Shoei Neotec 2

keithu

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Michiel900GT said:

I have the Neotec 2, but for next season I am considering buying a Shoei jet helmet for those 30°+ (Celsius) days. I know a jet helmet is not as safe as a full or modular helmet (system helmet as it is called in the Netherlands) but getting a heat stroke isn't really safe either.

LS2 makes an interesting modular/system helmet where the chin bar pivots all the way around to the back. It is designed to be "convertible" to an open face helmet while you ride. I tried one on and they don't fit me, but it might be worth a look.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 10/13/2020 at 8:53 AM, keithu said:

In typical Shoei fashion, the vents make almost no discernible difference. Open or close the chin or forehead vents and nothing feels different. I think I could just barely feel a slightly cooler spot on the top of my head with the forehead vent open, but it wasn't a huge difference. This was my experience with the RF-series helmets, too. 

I have the GT-Air and thought the same thing when I first used it (I too upgraded from a Scorpion EXO).  As I moved my chin slightly up or down, I found the 'sweet spot' and discovered it actually has a fair bit of ventilation, its not as immediately apparent as other helmets I have used.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I should have mentioned that this is my first helmet in 30+ years without D-rings. While I'm sure the D-rings are theoretically more secure, it's difficult to imagine a scenario in which this new ratchet-buckle would come loose in a crash.

I can quickly release the new buckle with gloved hands, which may not seem important until a bee flies inside you helmet. BTDT.

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, Danielblue said:

I can fit a proper KN95 headstrap respirator under a modular helmet.  Not sure I'd try getting a non modular helmet over one.

I understand that you can but... why would you? 🤷‍♀️

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Today I remembered another reason why I like modulars: it's easy to take a drink while riding. I can flip open the helmet and grab a quick drink from my hydration drink tube, or a sip of coffee from my Ram cupholder.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, keithu said:

Today I remembered another reason why I like modulars: it's easy to take a drink while riding. I can flip open the helmet and grab a quick drink from my hydration drink tube, or a sip of coffee from my Ram cupholder.

Anthony from Revzilla reviewed a modular helmet, might be first gen Neotec, and says “no it’s not a smoker’s helmet.“

• Haha 1

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, rustyshackles said:

Anthony from Revzilla reviewed a modular helmet, might br first gen Neotec, and says “no it’s not a smoker’s helmet.

It could be, though.

On 10/16/2020 at 9:52 PM, betoney said:

I understand that you can but... why would you? 🤷‍♀️

Rode through a bunch of states after the travel restrictions got lifted :)    Having done that I find having a filter reduces the allergy crap I deal with on a ride.  Might actually make it a standard part of my EDC gear through the worse air quality and pollen count days.  Didn't find it very restrictive at all, although I'm used to wearing filters from my old workplace so YMMV...  

Edited by Danielblue
  • Thumbsup 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

After much deliberation about whether a modular helmet was for me after wearing full face helmets all my riding life (except for my dirt bikes), I bit the bullet and purchased the Shoei Neotec 2 and the integrated SENA SRL comms.

I'm coming from a Shoei GT air and expected good things, fit and finish wise, and am not dissappointed.  I have to say I bought too large when I got the GT air and while it worked, I always felt as though it was just that - a bit too big.

The Neotec is a size smaller and I immediately knew that I had indeed make a mistake with the larger GT Air and cursed the attractive sales assistant who had said it was just perfect for me!  Looking back, I remembered that it was on sale and the last one on the shelf  - of course it was a perfect fit for me. 🙄  Stupid ego!

Being a bit 'old school', I never really considered a modular helmet, but for no good reason if I'm being honest.  Where I live the temperatures rarely get below 10deg C and are up in the 30s for a good part of the year which has me opening the visor often just to get some cooling air.  Also, when I stop for a quick drink it's always a matter of removing the full face helmet to access some aqua or fiddling with a straw to do the same.  Nipping into a shop or stopping with friends when out for a ride has me removing the full-face helmet just to be able to communicate effectively.

Now it's just a quick release button and a flip of the 'face' to do all of that without needing to remove the helmet.  Not to mention that it's easier to get on and off now with the face up.  It gives the 'wings' of the helmet just a bit more flex to be able to spread it while donning and as a bonus, no more dislodging of earplugs!  Happy days!

I'm finding the Neotec is definitely quieter - at least for me.  Probably due to two things.  The larger GT Air would have let a bit more wind up under the neck roll and the Neotec has a very close-fitting neck roll keeping that turbulence out.

Now the Sena SRL.... I really didn't want to go for an 'aging' technology which is what the SENA SRL is (an S20) but just couldn't go past the total seamless integration into the helmet that it offers plus the fact that I rarely ride with more than two to three others and so Bluetooth was good enough for my purposes.  I really just wanted something that does the following and in this order: -

1. GPS nav

2. I can listen to some tunes when the mood takes me.

3. I can receive a phone call.

4. Communication with the (very) occasional pillion.

5. Group ride comms.

I also own a CARDO Freecom 2 plus that I used in my GT AIR and while it served me well, I genuinely have to say that the SENA beats it for audio quality which surprised me.  Is this because the Neotec 2 is quieter?  Are the speakers positioned better for my ears.  Maybe?

As always YMMV and this is just my two bobs worth.

P.S. Have now come out of retirement and back to work to be able to afford them!! 😲

My new lid: -

1487472241_SplicerTC6.jpg.def931abea7af422516c2dae13d41183.jpg

• Thumbsup 5

Modular helmets are great aren't they! And integrated comms are so much neater. I have the Schuberth C3 and a built-in Sena unit and use them like you: music, satnav and occasional calls. It's so good to be able to flip the visor up when needed.

I did like your anecdote about the persuasion powers of attractive sales assistants 🤣

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

After much deliberation about whether a modular helmet was for me after wearing full face helmets all my riding life (except for my dirt bikes), I bit the bullet and purchased the Shoei Neotec 2 and the integrated SENA SRL comms.

I'm coming from a Shoei GT air and expected good things, fit and finish wise, and am not dissappointed.  I have to say I bought too large when I got the GT air and while it worked, I always felt as though it was just that - a bit too big.

Like with the GT-Air, there are various size liners and cheek pads available in 4mm increments to fine tune the fit. 

• Thumbsup 1