Fuel tank punch mod.

peteinpa

Naughty, naughty staying on bike for fill up. That is a direct violation!

Done. Starting with 1 hole, filling tomorrow. I removed the cap and ring assembly for a better angle.

20201021_155004.jpg

Edited by peteinpa

26 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Also: am I the only one who just stays on the bike when filling?   I don't think in 25 years of riding, I've every gotten off my bike to fill it.  

No. 43 years or so doing it this way and haven't caught on fire despite the dire warnings encountered in some uptight foreign countries about the practice. There's more risk of nasty eye splash than fire IME so keep eye protection on.

Have used the recovery boot retainers but meh. Two gloved fingers and watch the fill. Can get it full without it taking a long time. Lotsa practice with commutes that require filling every two days I guess :) 

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Also: am I the only one who just stays on the bike when filling?   I don't think in 25 years of riding, I've every gotten off my bike to fill it.  

Everyone I ride with refuels while sitting on the bike, I am the only one who gets off and puts it on the center stand  to refuel. 🤷‍♀️

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Sidestand filler here. It’s a good excuse to stretch my legs. Top up, wait for some gurgles, top up again, maybe trickle a bit more in. Reset mile counter. Repeat at around 190 miles unless the reserve menu pops up beforehand. I’m never far from a fuel stop do I don’t worry about cramming a bit more in.

• Thumbsup 3

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Always get off the bike usually put on centre stand and fill as recomended in handbook. One of My riding buddys always sits on bike but sometimes the staff at the filling station don't activate the pump if he is doing this. In all my years of riding I have only had one spill. On tour this summer the loaded panniers had let bike sit on back wheel when on the centre stand. As I fueled up the ballance point changed and the bike dropped on to the front wheel moving the nozzle away from the tank and spilling petrol down the tank and on to the hot engine case. I was glad I was standing next to the bike when it did this  but this woudn't have happened if I had been astride it. I will still get off every time don't particularly want to bath my bits in petrol if it does spill.

22 minutes ago, HGP61 said:

Always get off the bike usually put on centre stand and fill as recomended in handbook. One of My riding buddys always sits on bike but sometimes the staff at the filling station don't activate the pump if he is doing this. In all my years of riding I have only had one spill. On tour this summer the loaded panniers had let bike sit on back wheel when on the centre stand. As I fueled up the ballance point changed and the bike dropped on to the front wheel moving the nozzle away from the tank and spilling petrol down the tank and on to the hot engine case. I was glad I was standing next to the bike when it did this  but this woudn't have happened if I had been astride it. I will still get off every time don't particularly want to bath my bits in petrol if it does spill.

Wow your very lucky! Good info on what can happen if on center stand .You must have been barely in the fill hole and not paying full attention.  Whoops!  MIke.

1 hour ago, GTO MIKE said:

You must have been barely in the fill hole and not paying full attention

Yip, the tank was almost full at that point and I was putting in the last litre or so and I had glanced over my shoulder at the pump display to see how much had gone in when it moved down. Probably only spilled half a teacup full down the side of the tank.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, HGP61 said:

On tour this summer the loaded panniers had let bike sit on back wheel when on the centre stand. As I fueled up the ballance point changed and the bike dropped on to the front wheel moving the nozzle away from the tank and spilling petrol down the tank and on to the hot engine case.

Wow, you must have been really loaded up. My FJ-09 never rests on the rear wheel, even with my 40L panniers crammed full and my aux tank topped up with 3+ gallons of fuel. This photo was taken while fully loaded up, and the rear wheel is still off the ground.

2020_0813_05550900.thumb.jpg.d4d4feba455f7686cdf2c6d0ae9d2f68.jpg

Another thing to bear in mind, I'd only had the tracer a few weeks,  was filling up on sidestand not paying full attention (sexy lady near-by ) and the pump didn't auto shut off. Petrol everywhere,  I got pump back and got out of the way, not being sure of how the petrol and hot engine/exhaust  would get on. Luckily, no fire. Told the attendent what I thought of his pump, straight home and a good wash down. Luckily,  all good, but I would never fill up sat on bike. However,  my mate does it all the time and he's an ex mod bike cop. 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, keithu said:

Wow, you must have been really loaded up.

I wasn't actully that bad, as a matter of interest this year (well if truth be told I was bored) I weighed myself and my gear before our  summer tour. I stood at 95KG in my riding gear and my panniers and top box loaded with camping gear and stuff for the holiday came in at 25kg. Might pull the bike down with the luggage scales next time I have it out to see what weight balances it.

I then felt very brave and said to my wife (who has no inclination thankfully to join me on the bike) if she wanted to join me she would have to weigh in at less than 60kg. She smiled sweetly at me and said "thats never going to happen" still not sure if she meant the pillion or the weight loss.

FILE0582.JPG

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, HGP61 said:

I then felt very brave and said to my wife (who has no inclination thankfully to join me on the bike) if she wanted to join me she would have to weigh in at less than 60kg. She smiled sweetly at me and said "thats never going to happen" still not sure if she meant the pillion or the weight loss.

You live dangerously. 

So the hole DID help today at fill up. I could see the air coming out. I might put in 1 more hole 180 degrees from the other.

From my previous fill where I  s l o w l y squeezed more in, I went 198 miles till the fuel gauge started flashing. It's worth it. That was not from good MPG.

I ran 20 miles on reserve and put 4.462 gallons in.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

I watched a guy riding a made in Milwaukee product fill his bike with it running and spill gas all over the place. You can't fix stupid no matter how many skulls you have on your bike.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.