Rear brake rotor removal

fr8dog

• Premium Member

I have a new rotor and bolts on order. Won't be here for a few weeks. I had the rear tire off doing other stuff and tried to remove one of the bolts just to see how tight they were. The bolts are on there pretty good. I couldn't loosen it up. Didn't want to risk stripping it. 

Any ideas? Impact driver? 

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

Any ideas? Impact driver? 

Use heat prior to attempting to remove them.  They have thread locker from the factory.  

Smart idea that you have new bolts, you might ruin the heads on 1 or 2 of them.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, betoney said:

Use heat prior to attempting to remove them.  They have thread locker from the factory.  

100 percent this.   Liberal use of the heat gun, then smooth steady pressure to break them loose.    I used a long breaker bar (instead of an impact) on the front rotor bolts, and it worked like a champ.  

• Thumbsup 2

Heat. I prefer Bernzo-matic. Then drop  your allen in there, make sure it's well seated all the way down. You shouldn't strip it if it's well seated and not previously rounded. They are very tight though. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, koth442 said:

Heat. I prefer Bernzo-matic. Then drop  your allen in there, make sure it's well seated all the way down. You shouldn't strip it if it's well seated and not previously rounded. They are very tight though. 

This. I’ve never stripped one. 

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon