Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Blythe

Hello from Canada!

Recommended Posts

Hello all! 

I've had my 2018 tracer for about 2 months now and absolutely love it!!! Can't work at a bike dealer and not scoop a new (to me) bike! Bought it at 1200km so virtually new!! I've been riding for about 4 years now and finally pitched the money to upgrade from my CBR300! 

Been considering putting some money into it and would very much value suggestions and opinions from those who have already modded and upgraded!

 

Things I want to add/change:

- new windscreen (wind buffeting on OEM is horrendous!) 

- fender eliminator (stock is obnoxious)

- LED turn signals (why are the running lights all LED but the front and rear turn signals not??)

- side cases (looking at the OEM city side cases and would like reviews! I don't have the GT so it didn't come with them)

- exhaust (not sure if i want slip on or full system but would like reviews on brands and which would be more worth the money for look and sound!)

 

If there's any tracer riders in Ontario that want to ride sometime or know some nice spots, let me know! Can't wait to drive this beaut everywhere!!

  • Thumbsup 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum ,Ontario is a fair size where are you located? I just got a 2015 around June getting K teck suspension  and also ordered a Hindle exhaust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ontheroad said:

Welcome to the forum ,Ontario is a fair size where are you located? I just got a 2015 around June getting K teck suspension  and also ordered a Hindle exhaust.

I'm in Southern Ontario near Toronto. I've been thinking of looking into Hindle or Akrapovic but im trying to decide between a slip on or full system! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Blythe said:

I'm in Southern Ontario near Toronto. I've been thinking of looking into Hindle or Akrapovic but im trying to decide between a slip on or full system! 

Im in Whitby so Hindle is close and they have a dyno,my system should be ready in a couple of weeks.Not much choice for slip on as far as I could tell .This will make a great winter project as I have new bars and heated seat pad to install also.

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ontheroad said:

Im in Whitby so Hindle is close and they have a dyno,my system should be ready in a couple of weeks.Not much choice for slip on as far as I could tell .This will make a great winter project as I have new bars and heated seat pad to install also.

@ontheroad - would love to see pictures etc. of the final result. I had a Hindle on my ZX-9R and loved it. Didn't know if they had something that would work with the FJ/Tracer. Their website as always been very confusing - to the point where I give up.

Cheers,

Rob

Cambridge, ON

  • Thumbsup 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Blythe

First off - welcome to the club!

Secondly - there are quite a few of us in Ontario. You can use the Member Map at the top menu to see who is in your area.

Also - there is a thread in the Canadian FJ-09 owners section here: 

As for your mods, I'll offer you my opinions (so take for what it's worth):

Windscreen - yes you will want to change if you are getting buffeting. Depending on your height - you might want to consider a shorter screen. I'm 5'8" and I went with an MRA Sport screen and love it. There is a bit more air flow than stock, but it's "clean" air - which I like. I'm not a hide behind the windscreen kind of rider. But everyone is different. People also seem to have good results with the Puig Sport.

Fender eliminator - I don't mind the stock one. I did replace the stock hugger with a Pyramid Plastics one. This bike throws up a LOT of dirt and debris when it's wet out. If you plan on doing any tours it helps a lot.

LED signals - why did Yamaha put f-ugly 90s pumpkin bulbs on this bike? No one knows - trying to use up some old stock maybe? I had the dealer install the OEM Yamaha LED signals. They look and work great. You will need a relay installed as well, otherwise they flash at the "Euro" rate. You also lose the daytime running light feature for the front if you go this route. There are options that you can find that will allow you to keep this feature - but I went with the OEM option for fit and finish.

Side cases - I have the city bags that came with my GT. They are small. Honestly - look at the Shad or Givi options. For less money you get way more room.

Exhaust -   lots of options here. I've been most intrigued by the Scorpion slip-on which requires you to cut the stock exhaust, eliminating the catalytic converter. There is a bunch of good info on this forum under the exhaust sub-forum.

Ride safe!

Rob

Cambridge, ON

 

 

  • Thumbsup 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! @Blythe As Rob mentioned, there are a few us of us Southern Ontario... I organized the Hockley meetup last year (nothing this year due to COVID) but hoping to do something again in the future.

I've done all the mods you mentioned, let me know if you have any questions. As others pointed out, slipons are rare for this bike because it requires you to cut the original system behind the headers, then install a midpipe.

I put on a full Delkevic system and paid $450 USD for it (picked it up in Detroit on my way home from the Dragon last year), but they do ship to Canada if you're interested - you'll just be on the hook for tax/duties. Here's the system I bought. Its loud, but not obnoxious (except when you get the revs up there.. then its very loud lol)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2020 at 9:25 PM, ontheroad said:

Im in Whitby so Hindle is close and they have a dyno,my system should be ready in a couple of weeks.Not much choice for slip on as far as I could tell .This will make a great winter project as I have new bars and heated seat pad to install also.

I'm actually in Whitby myself, and I didn't realize hindle was so close! Im going to give them a call today for a quote! Especially during covid, I would love to support local!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 9:46 AM, rlambke19 said:

@Blythe

First off - welcome to the club!

Secondly - there are quite a few of us in Ontario. You can use the Member Map at the top menu to see who is in your area.

Also - there is a thread in the Canadian FJ-09 owners section here: 

As for your mods, I'll offer you my opinions (so take for what it's worth):

Windscreen - yes you will want to change if you are getting buffeting. Depending on your height - you might want to consider a shorter screen. I'm 5'8" and I went with an MRA Sport screen and love it. There is a bit more air flow than stock, but it's "clean" air - which I like. I'm not a hide behind the windscreen kind of rider. But everyone is different. People also seem to have good results with the Puig Sport.

Fender eliminator - I don't mind the stock one. I did replace the stock hugger with a Pyramid Plastics one. This bike throws up a LOT of dirt and debris when it's wet out. If you plan on doing any tours it helps a lot.

LED signals - why did Yamaha put f-ugly 90s pumpkin bulbs on this bike? No one knows - trying to use up some old stock maybe? I had the dealer install the OEM Yamaha LED signals. They look and work great. You will need a relay installed as well, otherwise they flash at the "Euro" rate. You also lose the daytime running light feature for the front if you go this route. There are options that you can find that will allow you to keep this feature - but I went with the OEM option for fit and finish.

Side cases - I have the city bags that came with my GT. They are small. Honestly - look at the Shad or Givi options. For less money you get way more room.

Exhaust -   lots of options here. I've been most intrigued by the Scorpion slip-on which requires you to cut the stock exhaust, eliminating the catalytic converter. There is a bunch of good info on this forum under the exhaust sub-forum.

Ride safe!

Rob

Cambridge, ON

 

 

Hey Rob, 

 

Thanks so much for your input! First scrolling through the forum it appeared so many were from the US, I didn't realize that there were going to be this many from the GTA! 

 

You make some good to think about points in regard to the size of the city cases and considering a smaller windscreen for clean air rather than hiding! I'll definitely explore what it's like to ride with short (or simply remove mine first) before investing in a taller screen. As for the side cases I think im going to contact snow city and see if they have them on hand for me to look at the size. I was them large enough without being obnoxious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Husqy said:

Welcome! @Blythe As Rob mentioned, there are a few us of us Southern Ontario... I organized the Hockley meetup last year (nothing this year due to COVID) but hoping to do something again in the future.

I've done all the mods you mentioned, let me know if you have any questions. As others pointed out, slipons are rare for this bike because it requires you to cut the original system behind the headers, then install a midpipe.

I put on a full Delkevic system and paid $450 USD for it (picked it up in Detroit on my way home from the Dragon last year), but they do ship to Canada if you're interested - you'll just be on the hook for tax/duties. Here's the system I bought. Its loud, but not obnoxious (except when you get the revs up there.. then its very loud lol)

Hey, 

Thanks for your input! I would love to meet up and ride with you guys next time you plan something (once covid bites the dust)! With the mods I mentioned, my biggest battle is figuring out which to do first!! That's good to know about full system vs slip on, I've also been hearing that a challenge with exhaust swap is whether or not the centre stand can still be functional, which I dont want to give up! Im looking more and more into Hindle as I didn't realize they were so close and I love to support local!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Blythe said:

I'm actually in Whitby myself, and I didn't realize hindle was so close! Im going to give them a call today for a quote! Especially during covid, I would love to support local!

Cool.

Let us know what you find out. Always liked Hindle's quality. Glancing at their website (which is way better than it used to be) - looks like they offer full systems - and you can choose which style and finish of muffler you add to it.

Rob

Edited by rlambke19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rlambke19 said:

Cool.

Let us know what you find out. Always liked Hindle's quality. Glancing at their website (which is way better than it used to be) - looks like they offer full systems - and you can choose which style and finish of muffler you add to it.

Rob

Full system is only $1.100 for me, tax included and free shipping. 

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ontheroad said:

Full system is only $1.100 for me, tax included and free shipping. 

What finish did you go with on your muffler? I think I spec'd out a oval C/F and it was around $1000 before tax.

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rlambke19 said:

What finish did you go with on your muffler? I think I spec'd out a oval C/F and it was around $1000 before tax.

Rob

Black ceramic can with carbon fiber end cap.

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hindle header pipes look nice. I do have to admit that I am not that opposed to the look of the stock header. Hence why I liked the concept of the Scorpion slip-on as it keeps the stock header. I find the Akrapovic header to be very "square" looking. It doesn't hug the engine like the stock one does. One of  the things I really like about the Tracer is how it looks almost windswept and aggressive. Slapping on a boxy looking header pipe ruins that look for me. Yeah, I spend too much time thinking about this stuff. 😉

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


×