Pretty quiet forum overall, but thrilled to be here!!

Ride365

I've been an on/off again Suzuki V-Strom owner since 2005 and have been helping run the largest V-Strom forum "Stromtrooper.com" on the net just as long, the difference in participation/traffic here between there is pretty dramatic. I have to assume that most here are out riding more, that and there are for sure fewer off topic sections than what are typical. Great forum and glad to be here, loving my new GT so far.........no more Stroms for me. :)

The Tracer GT very much looks to be on par with the V-Stroms for overall reliability, I know there has been some ailments with the FJ-09 but none which are beyond remedy, they too seem very much to be loved by their respective owners. The difference in fit and finish and overall riding experience vs the V-Stroms is dramatic, they really are not an adventure bike like they are being touted as......compared to the GS, Tigers, KTM Adventure, but the new 1050 is for sure "getting" on par with the best out there in that segment. I'm more on the sport side of sport touring, and the Stroms for as good and flexible as they are.......be quite boring and Toyota Camry like. Hope to be a good contributor here for a long time.....cheers everyone, and loving this bike!!!

• Thumbsup 4

• Premium Member

Welcome @Ride365.  Interesting observations, I have been considering adding a V-Strom 650 with expectation that it would be an upgrade to the FJ-09 for gravel/dirt/sand riding, does the Strom not handle this well?

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

@rustyshackles I took my vstrom 650 places you wouldnt believe it could get to. But it was brutally hard. They are far too top heavy, so once they start to go , abandon ship. I crossed deep rivers, climbed stupidly steep hills, rode around sand quarries, rode in deep mud often. The bike could do it, but slowly, and it was rarely relaxing. I can find you some photos if you want ;)

Tenere 700 would be much better I reckon, in fact I am sorely tempted by one, might even get rid of my CRF250L for one.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rustyshackles said:

Welcome @Ride365.  Interesting observations, I have been considering adding a V-Strom 650 with expectation that it would be an upgrade to the FJ-09 for gravel/dirt/sand riding, does the Strom not handle this well?

I took mine places I shouldn't have to be honest, and damn they suck to pick up when they fall. The biggest issue with the Strom is lack of ground clearance and a budget suspension "650", where the 1000 is better in the suspension dept for sure and honestly doesn't feel much heavier. But with proper tires, bashplate, engine guards and a big set of balls.....yeah they are capable off pavement. Get an Africa Twin or KTM 790 for that kind of riding, both are heads and tails better off pavement than a Strom, but the Stroms are dead reliable for sure and have a huge following and massive amounts of parts/upgrades available.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Ride365 said:

the Stroms are dead reliable for sure and have a huge following and massive amounts of parts/upgrades available.

That was a huge part of the appeal for me; a very strong aftermarket.  I recently sold my '02 DL1000 with ~32k on the odo.  And yeah...heavy bike.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

10 minutes ago, knyte said:

That was a huge part of the appeal for me; a very strong aftermarket.  I recently sold my '02 DL1000 with ~32k on the odo.  And yeah...heavy bike.

I previously owned a 2005 and 2006 1000, went with the 650XT model new back in 2015. The 650 is obviously better off the beaten path, but yeah the OEM suspension and brakes are simply awful. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I looked long and hard at a 2019 650...until realizing it was heavier than my DL1000!!!

...happened to see an FJ-09 in the same showroom, and, well...here I am :)

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Yamagun said:

I was considering a v-strom.  Checked most of the boxes for me.  In the end, I knew I wouldn't likely be off roading so decided on the tracer.

They are far from ideal off pavement bikes anyways, I don't care what anyone says to dispute otherwise. There will always be a compromise with any bike, but the low ground clearance, weight, budget suspension, and the fact you'll have to pick up the pig when it drops.....there are much better choices out there. :) I've also had a DR650 and it was a hoot off pavement and better on pavement than you would believe, few mods to a bike like that and very much what I consider a true dual sport machine. Of course new offerings from KTM can scratch that itch as well, they know a thing or 2 about off pavement capable machines. 

• Thumbsup 1

Me ,I never even considered the Tracer GT 900 as even close to an off road tool. My reason for buying for me was a replacement for the Heavy Honda ST 1300. Love the light weight , handling ,features and that great CP3 motor. Brought back the fun and thrills of riding !!

MIKE

• Thumbsup 4