KERPLUNK into 1st gear?

New 900 GT and I have a question about the gearbox.

Is it normal to go KERPLUNK into 1st gear? It`s quite a jolt when I drop into 1st from neutral. All other gears "snick" into place but from neutral to 1st is quite a jolt. Clutch freeplay is according to the manual and the chain is adjusted correctly.

Is this normal for the bike or is it cause for concern? The bike doesn`t lurch forward and it doesn`t do it when I shift from 2nd to 1st.

This is my first bike in a long time and hopefully this is normal.

Any consensus here?

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, DaStray said:

New 900 GT and I have a question about the gearbox.

Is it normal to go KERPLUNK into 1st gear? It`s quite a jolt when I drop into 1st from neutral. All other gears "snick" into place but from neutral to 1st is quite a jolt. Clutch freeplay is according to the manual and the chain is adjusted correctly.

Is this normal for the bike or is it cause for concern? The bike doesn`t lurch forward and it doesn`t do it when I shift from 2nd to 1st.

This is my first bike in a long time and hopefully this is normal.

Any consensus here?

Yes, it is normal.  The rest of the gears should be butter smooth when shifting up and down.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I laughed when I saw the topic of this thread because I knew exactly what you were going to ask before I read it. Kerplunk would be the perfect word and/or sound for the bike going into first gear on my bike as well. I've read so many threads about the noises this bike makes that I've stopped paying any attention where as before I was hyper-sensitive over any noises. It's a great bike. I know you will enjoy it! 

• Thumbsup 4

I found this explanation on another forum and it explains it well. I’ve edited it slightly for clarity.

”motorcycle clutches use multiple plates, which do not free completely from their adjacent plate as they are contained in an oil bath. Consequently, there will still be some spinning of the input shaft when you pull the clutch lever in. Even if you held the clutch in for a long time you may find that although the plates have now stopped, the gear won’t engage smoothly as the dogs on the  shafts may not be fully aligned with the mating slots. This effect can also be seen in reverse if you coast to a stop and then struggle to find neutral.

The effect is bigger for first gear as the speed difference between this gear and the engine has its biggest ratio. The sliding dog has to engage with a slot that has the biggest speed difference. As you go up the gears, the speed difference decreases and gear changes get smoother.“

• Thumbsup 5
  • Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Thanks guys and girls for the replies and I`ve got to tell you, it`s a relief for sure.

I was afraid that I was one of the "unlucky few" that have have problems right out of the gate as we`ve all seen before and not just with Yamaha but with almost any new vehicle or even appliance for that matter. You know what I`m talking about as I`m sure you`ve read some horror story about some poor guy /girl who is experiencing something bad and you think, "Whew, I`m glad that isn`t me".

Now I can find something else to worry about 😉

• Thumbsup 1

My FZ 1 and Super Tenere did it and the current Tracer is no different.  Guess it's a Yammie thing.  Never encountered any shifting problems going through the gears. Some of my other bikes over the years did it and some didn't. 

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, DaStray said:

Pro tip:  Don’t overthink the random mechanical noises these bikes generate.  :D 

My FJ has clunked, rattled, buzzed, and whined over 20k miles, with zero mechanical issues.  These are just mechanically ‘busy’ motorcycles, and I’ve found that good ear plugs make it a much more pleasant experience.  

Enjoy your bike! 

• Thumbsup 7

On the back of this......... has anyone had a problem going up through the gears moving up but there isn't a gear there so take the pressure of the gear lever then re apply the up shift and up it goes to the next gear. (I hope I have explained this so that it makes sence).

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, chris wilkins said:

On the back of this......... has anyone had a problem going up through the gears moving up but there isn't a gear there so take the pressure of the gear lever then re apply the up shift and up it goes to the next gear. (I hope I have explained this so that it makes sence).

Yes, when you shift up you have to take pressure off the shift lever a bit almost like a “reset” position and then it will up-shift effortlessly. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, chris wilkins said:

You may find you have to adjust the gear shift linkage, probably by shortening it slightly.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

It's likely the toe of you boot is keeping a tiny bit of up force on the shift lever.

Happens on my FJ if I get lazy and don't return fully after each upshift.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

My 2015 sounds like it is in the middle of a horrendous asthma attack when sitting in neutral, it is quite hilarious once you realise it's not about to explode, and the clang into first is spectacular.

Pretty sure it is a Yamaha 'feature' , my old FJ1200's used to be the exact same, at least that clang into 1st gear.

A lot of motorcycles do this ! Sometimes you can hold the clutch in for a bit before engaging first and sometimes it will go in a lot smoother. I found the best way to eliminate this is to leave it in first on startup. mount up, kick up the side stand pull in the clutch and your ready to go . No drama and no noise. Works for me and its like automatic for me now.

8 hours ago, DaStray said:

Thanks guys and girls for the replies and I`ve got to tell you, it`s a relief for sure.

I was afraid that I was one of the "unlucky few" that have have problems right out of the gate as we`ve all seen before and not just with Yamaha but with almost any new vehicle or even appliance for that matter. You know what I`m talking about as I`m sure you`ve read some horror story about some poor guy /girl who is experiencing something bad and you think, "Whew, I`m glad that isn`t me".

Like they say... "Ride more and worry less".

Blue Lives Matter

22 hours ago, betoney said:

Yes, it is normal.  The rest of the gears should be butter smooth when shifting up and down.

Mine sure doesn't, sometimes its pure hell to shift into 3rd or 4th, totally confusing me as I have never owned a bike that's done this. Short shift and or at lows revs and it's fine, but when I roll that throttle on harder from 2nd trying to shift into 3rd......NOTHING/NADA have to slam my boot up hard for it to engage. :( 

Edited by Ride365