Front end suspension question

I gave it a good thrashing last night, and it's just about right again now. It's got sooooo much grip with the new tyres, I'm sure you'll love them. Just give yourself a minute to get used to how different they feel, then feel your confidence rise and rise.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Just now, WKE002 said:

Stew, could it be due to new tires need running in..... anyway, counting down 13 days more to getting my tires change.

I did wonder that, but I could feel the back end was digging in more, so I sort of instinctively knew it needed just a wee tweak to the geometry to sit the front down a wee touch.

I've not properly scrubbed the tyres (tires) in yet, but if I am in the mood I might head off for a couple of days on the bike next day or two.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Raising your rear ride height is the proper way to go rather than changing your rear sag again I don't know what shock you have I can't remember

If you don't have adjustable ride height your only option is to increase preload in the rear and possibly reduce preload in the front. You can also play with tire pressure as you have. I would not suggest raising the fork tubes 5 mm, I think the 24 degrees of rake and 3.9 in of Trail provides quick enough quick turn-in that you don't need raise the forks. Balancing tires sometimes can be tricky I found that my front wheel on my FJ is very difficult to balance and takes a lot of weight for some reason. I'm running the Bridgestone t31 which are also very good. I haven't tried a Michelin on the FJ, the bridgestone's were just too good of a deal. I do run michelins on my other bikes but the latest version I have is maybe a 4.

• Thumbsup 2

14 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I do run michelins on my other bikes but the latest version I have is maybe a 4.

The difference between stock and Michelin 4 for me was substantial, grip and feel.  A new 4 felt better than my old 4. Felt same between my new 5 and old 4, so not a real difference. But, 5 is one more than 4, so Spinal Tap rule applies.

Edited by Tripletrouble
  • Like 1