Trailering FJ with my vette

Thought I would share a I pic I have over in the Corvette Forum where I sought advice on whether it was a good idea to tow a trailer with a vette.

I think the responses were split into thirds....1) dangerous or owner manual says "no" , 2) looks stupid or 3) go for it! 

When I retire, I want to travel the USA with this rig where I expect to find better riding roads than the Houston area. That should be easy to find.

img_2649_d06964f7b92f2f8ec11ecf3cdf8c4e0

• Like 2

To hell with what the owner's manual says. Also, to hell with what it looks like.

Things to look out for and assess safety:

1. Is the hitch properly attached to the car? Bolted to structural steel is preferred (if the car has any??). Structural aluminum at second best.

2. Is the rear suspension squished? That can be rectified with suspension upgrades, but you don't want to upset the balance of the car, it will make steering less responsive, sometime to the point of massive understeer. 

3. When braking, does the trailer noticeably push the car around? Do you have to correct with the steering wheel? 

4. At freeway speeds does the trailer buffet the car around, again look for having to correct with the steering wheel.

Good luck!

PS, love the yellow.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

Sweet setup! I tow a trailer with a Chevy Cruze, I think a Vette can handle it. I "think" it has enough HP.

Edit: So the owners manual says no towing? What is the trailer hitch bolted to? Vettes are alluminum and fiberglass.

Edited by peteinpa
  • Haha 1

1. Is the hitch properly attached to the car? Bolted to structural steel is preferred (if the car has any??). Structural aluminum at second best.

YES. I installed a Curt hitch designed specifically for my model. Rated at 2000# towing and 200# tongue weight. The base Corvette has a full steel frame (Z06 is aluminum). Hitch bolts to the steel frame in 4 spots.

2. Is the rear suspension squished? That can be rectified with suspension upgrades, but you don't want to upset the balance of the car, it will make steering less responsive, sometime to the point of massive understeer. 

The total trailer GVW loaded with all the gear is 1000# and has 100# tongue weight due to the positioning of the bike. Measured the fender lip before and after and there is zero squish with 100 pounds added.

3. When braking, does the trailer noticeably push the car around? Do you have to correct with the steering wheel? 

I road tested after I loaded it up. Stomped on brakes at 50mph...trailer stayed true behind the car. Did some hard braking while making turns with no evidence of the trailer trying to push the car around. Was surprised it handled so well. No sway...no corrections required.

4. At freeway speeds does the trailer buffet the car around, again look for having to correct with the steering wheel.

Haven't tested it on the freeway yet. We will see. Tire speed recommendation is max 55mph even though many do 70 without any tire or bearing troubles. They are only 12" wheels which is a minus for this cheapie Harbor Freight. Otherwise good trailer.

• Premium Member

if this is truly your goal: When I retire, I want to travel the USA with this rig where I expect to find better riding roads than the Houston area. That should be easy to find.

You would be better off with something that is designed for towing. No doubt the Vette will tow the bike, but going across country, you will put some serious wear on the car, and stress it in ways that won't be good. Used tow vehicles are easy to find, and will hold their value, and you won't have to ruin such a nice car....... My 2 cents, worth every penny you paid for it.....

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Brian said:

Yes. Got a lot of responses reminding me of that. I think manual also says to not exceed the speed limit.

If it’s any consolation, the FJ owners manual is full of things I blatantly disregard on a regular basis...   Based on your description of the towing setup, I have to think you’re just fine.  

What part of Houston?  I’m out in the southwest ‘burbs of Fort Bend county.  There are a few decent roads around, but you definitely have to know where to look.  

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, Brian said:

...Tire speed recommendation is max 55mph even though many do 70 without any tire or bearing troubles. They are only 12" wheels which is a minus for this cheapie Harbor Freight. Otherwise good trailer.

Awesome bike, awesome Corvette, you could enjoy this stage of life much more with an awesome trailer.

Maybe the Vette isn't set up to pull a heavier enclosed trailer, but some money well spent will give you piece of mind. Those tires are "may-pops" if only rated for 55 mph

• Thumbsup 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

3 hours ago, texscottyd said:

What part of Houston?  I’m out in the southwest ‘burbs of Fort Bend county.  There are a few decent roads around, but you definitely have to know where to look.  

I am near you....down 288 in Pearland. I have done the Hill Country rides. Think my maiden trip, where i don't have to go too far from home, will be Arkansas. Looks like some good roads around The Quachita National Forest.

• Thumbsup 2