keithu

Shoei Neotec 2

1 hour ago, Michiel900GT said:

I have the Neotec 2, but for next season I am considering buying a Shoei jet helmet for those 30°+ (Celsius) days. I know a jet helmet is not as safe as a full or modular helmet (system helmet as it is called in the Netherlands) but getting a heat stroke isn't really safe either.

LS2 makes an interesting modular/system helmet where the chin bar pivots all the way around to the back. It is designed to be "convertible" to an open face helmet while you ride. I tried one on and they don't fit me, but it might be worth a look.

• Thumbsup 1

On 10/13/2020 at 8:53 AM, keithu said:

In typical Shoei fashion, the vents make almost no discernible difference. Open or close the chin or forehead vents and nothing feels different. I think I could just barely feel a slightly cooler spot on the top of my head with the forehead vent open, but it wasn't a huge difference. This was my experience with the RF-series helmets, too. 

I have the GT-Air and thought the same thing when I first used it (I too upgraded from a Scorpion EXO).  As I moved my chin slightly up or down, I found the 'sweet spot' and discovered it actually has a fair bit of ventilation, its not as immediately apparent as other helmets I have used.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Not all flip front helmets are legal to ride open face as many will know.  I bought the Shark evo one 2 so I could if I wanted. However,  I don't, but it is very handy in many other ways. I like them. 👍

On 10/13/2020 at 7:19 PM, colorider said:

the old fashion “D” rings.   

You mean the race spec, more safe and secure D rings.

• Thumbsup 1

58 minutes ago, andz said:

You mean the race spec, more safe and secure D rings.

Yep, those are the ones -  of which I still prefer after using them for close to 60 years......

I should have mentioned that this is my first helmet in 30+ years without D-rings. While I'm sure the D-rings are theoretically more secure, it's difficult to imagine a scenario in which this new ratchet-buckle would come loose in a crash.

I can quickly release the new buckle with gloved hands, which may not seem important until a bee flies inside you helmet. BTDT.

In our lovely we need masks now world... I can fit a proper KN95 headstrap respirator under a modular helmet.  Not sure I'd try getting a non modular helmet over one.   Plus one on the glasses thing too.

11 minutes ago, Danielblue said:

I can fit a proper KN95 headstrap respirator under a modular helmet.  Not sure I'd try getting a non modular helmet over one.

I understand that you can but... why would you? 🤷‍♀️

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Today I remembered another reason why I like modulars: it's easy to take a drink while riding. I can flip open the helmet and grab a quick drink from my hydration drink tube, or a sip of coffee from my Ram cupholder.

10 hours ago, keithu said:

Today I remembered another reason why I like modulars: it's easy to take a drink while riding. I can flip open the helmet and grab a quick drink from my hydration drink tube, or a sip of coffee from my Ram cupholder.

Anthony from Revzilla reviewed a modular helmet, might be first gen Neotec, and says “no it’s not a smoker’s helmet.“

• Haha 1

IBA Member #59800

11 minutes ago, rustyshackles said:

Anthony from Revzilla reviewed a modular helmet, might br first gen Neotec, and says “no it’s not a smoker’s helmet.

It could be, though.

On 10/16/2020 at 9:52 PM, betoney said:

I understand that you can but... why would you? 🤷‍♀️

Rode through a bunch of states after the travel restrictions got lifted :)    Having done that I find having a filter reduces the allergy crap I deal with on a ride.  Might actually make it a standard part of my EDC gear through the worse air quality and pollen count days.  Didn't find it very restrictive at all, although I'm used to wearing filters from my old workplace so YMMV...  

Edited by Danielblue
  • Thumbsup 2