Turn Signal Options

Shizzle

Since this is about turn signals I recently had my front triangle painted side panels off. The ones that hold the front signals. How do you separate the panel back side to get the signal out? It has a few screws but also these unreuseable or fragile looking round washer looking things that press fit/lock onto what looks like plastic pins made onto the colored part of the panel. Looks like a great way to break something expensive just removing a blinker.

1 hour ago, roy826 said:

It has a few screws but also these unreuseable or fragile looking round washer looking things that press fit/lock onto what looks like plastic pins made onto the colored part of the panel.

Use a pick and back them out, just the way it is.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, roy826 said:

Since this is about turn signals I recently had my front triangle painted side panels off. The ones that hold the front signals. How do you separate the panel back side to get the signal out? It has a few screws but also these unreuseable or fragile looking round washer looking things that press fit/lock onto what looks like plastic pins made onto the colored part of the panel. Looks like a great way to break something expensive just removing a blinker.

Been down that road. The panel retainers are best worked on when warm. They will break apart in the cold.

Top panel retainer in pic is the one that comes with the bike and is reusable. Turn head slightly with a philips  screwdriver to pop it open and just pull out.

Lower panel retainer in pic is an acceptable single use replacement. Dorman item 963-026D. You will have to trim the top off as it is a little long.  Available at Advance Auto etc. Or bring the old one to the store and match to what they have on display.

Panel Retainers.jpg

Edited by Heli ATP
  • Thumbsup 1

You can actually source the parts for this upgrade for under $60 for everything. TST Industries sells the wiring harness and adapter plates. With shipping these items were $35. Then pick up the LED Turn signals of your choice off EBAY or Amazon for under $20 for all 4. Some of these kits are priced ridiculous. I will let you know the final result with pics but there's no way I'm going to sink $200 + into this upgrade. 

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, Shizzle said:

Then pick up the LED Turn signals of your choice off EBAY or Amazon for under $20 for all 4. Some of these kits are priced ridiculous.

Be careful with the cheap-0 Chinese LED's from Ebay, Amazon, Ali Express etc.  They aren't very bright and the plastic can be brittle, they might seem bright in a dark garage... until you compare them to something else.  I've used them in the past and now have several sets collecting dust in my spare parts box.  YMMV.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Ride365 said:

I assume the FJ-09 kit works for our GT, and aren't adapter plates needed for the egg shaped Yamaha cut out?

s-l400.jpg

These fill the hole left behind when removing the factory turn signals...

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 12/3/2020 at 5:06 PM, betoney said:

Be careful with the cheap-0 Chinese LED's from Ebay, Amazon, Ali Express etc.  They aren't very bright and the plastic can be brittle, they might seem bright in a dark garage... until you compare them to something else.  I've used them in the past and now have several sets collecting dust in my spare parts box.  YMMV.

You were right. Amazon LED turn signals were bright but not enough surface area in my opinion, returned them. Any suggestions?

On 12/4/2020 at 3:24 PM, thewrenchbender said:

Just got an email that my Cyclops “T7 kit” has shipped.

Once I get the wiring sorted planning on pulling copper red panels and the L&R tank extensions and getting them vinyl-wrapped. 

Let me know how the cyclops T7 kit works on the Tracer. I have the T7 kit on my Tenere 700 but had my doubts about the rear extension wire leads reaching the Tracer oem signal plugs. The distance from the rear signals on the T7 stock rear fender do not appear as far away from the oem plugs as the Tracer plugs are located.