A Pandemic Adventure - 8 days, 2250 miles, tow trucks and snow!

40 minutes ago, keithu said:

Excellent! Nicely edited. I only shoot still photos on my tours, which inevitably misses what I saw on the road. This is a fantastic way to share your trip.

Yeah, doing video over long trips can be a real PITA, the Innovv K2 makes it pretty easy, but still  had to offload the SD card nightly to not lose any data.   (I have a WD Passport portable HD that you can just put a SD card into and it copies all the info).

THe dashcam setup made it nice and easy to figure out what killed the oil pan :)

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Really professionally done!  I enjoyed the trip with you!

You've taught me a few things on how to put a video together that doesn't bore the viewer.  However, I've got a long way to go to get anywhere near your quality of production!  Wow!

Sincerely, thanks for sharing the journey. 🙂

• Thumbsup 2

Terrific!! It felt like I was on this ride. To wit, the screen grab below I found myself leaning more and more as that guardrail got uncomfortably close. 

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 4.51.59 AM.png

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

2 hours ago, maximo said:

Terrific!! It felt like I was on this ride. To wit, the screen grab below I found myself leaning more and more as that guardrail got uncomfortably close. 

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 4.51.59 AM.png

Yeah, truth is, that was a bit close for me as well :)   Came in a bit hot on that one, and there was gravel in the line I wanted, so I had to drift wide on the corner.  Made some good video though ;)

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

Yeah, doing video over long trips can be a real PITA, the Innovv K2 makes it pretty easy, but still  had to offload the SD card nightly to not lose any data. 

I fully understand. I used to do some video work (marketing and industrial training videos) and I know how laborious it can be. What software do you use for editing? 

• Thumbsup 1

Awesome geopraphy and video work. Thanks for sharing. Once upon a time I traveled those roads, but in a cage. I can't wait to get some time in Southern Utah on two wheels, on Hwy 12 and the like. Your oil pan experience confirms my own fear of the way it is exposed so nakedly. I also worry about a rock piercing the oil filter, which is not apparently protected by the SW Motech. But spending $300 on a bigger sump guard is just, well, hard to do. 

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, keithu said:

I fully understand. I used to do some video work (marketing and industrial training videos) and I know how laborious it can be. What software do you use for editing? 

I use Adobe Premiere Pro / After Effects.    Light on the AE use this round, but Premiere is a tool I've used going back to the pre-Pro versions in the mid 90's :)    But I haven't worked day-to-day with NLE/Video Editing stuff since the early 2000's so this is all just a hobby and having fun flexing my creative muscles now and then :)   I had to get creative this round since dumping hundreds of video files and over 1TB of data into Premiere Pro really crushed my HP Spectre X360 I used to do the editing on (even with 16GB of ram, and a top tier 2TB nvme SSD, and a Nvidia 1070ti in an eGPU!).    So Everything had to be worked in various days/batches to keep the memory load from getting to great.  At one point the "page" file on my drive was 100GB in size!

Edited by Clegg78
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

Awesome geopraphy and video work. Thanks for sharing. Once upon a time I traveled those roads, but in a cage. I can't wait to get some time in Southern Utah on two wheels, on Hwy 12 and the like. Your oil pan experience confirms my own fear of the way it is exposed so nakedly. I also worry about a rock piercing the oil filter, which is not apparently protected by the SW Motech. But spending $300 on a bigger sump guard is just, well, hard to do. 

The exhaust pipes actually protect the oil filter pretty well I think,   but yeah the low sump on these CP3 engines can be a liability.   I feel comfortable with the SW-Motec style plate for the most part, but I am placing a stainless steel (1/8") plate under the sump area covered with some thick EDPM rubber to blunt any hits like I had there... where the skid plate could compress onto the engine but it would spread out the energy a bit more in that sensitive area.   IMO, the sump itself is brittle as hell.  No idea why they made it as thin and brittle as they did. 

• Premium Member

I'm actually the author of Adobe Premiere Pro for Dummies, although that book hasn't been updated since 2011 and the last time I did any professional video work was 2015. For some reason after doing video professionally I can't get motivated to do it for fun. 

• Thumbsup 7