That blue Niken has had a ton of modifications. Making the engine fairings and tail section look that nice takes some real talent. The mirror mod wouldn't be too hard to do, the left mount is already there and on the right it would be a matter of finding the right perch/master cylinder combination. To stay on topic, that bike also has good looking hand guards.

916854197_100051881_10158696099476995_6834606785546944512_o(1).thumb.jpg.eb31ded614f7840456978d643121c965.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 12/2/2020 at 12:34 PM, pilninggas said:

Most engine bars that are specified as fitting the MT09 or XSR900 will probably fit. My Niken is running MT09 Motech bars as I got them very cheaply.

I plan on putting a bashplate for an MT09 onto my Niken.

Did the MT09 bars fit without a lot of modification? 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member
On 12/2/2020 at 6:01 PM, Switchglide12 said:

Love the Army Niken. Looks bad ass

Was resisting all urges to yell this out when I saw it. 

yo joe.jpg

2019 Niken GT

4 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Did the MT09 bars fit without a lot of modification? 

The bars themselves are exactly the same - i scoped them out before ordering.

I then downloaded the niken fitting instructions from motech's website and just made up spacers which were the same. The hardest part is getting high tensile bolts which are 120mm and 130mm long.

It cost me £15 in aluminium and bolts but cost £50 for MT bars, so saved me about £80. I'm a tight arse!

btw: Love the bar mounted mirrors on that modded Niken. I have already though about doing this, that just made me think it is a goer. Can delete the oem mirrors.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, pilninggas said:

The bars themselves are exactly the same - i scoped them out before ordering.

I then downloaded the niken fitting instructions from motech's website and just made up spacers which were the same. The hardest part is getting high tensile bolts which are 120mm and 130mm long.

It cost me £15 in aluminium and bolts but cost £50 for MT bars, so saved me about £80. I'm a tight arse!

btw: Love the bar mounted mirrors on that modded Niken. I have already though about doing this, that just made me think it is a goer. Can delete the oem mirrors.

Agreed on the repositioned mirrors especially since my SW Motech  hand guards block a lot of visibility in the OEM mirror. Now the question shifts to which mirrors and LED turn signals to swap with. 

I'm thinking Rizoma turn signals and mirrors:

Universal Indicator Lights by Rizoma Bikes Accessories

And for mirrors possibly a sport bike fairing mounted option instead of a bar mount:

Universal Mirrors by Rizoma Bikes Accessories

F040E4D8-3D07-4891-92A9-684635458858.jpeg

BA4F5D2F-B003-46EB-90BA-4C89ADD509AF.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

Have you considered something like the Rottweiler mounts/CRG mirrors? I really like them on my Tracer. They also reduce air turbulence that the stock mirrors cause on the Tracer. The Rottweiler mount can be attached to the SW handguard spine. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
54 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

Have you considered something like the Rottweiler mounts/CRG mirrors? I really like them on my Tracer. They also reduce air turbulence that the stock mirrors cause on the Tracer. The Rottweiler mount can be attached to the SW handguard spine. 

First time seeing these so excited to see new farkle! Will check out the Rottweilers. 

Incidentally I'm trying to avoid bar end mounting anything that will make the Niken even wider than it already is.  Currently the widest point on my bike is with the SW Motech handguards. Previously it was a close tie between the mirrors and the handlebars. 

However,  given the way they elegantly engineered these warrants some serious consideration since I had all but given up on a mirror solution that would allow me to see behind me. Because the Niken is so wide, a usable mirror suggests either really long mirror stems with small mirrors or SUV sized mirrors big enough to say "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" a la BMW r1250RT style. 

I even considered Innovative Cycles rear camera and GPS but didn't because I would potentially lose my turn signals. https://innovative-cycles.com/gps-video-mirrors

6DEA2480-05AB-4D36-8A3B-D1F22416B3E5.png

77B59269-D4B2-44CE-A4CF-E2ACED1F2227.png

BC02358B-7F8B-4CAC-97FC-380F3DB2DE2B.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

The adjustability of the CRG mirror is great. They are easily shifted in for lane filtering or parking situations. They are smaller, but the lens is convex, so I can see more than what the stock mirrors showed. I did have to get used to the whole "objects are closer than they appear" thing with the convex lens. I have the mirrors adjusted so I can just see my elbows, but I can see behind, plus all they way up to my blind spot (where I need to turn my head for lane changes). 

sMxa9-iV69RIURIeJNx1zqZFCkWn7z6MrjA5BcoW

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
On 12/4/2020 at 11:44 AM, draco_1967 said:

The adjustability of the CRG mirror is great. They are easily shifted in for lane filtering or parking situations. They are smaller, but the lens is convex, so I can see more than what the stock mirrors showed. I did have to get used to the whole "objects are closer than they appear" thing with the convex lens. I have the mirrors adjusted so I can just see my elbows, but I can see behind, plus all they way up to my blind spot (where I need to turn my head for lane changes). 

sMxa9-iV69RIURIeJNx1zqZFCkWn7z6MrjA5BcoW

Question - when you mounted your Rottweiler CRG mirrors, were your handguard mounting points made of plastic or metal? My SW Motech handguards are really stout metal - not sure I can drill holes through them like the install video for Rottweiler suggests. 

2019 Niken GT

8 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Question - when you mounted your Rottweiler CRG mirrors, were your handguard mounting points made of plastic or metal? My SW Motech handguards are really stout metal - not sure I can drill holes through them like the install video for Rottweiler suggests. 

They are mountain on the factory plastic handguards. Are the SW guards aluminum? If so, they should drill fairly easily. I have seen the Rottweiler mount attached to Cycra handguards, which are aluminum. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member
On 12/7/2020 at 9:10 AM, draco_1967 said:

They are mountain on the factory plastic handguards. Are the SW guards aluminum? If so, they should drill fairly easily. I have seen the Rottweiler mount attached to Cycra handguards, which are aluminum. 

Great call on the Rottweiler mirrors Draco! Love them. Had to get used to looking down at the new lower location to see behind me but  image quality is excellent and I can see quite a bit behind me compared to stock mirrors. No vibration at speed. Toughest part was drilling mounting holes through the stainless steel of the SW Motech handguard frames. That definitely took awhile. 

Now the only thing left is to install some Grip Puppies to help dampen the vibration. My hands get buzzy on rides longer than 30 minutes with the new SW Motech handguards because the handguard hardware replaces the stock heavy duty weighed bar ends that helped to dampen vibrations on the Niken. 

0627B7A6-01CD-462D-B4A4-49D2D7E0C477.jpeg

EC134B28-6CF8-494A-8F11-9B5E944EB0DB.jpeg

1A7C1FC6-6D0E-40C7-9EF6-8E74B91CC5D7.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

On 12/2/2020 at 9:35 PM, jetpilot5 said:

That blue Niken has had a ton of modifications. Making the engine fairings and tail section look that nice takes some real talent. The mirror mod wouldn't be too hard to do, the left mount is already there and on the right it would be a matter of finding the right perch/master cylinder combination. To stay on topic, that bike also has good looking hand guards.

916854197_100051881_10158696099476995_6834606785546944512_o(1).thumb.jpg.eb31ded614f7840456978d643121c965.jpg

Read that the hand guards on this Niken are from a Honda  Africa Twin. No idea what's required to make them work but it's not impossible.

On 11/22/2020 at 5:38 PM, maximNikenGT said:

Thanks for sharing. I've seen these thinking that Yamaha must have made handguards for the Niken but after calling Yamaha of America at their toll free number, they advised that neither these nor auxiliary lights were available for the Niken. 

Incidentally the guards shown in the photo are not thicker than the handlebar grips, and as such look like all they do is protect against big branches thwacking your hands or protect your levers from getting wrecked when you drop the bike going through some country terrain. Popular on offroad bikes but they don't do much in terms of shielding your hands from the elements.

As cool of a YouTube video that might be, I'm not sure how many Niken owners actually intend to seriously offroad their machines, I just know that I'm not one of them. 

I’d like a set of these unobtanium guards on my Tracer. Let us know if you find a source.