Oil Filter Union Bolt Mod.

peteinpa

I'm posting this here since many have had problems in the past but it's posted in various areas of the forum.

If you want to mount any filter from this list:  https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html   You have to do this mod due to the changes that have been made recently (5 years) to a lot of these filters.

Norm is on the FJR forum and has given me permission to post this here:  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10206955071372861&type=3

He modifies union bolts and sells them for $30 delivered so all filters can be used.  

27 mm socket (or 1 1/16) is all you need.

Updated contact info:     Send an email to Norm Kern.   nkern@kernvideo.com, subject: Union Bolt Modification.

Edited by peteinpa
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

If you want to use aftermarket oil filters, you need this modification...

MY reason is for a one time mod. I can use any filter I want. Plus I have 4  Bosch 3300 filters left from my previous bikes.

I understand the FB thing, I'm using my wife's to look at it.

Edited by peteinpa

I've put a chat on for Ken trying to order and have not heard back in a few days. I'm wanting one because it is a low cost way to give my great flexibility. I'd like to be able to use the Purolator Boss or any others, and though not all of them have the outie, some do. Just seems a simple fix that removes all obstacles. Now if I can only get a reply from Ken! 

I just heard from Norm (his name is Norm Kern, my bad) and ordered one today. Like I said, this is small change, and gives me total flexibility with filters. I remember this same issue when I had my 2014 FJR. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Salish900 said:

I just heard from Norm (his name is Norm Kern, my bad) and ordered one today. Like I said, this is small change, and gives me total flexibility with filters. I remember this same issue when I had my 2014 FJR. 

How did you get a hold of him and pay for if?

Thanks

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

How did you get a hold of him and pay for if?

Thanks

I followed the FB link that @peteinpa kindly gave us above and once there started a chat with him and gave my email address. He emailed me with how to pay and other details. I paid with paypal. Bahdabing, Bahdaboom. 

• Premium Member

The, I tried contacting him through LinkedIn, I don't FB, twit, Insta, etc

Heck, I didn't MySpace either.  I have a big book of forever stamps...

We got one of those newfangled push button phones recently and someone said there are color TVs...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

The, I tried contacting him through LinkedIn, I don't FB, twit, Insta, etc

Heck, I didn't MySpace either.  I have a big book of forever stamps...

We got one of those newfangled push button phones recently and someone said there are color TVs...

If you don't hear back from him, PM me. I can reach out to him via FB for you and give him your email address.

'15 FJ09

Here is Norm's contact info and part of the e-mail he sent me. I didn't want to put it out without his permission.

Send an email to Norm Kern.   nkern@kernvideo.com, subject: Union Bolt Modification.

"I currently only have one union bolt left. I need to order about 20 at a time to avoid getting killed on shipping. If the parts house doesn't have that many in stock, there can be a delay and with COVID, who knows.  We'll see!"

Edited by peteinpa