Adjusted Rear Preload Too Far

So I was trying to adjust my rear preload to the max setting and rotated it one notch too far. It made a loud noise and I'm not sure if I messed something up. I can't rotate it back the other way now and I'm unsure what to do. Idk if I can just keep rotating it back around but I don't want to mess anything up so figured I'd reach out here.

• Supporting Member

First off, welcome to the forum!  It sounds like you tried to rotate the stepped preload ring past the top 'step' and it snapped back down to the low position?   The spring decompressing would explain that sound you heard.  

I'm not sure about just rotating the preload collar back around, but I suspect that will be your best bet.   I have the stock shock from my FJ in a box in the garage, so I'll go take a look in a few minutes and see what I can sort out for you. 

You took it too far and the spring shot from the highest preload to the lowest. Shouldn't have done any damage, just continue winding in the same direction and set it where you want.

BUT...Don't do it again. Might shear off those steps that hold it.

1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

First off, welcome to the forum!  It sounds like you tried to rotate the stepped preload ring past the top 'step' and it snapped back down to the low position?   The spring decompressing would explain that sound you heard.  

I'm not sure about just rotating the preload collar back around, but I suspect that will be your best bet.   I have the stock shock from my FJ in a box in the garage, so I'll go take a look in a few minutes and see what I can sort out for you. 

1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

You took it too far and the spring shot from the highest preload to the lowest. Shouldn't have done any damage, just continue winding in the same direction and set it where you want.

BUT...Don't do it again. Might shear off those steps that hold it.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I don't really know how the internals of a shock work so I didn't know if it just reset to the lowest position or what. I'll just keep rotating it and see what happens. Probably going to replace it soon anyway.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, NotVeryCreative16 said:

I'll just keep rotating it and see what happens. Probably going to replace it soon anyway.

You’re fine.  I just took a look at the shock off of mine, and the ramped adjuster just slams back to soft if you step over the top of the ramp...  no harm, no foul. 

19A349B0-AF7E-4391-8430-98905F6E05A3.thumb.jpeg.d049f0595c91080684f92751672d56a7.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, NotVeryCreative16 said:

What shock did you end up upgrading too? I think the suspension is going to be my next mod.

Ohlins 535 shock &  RaceTech gold valve forks.  It seriously transforms the bike... not cheap, but worth every penny. 

• Thumbsup 1

5 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Ohlins 535 shock &  RaceTech gold valve forks.  It seriously transforms the bike... not cheap, but worth every penny. 

I'm looking at the K-tech cartridge kit and RCU Razor-R shock. The Ohlins shock seems great from what I've read but not sure I can justify an extra $300 over the K-tech when they seem to be very similar.

• Supporting Member

@NotVeryCreative16 - I don’t have any personal experience with the K-Tech, but numerous members here have reported great results.   

The Ohlins shock is stellar, but I kind of wish I had done the full cartridge forks on the front.  The RaceTech is a vast improvement over stock, but it’s realistically about an 85% solution.  I’m thinking about upgrading to the full Ohlins NIX 30 cartridge forks at some point in the not-too-distant future.   

Browse the suspension forum for lots of member feedback.   Here’s what I wrote up about my suspension upgrade choices:

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, andz said:

How do you get in to adjust the preload on the stock shock? 

I can't figure it out with that stupid C tool.

Well, you first have to burn sage and invoke the gods. Then, with tool in hand, hit your head and admit futility. Repeat the second. If you still have the tool in your hand, and head damage did not dissuade you, you are the person for the job. Reach in on both sides and see which one gives you 1mm of travel potential, if any. Catch that? No real travel, just the hint of movement. You might get lucky and find on one. side you can get a good amount of movement, say 3-4 mmm, but invariably this places everything back into a spot where you can't get purchase anywhere. 

It is the single most ridiculous design defect and failure to think things through that I have found on my Tracer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, andz said:

How do you get in to adjust the preload on the stock shock? 

I can't figure it out with that stupid C tool.

I honestly don’t remember it being that difficult with the stock shock on my FJ, although I only adjusted it a couple of times before replacing it with an aftermarket shock.  

Do you have the bike on the center stand?   Definitely do that to fully extend the shock:  It gives you more room to work, and lightens the pressure on the preload adjustment collar.  

11 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I honestly don’t remember it being that difficult with the stock shock on my FJ, although I only adjusted it a couple of times before replacing it with an aftermarket shock.  

So you have the bike on the center stand?   Definitely do that to fully extend the shock:  It gives you more room to work, and lightens the pressure on the preload adjustment collar.  

no centre stand I'm afraid. I think I will take the bike for a service and ask the dealer to set the preload.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, andz said:

no centre stand I'm afraid.

Ouch.   I assume it interfered with an aftermarket exhaust, so you removed it?  

A center stand on a motorcycle is right up there with food and shelter on my hierarchy of needs...  :) 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1