Family? Pfft... I’m going riding!

texscottyd

• Supporting Member
27 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Happy Thanksgiving / Ungrateful Peasants Day to all!  

The lone benefit of this pandemic is that it became the perfect excuse to NOT invite the family over for a big meal and endlessly mind-numbing conversation.   Instead, my wife decided to sleep in this morning, and I hit the road for some selfish holiday me time down along the Texas gulf coast.   

Beautiful day so far, at the mid-ride taco break:

I could absolutely go for some South Texas taco's on Thanksgiving (drool).

No riding for me today, just being lazy and watching football, tomorrow will be cold (low - mid 40's) but dry so I have a day-long ride to Oregon planned.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, texscottyd said:

Spectacular day.   Free-style exploring is truly great for the soul... 

57BF263A-1A2A-409A-94BF-089804152C90.thumb.jpeg.d1bfd00995b65d3fe402e0976f21cc08.jpeg

That view right there sums up my ideal riding scenario; curvy road, scenery, zero traffic, decent weather... peace and solitude.  Truly "2-wheeled therapy" after a long work week. 😎👍

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, betoney said:

peace and solitude.  Truly "2-wheeled therapy" after a long work week.

I haven’t swapped the Sena over to my new helmet yet, so the last couple of rides have been just me & my thoughts.   Honestly, it’s been so relaxing that I may not go back to playing music on a regular basis.  

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I haven’t swapped the Sena over to my new helmet yet, so the last couple of rides have been just me & my thoughts.   Honestly, it’s been so relaxing that I may not go back to playing music on a regular basis.  

Exactly.  On occasion I ride with guys with comms units for music or making calls and I ride to escape all of of that - (too distracting to me).  Even on my 10-day trip to Utah and Colorado last year, the only distraction I had was the epic scenery.  👍

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Exactly.  On occasion I ride with guys with comms units for music or making calls and I ride to escape all of of that - (too distracting to me).  Even on my 10-day trip to Utah and Colorado last year, the only distraction I had was the epic scenery.  👍

I’ll typically pause the music when I’m riding with any enthusiasm, since I also find it to be a bit distracting when I need to be 100% focused.    But even on the boring straight-line droning over the last couple of weeks, I haven’t missed the music at all. 

I do like the audio alerts from Waze, so I will still go ahead and swap the Sena system over.   But I’ll likely keep the music off by default moving forward... 

• Thumbsup 1

32 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I’ll typically pause the music when I’m riding with any enthusiasm, since I also find it to be a bit distracting when I need to be 100% focused.    But even on the boring straight-line droning over the last couple of weeks, I haven’t missed the music at all. 

I do like the audio alerts from Waze, so I will still go ahead and swap the Sena system over.   But I’ll likely keep the music off by default moving forward... 

I’m the same: technical/high concentration bits are without music, but I like pootling around with tunes as well. I have a remote control on the left grip that makes muting and track bumping very easy.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member

I need to download some different Tunes to my phone but also turn off the music in technical bits, as well as flip up my inner sun visor sometimes too.

I have enough trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time. I also like to have Waze on for the warnings but I ignore the directions most of the time.

I have a Scala Rider Packtalk which is voice activated, I also have a much older Q3 that you have to push the buttons on but it's still pretty simple. Though taking your hands off the bars is never a great idea. I run the Uclear Pulse speakers though, and have mounts for all my helmets.  In one of my 3 flip fronts I have MEE Audio M6 Pro noise cancelling ear bud "monitors" which are also very good but more of PITA.

Classic rock "road music" sometimes brings it all together, especially on a warm early evening ride with a the visual and olfactory stimuli!!

• Thumbsup 2

Back when I had my V65 Sabre I installed a Rifle Sport fairing and a killer stereo with power amp in it. I promptly found out I didn't like music while riding. Love it in cars, not the bike. No stereo or headphones for me while riding since.

• Thumbsup 1