First impressions - and a conclusion...

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

Yes. I can confirm that after the peg feely thinga ma bobs are removed the next peice of the bike to hit is the center stand. Please note that i am not a standard size and take the stock suspension to its limits so the ground clearance for my riding style and weight is minimized servely.

But still...the bike still puts a shit eating grin on ma face when i ride the shit out of it.

Next step is a chat with Traxxion i believe.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I the only one that likes the FJ seat? I have had two longer rides, one 260 miles, one 175 miles, and while I could certainly feel it when I got home I found the seat to be surprisingly good. Maybe it fits my long and lanky frame better! I had a Sargent seat on an SV, a vain attempt to make a small bike fit a big guy. Beautifully made seat though.

I find the hero blob on the left peg really gets in the way when trying to get the side stand down. Useful to know they spanner off.

L of S, welcome to the FJ fold :)

Am I the only one that likes the FJ seat? I have had two longer rides, one 260 miles, one 175 miles, and while I could certainly feel it when I got home I found the seat to be surprisingly good. Maybe it fits my long and lanky frame better! I had a Sargent seat on an SV, a vain attempt to make a small bike fit a big guy. Beautifully made seat though. 
I find the hero blob on the left peg really gets in the way when trying to get the side stand down. Useful to know they spanner off.

L of S, welcome to the FJ fold :)I find the standard seat fine, have done a 4 hour run on the twisties with it altho I have an Airhawk for seriously long rides if needs be 8-)

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Cost of seat fix-  stapler about $25, foam $10. Is that cheap enough! 
.....plus maybe an hour of your time.............Ive just seen that you have a stapler and foam.   What are you waiting for!!!!

ps. 20mm foam , though thicker , will still fit( the cover , being elastic, will stretch a bit, and there is enough "spare"  cover beyond the original staples that you can use.)     Depends on its compressibility. You could take it to Clark rubber and put it and the clark foam on a hard chair and compare them. You may end up with a better seat than mine!!

Thanks for these cuppla very useful - and may I say reassuring - posts and suggestions, Bunyip!

Bleeve it or not, I had, after a fair bit of head-scratching and sleeping on it, come to the same conclusion, and will certainly take the route you've suggested, certainly as a 'first-step'. My stapler is problee not adequate for the job, being a lightweight hobbyist's job (ex ALDI IIRC, but it got me through a cuppla ply boat-building tasks!). I don't think - but cannot be sure, not having the seat in front of me - that the jaws of my stapler will get tightly enough into some of the narrow crevices under the seat.

What I'll do is this: take your notes with my foam and the front seat to the local boat upholstery guy I've already chatted to about this, and ask him to do exactly what you've detailed: it's what I had in mind to attempt myself, but as said the stapler isn't likely to be up to it. If the seat then feels too hard, I'll get to Clark's and buy the 1/2" stuff you've recommended.

All this will be job #1 when I take delivery next week! (Job #2 - new FIAMM air-horn: the OE unit, like the ones on pretty much all bikes I've had, is pathetic - my doggie has squeaky toys that are more authoritative and attention-grabbing!).

Thank you again, Bunyip (where are you?) - and others who have commented on this matter. I'll report back later..

L of S ('39 model)
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

(Job #2 - new FIAMM air-horn: the OE unit, like the ones on pretty much all bikes I've had, is pathetic - my doggie has squeaky toys that are more authoritative and attention-grabbing!).

Doggie squeaky toy horn, I like it! ::)

I'll be upgrading my horn too, but probably not all the way up to air horn.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
 (Job #2 - new FIAMM air-horn: the OE unit, like the ones on pretty much all bikes I've had, is pathetic - my doggie has squeaky toys that are more authoritative and attention-grabbing!).
Doggie squeaky toy horn, I like it! ::) 

Deersslayer - change of approach! Just ordered online a Stebel Magnum 139 Db electric horn (NOT air). Had them before - mini-Mack truck-like sound, but not offensively loud! About AUD$23 inc modest postage.

L of S

• Premium Member
I'll do the same as soon as I get the fuse panel installed and find some place to put the relay.  I did that on the SVS and it made an incredible difference in highway moron alerting.  On that bike I just picked up the low tone high-decibel horn that they had in stock at the FLAPS, and a relay while I was there.  I couldn't have spent more than $30 full retail, one of the cheapest and most effective things I did to that bike. 
That was plenty loud enough, so I see no need for an air horn.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Am I the only one that likes the FJ seat?
I've never found a stock seat uncomfortable.  With my "test sit" today, I think any possible discomfort from the FJ seat would be solved by a pair of padded bicycle shorts.  It's narrower than my old ZX6R and no more or less firm than my current WR. 

Archived