Average Fuel Economy Thread

• Premium Member
Although the FJ doesn't have knock sensors, it might get more miles running the recommended 91 octane vs 87 - although I haven't tested that theory yet. 
I've seen a couple of extra mpg with the car when running low octane fuel but I am wary of running low-octane fuel in high-compression engines, even in cars where they may be designed for that (like Mazda's SkyActive engines).  I will sometimes do that on highway trips where the engine isn't stressed like city driving, and the mileage difference is the biggest, and I'm buying a lot of fuel, but mostly I just run the high octane stuff all the time.  The difference in cost is near negligible on the motorcycle and not all that dramatic in the car. 
(Then again my daily driver is a BMW Z3 that gets 19mpg on a GOOD day, at least the way I drive it; clearly cost and efficiency is not very high on my priority list. :-)

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
i'm right around 4800 miles, and mine's running an average of 50.2 mpg (US). No commuting (retired). Not much city driving, in fact - mostly 45 - 65 mph desert roads, and the feeder roads to get there.
Don't follow. Don't lead. Don't join.

Nope. That's the stats from the last couple tanks only. I also reset my averages with each fill up. 
If you don't keep records over lots of miles, you will never have a good answer.  Keep records of gallons put in and miles traveled to be accurate.  The auto calculator on the bike is off by about 1.5 to 6 mpg.  The bikes computer can be helpful in determining approximate mileage only.  Using those numbers to express your mileage is misleading.  :) 
On the  other hand, I keep records on my phone with an app for this purpose.  My FJ, including the first tanks of gas, now has a average of 45.34 mpg.  39.54 is the lowest and 51.55 is the highest on a per tank full.  That is 96.83 gallons total in 4,391 miles.  I reset the average when it was saying 51.7 mpg, and that is or was off by 6 mpg.   Comparing the FJ to my FZ-09 which has 5,633 miles, I got 45.4 mpg.  About the same as it should be with the same rider, engine and about same weight.  And my FJR in 178,012 miles, 44.44 mpg.  Also about the same.  My riding doesn't change much, fast in the twisties and the PACE elsewhere, 65-75.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Nope. That's the stats from the last couple tanks only. I also reset my averages with each fill up. 
If you don't keep records over lots of miles, you will never have a good answer.  Keep records of gallons put in and miles traveled to be accurate.  The auto calculator on the bike is off by about 1.5 to 6 mpg.  The bikes computer can be helpful in determining approximate mileage only.  Using those numbers to express your mileage is misleading.  :) 
On the  other hand, I keep records on my phone with an app for this purpose.  My FJ, including the first tanks of gas, now has a average of 45.34 mpg.  39.54 is the lowest and 51.55 is the highest on a per tank full.  That is 96.83 gallons total in 4,391 miles.  I reset the average when it was saying 51.7 mpg, and that is or was off by 6 mpg.   Comparing the FJ to my FZ-09 which has 5,633 miles, I got 45.4 mpg.  About the same as it should be with the same rider, engine and about same weight.  And my FJR in 178,012 miles, 44.44 mpg.  Also about the same.  My riding doesn't change much, fast in the twisties and the PACE elsewhere, 65-75.

I track every tank. It's been fairly consistent.

Guest dmizer
Thanks for the information. Milage is important to me in choosing my next bike.
Yamadog

Don't forget, then, that this bike's compression requires high octane fuel. The fuel efficiency on this bike is good, but you can get better overall fuel efficiency value on a bike that runs on regular fuel.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the information. Milage is important to me in choosing my next bike.
Yamadog

Don't forget, then, that this bike's compression requires high octane fuel. The fuel efficiency on this bike is good, but you can get better overall fuel efficiency value on a bike that runs on regular fuel.
Depends on the country. In the UK, the Tracer runs on the lowest grade of fuel available, 95RON. This would be the case for most countries in the European Union (a few in the east still have 91RON as there are some Trabants and other East European vehicles on the road). I understand in some countries, 95RON is sold as a premium fuel - we have 97-100RON in that category. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Two tanks commuting (mix of town and highway) - 44 - 45 mpg.

Just got back from a 1200 mile tour. Out of 7 tanks:

5 tanks, 45 mpg +/- 0.5 mpg
1 tank with a section of long empty straights and a heavy throttle, 41.6 mpg
1 tank with lots of heavily enforced 50 mph parkway with no traffic lights, 47.6 mpg

The mileage is almost the exact match (very slightly better) than my Ninja 600 that I toured a bunch on, so I'm completely satisfied.  The Ninja had a 4.4 gallon tank and this has a 4.8 gallon tank, so, like so many other things about this bike, it's like my Ninja, just a little better for me.

Guest dmizer
After 1600 miles I'm averaging about 155 miles for every 4 gallons. I don't get why my bike seems to have such poor economy compared to others. I have fun on it, but nothing out of the ordinary.
That's about 31 mpg, and that's absolutely pitiful for this bike. I was getting around 40 mpg on my old CB1300, which I considered to be very bad for a bike. Are you riding around all the time in B mode? I have noticed that my bike is much thirstier in B mode.

If nothing comes to mind, I suggest a visit to the dealer to have them check things like TB balance.

Now at 1000 miles I'm getting 46.47 mpg (US). I use an app called Road Trip on my iPhone, so this is the average total miles to total gallons to date. The bike computer had been saying 51 or 52 whenever I check it. During breaking the mileage has risen slightly.

Of much more interest to me is how many miles can you go on the reserve ticker? I've done 30 before filling up. Anybody done more? Average fill up has been about 4.5 gallons.

I find the gas gauge to be really good. With full bars I know I have plenty of fuel. Then, when I start to care about what's in there, it starts telling me. That's what I want from the gauge. Now just need to know when it's actually gonna run out   8-)

Archived