getting started on general maintenance

wanderer

So I've got to admit, other than replacing some turn signals, foot peg brackets and chain maintenance I've done nothing on the bike myself. Not even an oil change, which is easy enough.

So now I'm thinking I'd dive in to it, but it is 16000 miles, which calls for replacement of the spark plugs.

So my basic question is, how does one really get started? Is it really as simple as follow the shop manual and make sure everything goes back where it came from? Or is there a better way to ease into it?

Once long ago with a friend I took off a Datsun cylinder head to replace the head gasket and take the warped head to a machine shop to be resurfaced. And when we put it back together and it started it was a real "holy shit we did it!" moment for me. But I was willing to let that car die if need be, I am more attached to my Tracer!

• Thumbsup 1

I always felt fairly confident with a good workshop manual and getting stuck in. As you said though it's easier when you have less "investment" sunk into your bike. My first two bikes when I started back were only £700 and £900 It dosen't feel the same with the Tracer. Just start slow and only tackle the stuff you feel confident with. Pics of My Yamaha Diversion 900 when I was doing a winter rebuild and service.

DSCN8907.JPG

DSCN8909.JPG

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Yep, shop manual is excellent info, but it's not necessarily always a how-to.  It assumes you understand certain principles.

Just dive in.  Sometimes your best strength is knowing what you don't know.  Ask questions, find reference material, search YouTube..  You'll find your way.  As you gain experience, you'll gain confidence and pretty soon it gets easier.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Don't forget all the knowledge from here.

Keep in mind when wrenching to do no damage. Steel bolts going into alluminum can be tricky. Tourqe wrenches might be the first purchase.

Even an oil change, read here. 

• Thumbsup 1

For about 25 years didn't do much more than oil changes. But after a series of poor service experiences finally got fed up and purchased some good quality tools, two shop manuals (mfg and aftermarket) and didn't look back. That was 20ish years ago. Now I trust myself to do nearly all normal maintenance. There are a few areas where my lack of experience is an issue but there are many resources online. At that point youtube howtos were just starting to become available for every job under the sun and it's only improved.

Never trust the information in a manual nor internet boards without some corroboration, even a torque value. There's a lot of bad advice on the internet. Manuals have errata. Everybody makes mistakes. Trust, but verify :) 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

You Tube along with the shop manual (which you can download for free) is the way to go.

Here is the spark plug change...

Science Biker has some good videos. Used to be on here quite a bit. 

• 1 month later...