Smart Turn System - auto cancel indicators

dazzler24

• Supporting Member

Just installed a Smart Turn System (STS) - AKA self-cancelling indicators in my 2015 Tracer.

I decided to not use the supplied bullet connectors but instead bought genuine Yamaha connectors (3P MTWP-L) so that I can simply plug the loom back through and return the bike to standard (function wise) while keeping to a good quality waterproof connection, should I choose to move the STS to another machine down the track.  In fact my install is very similar to the one @SKYFLIX has done and for the same reasons.

Fitment was pretty straight forward but there are a couple of things to watch out for if you're doing this yourself and are following the instructions and video.  The biggest one is the confusion around the Positive connection sourced from the bottom plug.  The picture shows it as a red wire and the video shows the connection going on to a red/white wire which does have switched power on it (but less than 12v) and is not the correct one to use.  The correct 12v switched wire is the Brown wire of the bottom plug.
Hope that helps if someone is struggling with that issue.  If you choose to use one of the bike's accessory connectors then you won't have that problem of course.

The other 'issue' is that the supplied foam pieces (you get four, 2 x small & 2 x large) that slot into either side of the indicator switch were a little too big and a little too small, at least in my case.  What they are meant to do is stop the indicators from latching as they do in normal/standard operation and instead just provide a momentary switching action.  The big ones worked but I had to really push or pull hard to make the contact to activate the indicators.
So, I got out the trusty sharp razor and trimmed the larger ones down a smidge and now the indicators come on with little effort of the old thumb and without latching.  Perfect!

Now on to testing - quite simply they work beautifully and as advertised!  Even performing lane changes the indicators will self-cancel.  Brilliant!
I'll see how they go over the long term and will report any negative issues - if any.
Happy so far in these early days.  Just got to now remember to stop pushing the switch to cancel.  Old habits die hard.

Out of the box: -

STS.thumb.jpg.a198bdb719536d2ebbd449c6f02c5087.jpg

This is how I set up my connections with the new yamaha style connectors: -

1.thumb.jpg.7e9245be68603253f827ea286c384d3e.jpg

Changed out the bullet connectors for these: -

2.thumb.jpg.88800ccad069a2f774061eb68121d2ac.jpg

Close up of the connections: -

3.thumb.jpg.dcdcc93dfa6ae255bc037739e5a7944d.jpg

Ready to button up, the STS unit itself is the black part with two cable ties around it to the right of the picture: -

4.thumb.jpg.407959b454d7bc4ec98bb8792fa8757d.jpg

Little 'sponges' in the base of the indicator switch to stop latching: -

5.thumb.jpg.7b5d2c65ea4e5d3535271b721593e26b.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

Great write up @dazzler24does the system cancel the signals based on time or distance traveled?

Thanks.  To answer your question there are a couple of scenarios that it will cater for: -

If for any reason it doesn't switch off after a turn (only happened once so far when the 'turn' was very slow) the indicators will 'time out' after ~15secs.

If it detects that you are stopped - at lights for example - it won't cancel in that instance but will if you don't complete a turn and are now moving, then the 15sec rule applies.

There is still a manual way to cancel if you must and that is simply push the indicator switch in the same direction a second time.

All very clever.

• Thumbsup 1