Lifting the front

jetpilot5

Finally got a definitive answer on this. The knowledge base on this bike varies widely between dealers. 

I sent an email to a dealer I'm working with on a potential purchase asking about lifting the front for service and whether there was a front wheel adaptor for balancing a non-traditional front wheel. Here's what I got back.

"Yamaha sent us 3 tools on the essential tool program. This is what they send out to dealers when new models come out and special tools are needed to service them.
Here is what we received,
Jack Stand #90890-01596  $233.99
Wheel alignment toe gauge #90890-01595  $540.99
Steering nut wrench  # 90890-01598  $106.99

Could not find out any info on an adapter for balancing the front wheels. In the Yamaha service manual under the static balancing section it just says to place wheel on balancing machine and add weight where needed.

Service manual is also available. #Lit-11616-32-18  $89.99  

You can purchase any or all these if you like."

In my case I would be inclined to purchase the Yamaha Jack Stand. Smaller and easier to store than a shop crane and also frees up the handlebars allowing anything on the front to be serviced. Not really any more expensive either.

Regarding lifting the bike from the headers, I did find a video where they did just that. In this case lifting from the right side and pushing down on the rear wheel. This put the entire bikes weight on the headers and the side stand. I wouldn't try this at home but it can apparently be done without damage.

Lifted.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

Funny that you should post this, as i was thinking that i will need to machine a plate/special cone for balancing the front wheels. I am an engineering teacher so have access to the kit needed to make one. I really want to ditch those hard A41 Bridgestones, they ruin the handling.

Regarding jacking, im gonna fab up a frame up that will lift using the engine bars. just some mild steel box welded up.

Edited by pilninggas
  • Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, pilninggas said:

Funny that you should post this, as i was thinking that i will need to machine a plate/special cone for balancing the front wheels. I am an engineering teacher so have access to the kit needed to make one. I really want to ditch those hard A41 Bridgestones, they ruin the handling.

Regarding jacking, im gonna fab up a frame up that will lift using the engine bars. just some mild stell box welded up.

No Mar sells balancing cones for single sided, large hole wheels.

If I owned a Niken, I would place a horizontal bar/broomstick between both sets of forks and use motorcycle tie downs attached to the garage door rails to raise the front wheels while the bike is on the center stand.  You could also raise the front by placing the bike on the center stand and using a motorcycle tie down(s) to pull the rear of the bike down utilizing eye bolts installed on the lower edge of the garage wall or even wrapped around the wheel of your car or truck.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, pilninggas said:

I am an engineering teacher

ohhh boy you might regret posting that.  I have BIG curiosities and lots of unanswered puzzles

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

9 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

If I owned a Niken, I would place a horizontal bar/broomstick between both sets of forks and use motorcycle tie downs attached to the garage door rails to raise the front wheels while the bike is on the center stand.  You could also raise the front by placing the bike on the center stand and using a motorcycle tie down(s) to pull the rear of the bike down utilizing eye bolts installed on the lower edge of the garage wall or even wrapped around the wheel of your car or truck.

thanks for this. if i am honest i dont want to order anything from the US during this pandemic.

It may well get delayed on route - particularly here in the UK if they decide i needs to have duties paid.

im probably going to make some cones or centre plates to support the wheels.

On 11/27/2020 at 4:37 PM, whisperquiet said:

The large balancing cones may or may not work. I looked at another Niken today and the wheel centers aren't round. They have a bump where each bolt is located. 

Lifting by placing a rod of some sort between the forks will definitely not work. Brake and ABS lines are in the way if you use the top set of clamps and the wheels are in the way of the lower set.

Using the center stand and tying down the back of the bike would work. The dealer suggested lifting by the bars, as I mentioned earlier, or tipping the bike to the side and changing one wheel at a time. Once you reach 45 degrees of lean the outside wheel will lift. I guess if you could find a safe way to support the bike that way that would work.

• Supporting Member
On 11/21/2020 at 9:05 AM, jetpilot5 said:

I was super impressed with my Niken test ride and am considering buying one. I'd like to be able to pull the front wheels for tire changes without going to a dealer. I understand there's a front work stand that is a Yamaha dealer tool. I've never seen a picture of this stand or been able to find it online. The only other option I've seen is the Abba stand which would be nice to have but at $700 is pretty expensive just to be able to change tires. Could you lift the front using a shop crane with a strap around the handlebars? You'd only need to just get the tires off the ground, maybe a half inch or so. Any other options?

Abba stand.

Abba stand.JPG

I did manage to grab a screen shot of the Yamaha service stand. The tech in the video said it's not available to customers though. He's in the UK so I don't know if that would be the case here in the US. You can also see the front end alignment tool sticking out from in between the front wheels.

Stand1.jpg

Stand3.jpg

Stand4.jpg

Interesting - so when I get my SW Motech crash bars installed, the techs would need to remove them in order to utilize this tool to lift the Niken off its front wheels. Good to know.

I'm tracking this thread very closely because I had been pondering whether to buy a No-Mar Tire changing system specifically because I agree that the stock tires on these are terrible and that the bike is so good at long distance rides that I'm sure I'm going to go through quite a few sets of tires after I wear out my OEM stock Bridgestone Battleaxe tires.

Classic HD<br>Motorcycle Tire Changer-TC-CLASSIC (nomartirechanger.com) 

I am curious as to what the actual life of tires will be on the Niken both front and back. I've heard that the tires could last as short as 3-5k miles or as high as 10k miles (subject to your riding habits). 

One of the things that is holding me back from going through with the purchase was trying to confirm whether a front wheel alignment is necessary for the Niken GT. I read somewhere that it does need to be performed but at one of the higher mileage service intervals...

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member
On 11/22/2020 at 4:25 PM, jetpilot5 said:

Is there a flat enough spot to use the pipes?

Stand1.thumb.jpg.74fe20a3cf1f26347f19a6d789441d16.jpg

I do think you make a good point about the load. Thinking about lifting by what would normally be the top triple clamp on a regular bike puts a load on all the bearings that are normally loaded from below when riding. I would think that if those bearings can survive the beating a poor road surface gives them or a badly landed wheelie they could sure stand up to being lifted from above with just the front end weight while stationary.

Then again, what do I know. I plan on running past the dealer on Tuesday and will post up what they have to say.

Where are you finding a US supplier of sporty tires in the 15 inch size? I don't even own a Niken yet but have been looking at different tires.🙄😉

I'm not sure where I'll be getting my 15 inch scooter tires in from yet, but I've been getting ideas for the 15 inch wheels from www.Webbikeworld.com in Japan since they have all kinds of different rubber. But am definitely leaning towards some Michelin sports of some sort since I've had generally decent experience with their traction in all kinds of touring (dry and wet) conditions, balanced against overall tread life and road noise. 

2019 Niken GT

Just to beat this completely to death, I did find a little more information. First, a couple of better pictures showing the factory stand.

Stand5.thumb.jpg.d535d577215039130a692af0e2a190f4.jpg

Stand6.thumb.jpg.f484a557ee1b32b5edcef4982ea1babc.jpg

Second, further research shows that you can use the Abba Lift front and rear package to lift both front and rear wheel without using the Sky Lift. That reduces the price of the Abba stand considerably, making it only $50 more than the factory stand. For the price difference I'm more inclined to spend an extra $50 and have a tool I can use on other bikes in the future than I am to buy the Niken specific tool from Yamaha.

abba-superbike-package2-04.jpg

The abba Front and Rear paddock stand set is perfect for...

• Thumbsup 1

I have a constands (from my old ZX10R, it's an abba copy) which i might modify to suit the engine bars.

As for tyres I just order 2x 120 70 15 Pirelli Rossos and 1x 190 55 17 Rosso 2s. The company phoned me up as they thought the order was wrong. Nope!

£245 or 330usd, not sure how that compares to US 'tire' prices, most stuff is cheaper on your side of the pond.

I brought my Niken home this week. The dealer included the factory service tools with the bike. That includes the stand so while I haven't used it yet I do own it and don't have to worry about how I'm going to lift the front.

IMG_2212small.thumb.JPG.41ae9bc315c37bb37e010e559c65732e.JPG

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, jetpilot5 said:

I brought my Niken home this week. The dealer included the factory service tools with the bike. That includes the stand so while I haven't used it yet I do own it and don't have to worry about how I'm going to lift the front.

That's awesome to have that included with the new bike.  I don't think any other Niken owners here got one.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...

First picture I've run across with the bike up on the front stand and the center stand. It's good to know that you can get all three wheel up in the air at the same time. That'll make tire changes a lot less hassle. Looks like you can pull the front wheels with the fender in place too. I'm still waiting on my service manual to confirm that.

When I lift mine for the first time I'll take some pictures and post them up.

fileRFS0QASZ.jpg

Edited by jetpilot5
  • Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Not exactly lifting but certainly to perform some light maintenance on the Niken comes this video from a company based in Brisbane, Australia with wheel rolling stands that work for the Niken:

Niken Rolling Stands

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT