FJ-09 factory lowered seat

Just wanting to comment on the factory Yamaha lowered seat on the FJ-09. Just for reference, I'm 5'4" with a 28" (or less) inseam. I've done pretty well over the last couple years with the seat in the low position. However, me having total confidence ridding with my pillion, windy days and long rides where fatigue sets in lower my confidence dramatically. Soooo,...I broke down, swallowed my pride and ordered the lowered/narrowed seat.

I went on a quick 70 mile ride today. The confidence when coming to a stop and at times with decent gusts of wind really increased. I really thought this was going to be perfect. But,...the longer I rode, the more sore my hindquarters became. Holy crap that thing is firm.

At this point I'm still too prideful to not lower the whole bike....but may need to swallow that pill at some point. I'll see how the lowered seat goes with my pillion and may just use it for that.

• Thumbsup 1

Try wearing a pair of padded bicycling shorts under your riding pants.  Makes a real difference for me and I have Comfort Seat.  Won't add too much height to your overall situation.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

10 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Try wearing a pair of padded bicycling shorts under your riding pants.  Makes a real difference for me and I have Comfort Seat.  Won't add too much height to your overall situation.

That's what I'm going to try to get some added cushion. Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Racinstripe67 said:

I have a factory lower seat and lower suspension dog bones for sale.....$200 for both.

Thanks for the offer,...I already have the seat and I'm not ready to actually lower the bike yet....ego and all. haha