Acrapovich v standard

Not something I would do but if it floats your boat go for it. My riding buddy fitted a Black Widow exhaust on to his GT. It looked good and sounded lovely. The sena intercom we used would pick up the sound as he accelerated and pass it on to us when we were out together. But, after a few weeks He felt the wee bit extra noise was starting to grate a bit and he reverted back to standard and sold on the Black Widow.

• Thumbsup 2

Love my Akra exhaust.  It's only a little louder than the oem, so much so I'd say it's not really that big of a deal, until you really get on the bike but even then it's a nice sound, not an obnoxious one.  No ecu flash required.

The general consensus on aftermarket exhausts is that they tend to sound "better", and are usually lighter, but you shouldn't expect any significant increase in power. I cut my factory header to bolt on a Scorpion, and although I approve of the sound, and it didn't require a re-tune from Ivan, I wish hadn't bothered really. A full system might deliver more power, but I personally don't feel it's worth the cost. Our bikes are plenty fun without it.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

I Loved the sound of the FJ09 with the Akrapovic that I had as a loaner bike. The exhaust wasn't too loud for me. But then again my wife say's I'm half deaf, because I never hear anything she says.🙂

• Haha 4

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, chris wilkins said:

So is it worth upgrading my 2020 GT with the Acrapovich system

Thanks for your input

(Of no value to the question asked) - The Akrapovic exhaust is about the same price as a top spec rear shock. 😎

giphy.gif

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I had a ZX6R 636 with a Two Brothers shortie and an expansion chamber delete.  It really sounded great when hard on it - like a race bike.  However my wife hated it, had to tiptoe in and out of our community.  One of the guards at work told me it was the loudest bike he had heard in the parking deck.  Even louder than HD with straight pipes.  Bought a dB killer and it got it just tolerable.  I have always been drawn to the Ackropovic because they seem to strike a good balance between the obnoxiously loud and the stock quiet.  I actually kind of like the stock sound, pretty quiet but just sounds good.  I do a lot of long trips and an exhaust that is too loud gets aggravating after a while.  Also riding in a lot of strange communities and towns I like to avoid hassle with LEO.  Again this is where the Akropovic ould York nicely, a bit extra but not too much.  

@betony I'm with you on the rear shock.  First item on the list of mods is a new iPhone for the Mrs.  Next is firming up front with oil and maybe springs and emulators then rear shock.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Fit a Scorpion.🙂 Sounds awesome.👍

www.scorpion-exhausts.com

IMG_0013.jpg

Edited by Kenny A.
added info.
  • Thumbsup 3

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

Nothing wrong with getting a nice aftermarket exhaust if that is what you like.  But in order to achieve any real performance improvement you need a full exhaust that eliminates the catalytic converter, and has a well designed header, along with airbox and intake modifications to take advantage of the better exhaust, and fuel and ignition map changes to match by way of ECU reflash.  

Or just install the new exhaust and enjoy the sound of that sweet triple.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I have this Akrapovic full system, it's nice and quiet in the suburbs but is really loud when you wind it.

I had to take the centre stand off but I don't miss it.

1373817656_IMG_3215(1008x756).thumb.jpg.48f9386b45165c9a766300fbdb3298a2.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I just put the Akra full on my 2019 GT.  After 2 years and 12k miles went for the upgrade including reflash to match.  First ride tmw, expected 70F in NJ! 

‐-------------------

Nov 8 update:  I now have about 150 miles with the full Akra exhaust and new ECU tune after 12,000 miles w stock exhaust and flash.

Bike is faster and bike sounds better.  Not too loud.  Wont cause the Euro weenies to change any laws.

Do you need it? No. 

Does it bring the triple to the next level? Yes.

Does it look and sound great?  Yes.

20201024_145545.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

I like the looks of that and you have the center stand.  I do lots of long trips so center stand is important to me.  Yesterday when riding on the interstate noticing how well the suspension was doing - firm enough but compliant enough for a long ride. I got my bike $3k less than I had budgeted (got a $1,000 better discount on new bike and $1,700 more on trade than anticipated) so have some budget to play with.  Well budget shrank this morning after I ordered wife a new iPhone - have to take care of her as she sent my my checkbook so I could buy this bike :-) 

Really appreciate those who post up about their bikes, I've been looking at a lot of stuff and trying to figure out what I want to do and have all winter to work on it.  Well have contemplated a trip to Texas Hill Country before Christmas.

• Thumbsup 1

I don't know how things are in the US, but here in the EU things are getting out of hand: roads being closed for motorcyclist, political talks of getting the decibel limit to 95 and later on to 80 (that is when stationary!) etc, just because of the nuisance of loud bikes.

What should be done instead is enforcing the law. We have already strict laws regarding the level of noise from bikes, but the chance of getting fined when one breaks that law are very small. 

The problem is that a relatively small group of bikers is causing problems for other bikers by installing illegal pipes. 

So unless an aftermarket pipe isn't louder than the original I would really urge people not to install anything other than the original.

Edited by Michiel900GT
Typo
  • Thumbsup 3