Olympia to Vashon ride

Salish900

Fighting ennui and avoiding more conflict with my teenager, it came time to get the heck out of the house and press reset on my head. The election was just announced, we can all move on, and so on Saturday I looked at google maps and purposely chose somewhere I've never been. Turns out, I've never been on Vashon Island, which is somewhat surprising given that I lived for years on neighboring Bainbridge Island, travel incessantly, and well, have poked around most places here in the PNW. So it was decided. To Vashon I go. 

The not fun part is that form Oly you drive slab up to Point Defiance, where the ferry is. You don't technically have to take I5, but I didn't have time to dally too much. Tacoma is a far nicer town than it seems to be reputed to be. Getting off the highway just before you get to the Tacoma Narrows bridge, you pop onto Pearl Street, and go through some lovely middle class neighborhoods that are well kept. You can see why people would live there, with a quiet and high quality of life around you. 

You take a ferry to Vashon, duh, and my luck on this day was superb. We two wheeled folks take for granted here in Puget Sound that we can just show up and get on any ferry that arrives. On this day I didn't even look at a schedule or care. I just rode to the ferry and sure enough, they were loading! I got there mid-stream so I waited until the last car loaded and just rolled right on. It's a quick trip, but the views are great on the water and back toward Mt. Rainier. 

Once on Vashon I rode the main drag north. Vashon still has the feel of a bit of funk and fun, and has not been over developed yet by my eyes. Also, unlike Bainbridge Island, it does not seem to have the big money estates. Granted I didn't see the whole island, but I suspect this to be true. The riding on Vashon is quite scenic, as even the main drag takes you by the bays and gives views. Roads are good quality. I rode up toward the top of the island and stopped at a nice spot to grab lunch. I haven't mentioned that it was about 40 degrees and raining lightly. A chilly day. I went to the Snapdragon cafe, which I can recommend. Sat outside and ate a tasty hot sandwich. Would go back there again. 

If I had more time I would have ridden over to Maury Island, and along whatever shorelines I could manage. But alas. After lunch I headed back south and once again, rode up right before the ferry started loading. I must have passed 75 cars waiting, always with a smug smile on my face, and went to the head of the line. There was a cool dude on an 1150 GS there as well, and we rode on together and parked next to one another at the bow of the ferry. Turns out this gentleman was 68, and at one time had 14 motorcycles, and is now down to 5. We had the sort of wonderful conversation you can have with a fellow rider who loves bikes and the spirit of adventure they bring. 

Getting back home was easy, but cold. It is 46 miles or so from Olympia to Vashon, and with the ferry and some luck, you can do it in 90 minutes. I popped into the hot tub once I got home and took the little bit of chill out of my bones right quick. I can't wait to go back and look around some more, and would recommend the trip to anyone who hasn't been there. 

62647420094__EBD712D8-235C-414D-BFE5-376A20F015E8.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

A brief local getaway can help clear the mind and restore balance, particularly when such beauty and tranquility are within reach. Sounds like it was mission accomplished 👍!  

Thanks for sharing.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

13 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Nice tale. Did you have to secure (tie down) your bike on the ferry or was it stable enough?

That's a good question if you don't live and ride here in Puget Sound, but for our ferries you almost never have any trouble. The water is inland and usually pretty calm, rarely getting seas above 4 feet, and the boats are pretty big. I've lived up on San Juan Island, and there are a few storms each winter when the ferries don't run, and you might be on the last boat or first boat after a storm, and there is some rocking and rolling. I've seen green water come over the bow of the ferry and wash into the car deck. They park cars quite a way back on those boats. 

But outside of a rare winter storm, up in the San Juans, you are good to go. You couldn't tie down even if you wanted to. I suppose you could stand by your bike and keep it steady, but I've never seen the need. People ride the Bainbridge ferry every 365 days a year on their motorcycles, I used to do that myself, and never enough boat movement to create serious trouble. 

• Thumbsup 2