Front end suspension question

Hiya lads n lassies. Interested to see/hear the responses to this slight 'issue'....

I just got new Michelin Pilot Road 5's fitted front and rear. And the grip and feel from them is superb, I am absolutely delighted with the handling of the bike and the grip levels and feedback.

BUT

When , the first time I rode with them, when accelerating hard, when the bike got to around 80-90 the front end started pattering or chattering, I dont know how else to describe it, almost like the feeling of the abs kicking in, regular sort of pulsing from the front wheel, like it is skimming the road like it's gone light on the front end. It doesn't get worse, it is constant.

SO
I checked the pressures, 38 front 46 rear. Put them down to 35 front 38 rear.
Rode again. And it was a wee bit better, but still, accelerating hard, when I hit around 80 and onwards, the same front end  chattering.

I suspect the front wheel balance (although there are new weights on it) , but I'm interested to hear what you all think it might be.

Cheers,

Stew

Do you only have the clip on weights?
I only ask as I had inquired my tire guy as to why he was using stick ons instead of the centerline with clips.
He couldn't get the tire balanced enough with the clip ons in the center of the wheel/spokes due to placement.

• Thumbsup 1

Stick on ones.

The tyre guy , that is all he does, and he knows his stuff, he mainly does bikes. I reckon it's out of balance though, but why it only shows up on hard acceleration at 70-80 + is the mystery to me.

• Supporting Member

@Stew - That certainly sounds like a wheel balance problem.   My PR4s suddenly started doing that near the end of their useful life, and my assumption was that it had thrown a wheel weight...   since they were due for replacement anyway, I didn't investigate further, and mounting new Road 5s solved the problem. 

It's conceivable you have a faulty/out-of-round tire, but that seems highly unlikely from Michelin.   I would definitely start with verifying the balance before digging any deeper. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a wee chat with the suspension guy that did my k-tech kit.  I'll try his suggestions tomorrow.

The tyres may have a slightly different profile to the originals which may throw it out slightly. It sounds to me like the weight is coming off the front so I would try adding some additional preload on the rear maybe 1 to 2 turns.  You can also take 1 or two turn off the front preload.

I'll update after testing.

Thanks all, I really do appreciate all the helpfulness.

I got the distinct feeling that the rear end was digging in, making the front go light, but not light enough to get flighty.

So I'll start with fiddling around with the rear preload.
BEcause other than this one specific state, the handling and grip on my bike now is stunning. I love it :)

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

I agree with increasing the rear preload  to put more weight on the front . At that speed the front is going to get light ,I think and may be some of the cause .Curious to see what you find out !    

MIKE

Edited by GTO MIKE
added a letter I missed
  • Thanks 1

Went with 1 turn on the rear preload to see if it made any difference, and it is improved , so I'll put another turn on tomorrow and have another wee test, but it would appear that the front was just going light, but not light enough to lift.

I'll update after more testing, but still loving the grip and all from the suspension/tyre (tire) improvements.

• Thumbsup 2

I think increasing preload is changing the bikes geometry for the better. Instead of preload, try adjusting the ride height, that’s if your shock has one ?  It will be a screwed thread at the base of shock rod. That way you’ll keep the correct sag setting but still alter the bikes geometry. As previously mentioned, I run my 5’s at 33-36, but heh, everyone’s got a difference of opinion on that. Might be worth a try ? You’ll appreciate the cold weather grip on the 5’s now though ! 

Edited by Tripletrouble
  • Thanks 1

might want to try have go back to the shop and have it remove the tire, rebalance and install back again, than try the rest of settings if same persist. no bike experience but on bicycle, have install the front one side not fully intact and i lock it, on downhill, my bike feel the wobble. 

just got a quote on Road 5 last couple days ago, than came lockdown yesterday, will wait next 2 weeks to get it changed. 

Following with interest how it performed as many have claim to be better than stock tires. Wanted Pirelli STR, they dont bring in, than wanted anakee adventure, front is 1 upsize, guess will go with Road 5.