Dampening not adjusting after spring replacement

Salish900

So I've just put my bike back together after swapping out the stock springs for the KTech. Swapped oil to Motul 7.5. Got her all buttoned up and set the sag with my wife's help. Only need to turn preload down to showing 6 lines, so that solved my sag problem. But when I went to adjust my right fork dampening, the screw doesn't turn much either way. It turns maybe 1/2 turn either way. Obviously, something is wrong, and I will have to take that right fork off again, but any ideas what would cause this? Appreciate any insights so I know what to fix or look for when I take it off the bike. Sure thought everything went back as designed. 

Edited by Salish900
spelling error

• Premium Member

I have the same problem. Only 4 clicks of rebound instead of 11. Will fix it when the snow comes. Definitely reassembled incorrectly. If you have a manual, it will state the measurements needed for reassembly. I didn't do the work, but understand what went wrong. The shop will fix, but I've moved 500 miles away. Local dealer will fix for 90.00 if I bring in the fork.

Looks like @betoney is down the street from you. He may have done some of his own fork work and can explain better.

• Supporting Member

@Salish900 - Did you make any adjustments to the fork cap prior to reassembly? 

If memory serves correct, this is how I reassembled mine.  I chose a number for the adjustable range, say 15 clicks total and turned the adjuster fully closed (clockwise) and then backed out 15 clicks.  With the jamb nut on the fork assembly, I then screwed the fork cap on the threaded section just until it gently seats and then tightened the jamb nut up to the bottom of the fork cap before screwing the outer fork leg to the cap.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

14 minutes ago, betoney said:

@Salish900 - Did you make any adjustments to the fork cap prior to reassembly? 

If memory serves correct, this is how I reassembled mine.  I chose a number for the adjustable range, say 15 clicks total and turned the adjuster fully closed (clockwise) and then backed out 15 clicks.  With the jamb nut on the fork assembly, I then screwed the fork cap on the threaded section just until it gently seats and then tightened the jamb nut up to the bottom of the fork cap before screwing the outer fork leg to the cap.

Hey @betoney I think you are onto it. When I put it back together I had screwed the jam nut all the way down, as I didn't track where it was when I took it all apart. With the jam nut all the way down, I then screwed the fork cap onto the nut, which would have put it all the way down, and then snugged up the jam nut and assembled. Doing this may have bottomed out the dampening if I am understanding this correctly. Your method would be different, and will be what I try tomorrow. 

To be clear, I set my dampening screw adjuster out say 15 clicks, and then screw the fork cap onto the threads until it seats against the top of whatever it hits, the dampening rod I would guess, and then bring the jam nut up to it and snug it all up? 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

Hey @betoney I think you are onto it. When I put it back together I had screwed the jam nut all the way down, as I didn't track where it was when I took it all apart. With the jam nut all the way down, I then screwed the fork cap onto the nut, which would have put it all the way down, and then snugged up the jam nut and assembled. Doing this may have bottomed out the dampening if I am understanding this correctly. Your method would be different, and will be what I try tomorrow. 

To be clear, I set my dampening screw adjuster out say 15 clicks, and then screw the fork cap onto the threads until it seats against the top of whatever it hits, the dampening rod I would guess, and then bring the jam nut up to it and snug it all up? 

Yes, that is my recollection, it has been a while since I set it. 

Once you tighten the jamb nut, you should be able to verify the adjustment by turning the adjuster with a screw driver before reassembling back on the bike.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Ok, great. Another annoying thing is that my fork kit from Traxxion comes with the fork piston holding tool, but the darn thing doesn't seem to screw onto the threads on our 900's. Too big. I had to just slide it over, and leverage it to friction hold the fork piston to bring it up. 

By the way, my head spun around the other day here in Olympia because I saw a Red FJ at a house and wonder if it was you! 

Final update: To confirm, the method described above by @betoney works as described. I took the right fork off this morning, popped off the fork cap, and screwed the dampening all the way in and then back out 15 clicks. I then threaded it very carefully onto the fork piston and as soon as felt any resistance or less wiggle in the cap, I stopped. This is hard to judge, but close enough. I then brought the jam nut up from the very bottom a good 3-5 turns until it seated on the fork cap and snugged them up. Checking the dampening before I put the fork in showed I had restored my adjustability. Thank you @betoney

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...