Fuel tank punch mod.

peteinpa

Heard of this awhile ago, now thinking of doing it. This comes up every time here when you can't get the amount of fuel into the tank you should.

IF you take your time, have a pump that can fill slowly, Cali. with your evap. tube forget it, Nobody waiting on your pump, etc. Fill past the bottom holes to the lip of the tank and it will drop down. it will do this MANY times. This will get you 1/2 US gallon more in the tank. If you typically fill till the pump shuts off with the nozzle deep in the tank, and don't keep squeezing more in, you are probably missing a gallon of capacity.

This answers all the questions of "I ran out of gas and only put in 4 gallons."

Now onto the mod. Do a search and it's been done on many types and makes of bikes. You need to make a punch hole high up in the filler neck to let this trapped air out to completely fill with gas. The FZ-09 guys know about and some have done it. Then you can fill all the way with out the long wait. 

Don't fill this way or do the mod and then park the bike.  If you fuel up and ride 10 or more miles it's fine.

Still deciding if I want to punch a hole or not.

Feel free to comment.

Just now, colorider said:

I’ve done this mod several times on previous Yamaha bikes (FJR’s and Tenere’s).

it works!

Great, did you do it to your Tracer GT?

Can you give a short tutorial on the actual punching with location, size, how many, etc.?

I did it on my Tenere and also on the GT when I got  it... it helps some... but really, filling up at about 150 miles is about the best thing you can do.  I punched a couple holes and it still fills slow so not sure it's a huge benefit.

Have not yet done it on the Tracer, but the filler looks much the same.  
I would typically punch two holes - one on each side, but I suppose you could punch three spaced at 120 degrees.   
The photo shows where I usually place the holes, just below the ring.

A125B6FA-83FB-43C5-852D-7242BDB55A32.jpeg

Edited by colorider

2 minutes ago, mellow said:

I did it on my Tenere and also on the GT when I got  it... it helps some... but really, filling up at about 150 miles is about the best thing you can do.  I punched a couple holes and it still fills slow so not sure it's a huge benefit.

Yeah, it was a non issue on the ST 1300.  7.7 gallons to play with, I do miss that. Don't miss the weight though.

I'd use my ST as a fueling tanker, fill it with E0, ride home, and siphon 5 gallons out for my small engines.

Using my slow fill I don't get my fuel warning till 180 or more miles.

What technique did you use to punch your holes?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, peteinpa said:

Yeah, it was a non issue on the ST 1300.  7.7 gallons to play with, I do miss that. Don't miss the weight though.

I'd use my ST as a fueling tanker, fill it with E0, ride home, and siphon 5 gallons out for my small engines.

Using my slow fill I don't get my fuel warning till 180 or more miles.

What technique did you use to punch your holes?

I put a towel in the opening and then just had a punch from my tools.  light tapping w/rubber mallet... always on the right side obviously since you typically fill on the side stand.  I usually hit the fuel warning at 170-180 and put in 4.1 gallons.

Yep, I have done this little mod to every bike I have owned since the advent of the modern filler tube "Limiter". I can't even remember who showed it to me.

A few common sense things to consider though.

Use a punch not a drill so as to avoid filings. 

I do three medium holes, and that works fine. YMMV. I also use a gadget that holds back the rubber cuff on the pump handle if there is one, so as to be able to control the flow at the top. Even with the relief holes, you must fill slowly.

Of course, do not fill to the limit on the center stand and then park on the side stand. You will loose what you have gained quickly. 

Do not fill to the top on very hot days if you are not "In transit" - I only fill to the top if I am going to get back on and ride a distance. Parking, even on the center stand on a hot day, the gas will expand and exit through the overflow tube, that is why the limiter is there of course.

I have never had a problem related to this little mod except a sore butt from staying in the saddle too long.

* I have no financial relationship to any hole punch or nail set manufacturer.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

I've often thought about it but yeah, ultimately I'm just never in a situation where I desperately need that extra capacity AND will find it particularly onerous to just slowly squeeze in the extra fuel.  The Tracer's tank is reasonably sized, and at least everywhere I find myself gas stations are readily available or there's lots of advance notice.  Hell, even on my MT07, it was so rarely an issue that filling the last part slowly was rare enough as to just not matter.

Contrast that with the terror of potentially damaging the tank in the process (my willingness to get my hands dirty coupled with my general idiocy make this a real danger)... nah.

Also: am I the only one who just stays on the bike when filling?   I don't think in 25 years of riding, I've ever gotten off my bike to fill it.  

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Also: am I the only one who just stays on the bike when filling?   I don't think in 25 years of riding, I've every gotten off my bike to fill it.  

Yep, that's weird. 😁

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 4