Riding School

Yamajank

OK, I had a great season on the Tracer.  But I want to get better, and be able to navigate with more confidence in the twisties when I get there (some of you know I don't really have them where I live), and maybe go to a few track days.  So I'm considering a few of the typical schools.  I'm wondering if any of you have had experiences with these types of programs and could recommend.  I'm considering: Total Control with Lee Parks, Yamaha Champions Riding School with Nick Ienatsch, and good old California Superbike.  Look forward to your thoughts.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
Just now, Yamajank said:

Total Control with Lee Parks,

Pretty sure I've heard Greg (of MotoJitsu fame) talk about Total Control.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I've done a YCRS school. It's phenomenal. Absolutely lives up to the hype. The class is very diverse and they handle everyone's individual goals well. We everything from a almost brand new rider through 15 year old kid looking to shave that 0.1 seconds on his Ninja 400 for MotoAmerica competition. I highly recommend doing the school sooner than later. It will save you having to break bad habits in the future. 

@com3 has been around quite a few of the schools and can offer additional insight. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member

I’ve taken Lee Parks level 1 & 2 and found it beneficial.  They teach a specific turning method, described in the book Total Control.  Reading the book before taking level 1 is useful.  

• Like 1

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

You ABSOLUTELY cannot go wrong with taking [nearly] any school. Investing in your riding is the best "mod" you can make to your bike. The best part is that it'll carry over to every single motorcycle you'll ever own for the rest of your life. :)

I've been working with the champ school (YCRS with Nick) since 2008. I've been too several others as well, including the CASBK school... I'm a firm believer in the teachings and methodology of YCRS. 

they'll give you all the info. There's no "levels" or anything of the sort. Only ALL the info. 

where do you live? ...oh..And don't tell anyone, but use the code 4TR if you decide on YCRS for 10% off the top. ;) (and no, I make nothing from referrals)

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, com3 said:

where do you live? ...oh..And don't tell anyone, but use the code 4TR if you decide on YCRS for 10% off the top. ;) (and no, I make nothing from referrals)

Indiana...I realize any of these will be a bit of a trip.  YCRS is the one I was leaning toward.

• Like 2

They are all good, I'm more familiar with the YCRS and California Superbike School and they are both excellent.  You should do the school at Barber and get to enjoy a fantastic track and allot an extra day to see the museum.  My wife steadfastly refuses to allow me to go to any track day - guess I showed her too many crash photos.  You would really benefit from any of those schools.  Learn it correctly from a good instructor so you don't get a bad habit you have to unlearn.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, com3 said:

Oh sure, tell me AFTER I attended the class haha!

• Haha 4

'15 FJ09

I'm obviously on a Tracer, but I don't think I'll bring my bike out to wherever, so what should I rent?  They have the MT-09, and wondering if that would be most suitable since it's the same engine.  Kind of eyeing the R6 though...

This is of course for the YCRS.  California school I think offers BMW 1000.  I don't think Total Control offers rental.

Different schools different focus.

Total Control ARC 1 & 2 are parking lot training, more safety and general skills oriented than track. I've not taken their track clinic. All are with your own bike.

California Superbike School is all about track. They have their own bikes (BMW S1000RR), or you can bring your own for some of the sessions. It's fun to try out the BMWs though.

These are the two I've done. I recommend them both. TC-ARC first if you haven't taken any such courses, then one of the track courses. One thing that struck me about CA Superbike, beyond just the excellent on-track experience, was how much effort they put into making you comfortable and providing quality food and drink. It is secondary, but the fact they emphasized quality for the whole experience really speaks to something.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Yamajank said:

I'm obviously on a Tracer, but I don't think I'll bring my bike out to wherever, so what should I rent?  They have the MT-09, and wondering if that would be most suitable since it's the same engine.  Kind of eyeing the R6 though...

This is of course for the YCRS.  California school I think offers BMW 1000.  I don't think Total Control offers rental.

CHAMPSCHOOL-header.gif

ChampSchool 1 or 2-day curriculum builds upon two overarching principles...

2021 Course schedule and rental info.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

16 hours ago, Yamajank said:

At YCRS, you can rent anything from an r3 to the mt and anything in between. We also have all the gear so you could just fly and ride. 

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, com3 said:

At YCRS, you can rent anything from an r3 to the mt and anything in between. We also have all the gear so you could just fly and ride. 

That's the idea, I think.  Fly and ride.  I'll post here what I decide and maybe someone will want to join me!  I wonder if Hannah Lopa will be coming back :-*

Edited by Yamajank
  • Like 2