Turn Signal Options

Shizzle

32 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Just a thought, but take a close look at the one you received for the opposite side from your ‘missing’ signal, and see if it looks like you can get a second one of those instead.   When I put factory Super Tenere LED signals on my FJ, I found out that the left & rights have different part numbers, but the signal itself it identical…. The only difference was the length of the wiring.   If that is also the case for these MT-07 lights (which I have no idea if they are/aren’t, so you’ll need to verify), you could order a second one of the available units (effectively using two lefts or two rights) and mount it up.  

Good idea!  Pretty sure  I could since it's the back one that is on back order. I think the back two are interchangeable.   However, I'm just gonna wait out the back order cuz I have been tied up lately and don't want any bike down time until winter anywho.  

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok this probably a dumb question but I don't want to screw this up....

I have to switch out the plugs on the mt-07 LEDs to the stock plugs.  The wiring colors do not match.  

Mt-07 rear right side is brown and black wires.

Stock rear right side blinker is green and black wires.

This is probably a given but I have never cut wires on my motorcycles in the past, but am I to assume I splice the brown to green and the black to black?

Do I  even have to worry about polarity here?

Again probably common sense but want confirmation, thanks.

@CJ3cyl?

Will probably ask again once I get to the three wire front blinkers😊

Edited by Wallygator

This was my simple solution to getting rid of the orange pumpkins! 

Acelane Motorcycle Indicator Lights Flowing LED Turn Signal Lights Blinkers Brake Light Daytime Running Light Rear Front https://a.co/d/3e6Zowx

Then....

https://tstindustries.com/tst-led-flasher-relay-gen2.html

Cut, solder, and heatshrunk the plugs from ugly pumpkin....

All done! Beautiful results and cost effective.

• Thumbsup 2

Ok I got the mt-07 led turn signals on and functioning perfectly as @CJ3cyl said they would.  They look factory.  All that panic on the wiring for nothing.  Did some research on youtube to figure it out. 

So for those that are going to do this. Splice the black to black an then splice color to color for the back leds.

For the fronts, the blue is the running lights so splice blue to blue.  Black is the neg so black to black. An then color to color.  Hope this makes sense. The relay posted on CJ3cyl post, the one from from revzilla, works as advertised. 

IMG_20221004_182409443.thumb.jpg.968af8f56c3c8090d504c6a2bd3df947.jpg

Edited by Wallygator
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 5:05 PM, Wallygator said:

Ok I got the mt-07 led turn signals on and functioning perfectly as @CJ3cyl said they would.  They look factory.  All that panic on the wiring for nothing.  Did some research on youtube to figure it out. 

So for those that are going to do this. Splice the black to black an then splice color to color for the back leds.

For the fronts, the blue is the running lights so splice blue to blue.  Black is the neg so black to black. An then color to color.  Hope this makes sense. The relay posted on CJ3cyl post, the one from from revzilla, works as advertised. 

IMG_20221004_182409443.thumb.jpg.968af8f56c3c8090d504c6a2bd3df947.jpg

Het Wallygator, do you know if there is any reason the one rear is different from the other, is it just the length of the wire, or is there an inline resistor in there? If I am going to splice wires, I would rather just use the cheaper one and save myself the $50 CAD

The more conspicuous you can make yourself the better you will be. The idea is to be seen.  I bought a used pair of fronts (yes the pumpkins) and swapped them with the rears so I have a running light and a turn signal in the back as well as the front. Just jumped the third rail (wire) to the front turn signals. Simple as hell and makes for a better rear end presence. Also have a cheap Ebay LED running and brake light on the edge of my Shad tail truck mount AND a small set of hyper lights for brakes. AND on top of all that extra retroreflective peel and sticks on my saddle bags and various other locations on the bike.

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

Edited by 2linby
  • Thumbsup 3

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, 2linby said:

The more conspicuous you can make yourself the better you will be. The idea is to be seen. I took a pair of fronts (yes the pumpkins) and replaced then with the rears so I have a running light and a turn signal in the back as well as in the front. Just jumped the third rail (wire) to the front turn signals. Simple as hell and makes for a better rear end presence. Also have a chapel Ebay LED running and brake light on the edge of my Shad tail truck mount AND a small set of hyper lights for brakes. AND on top of all that extra retroreflective peel and sticks on mt saddle bags and various other locations on the bike.

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

You took and old page out of my book, that I turned a few years ago.  Except I replaced the front and front on rear OEM TS/RL incandescent bulbs with very bright LED units enabled by a low-draw TS relay.  I also have the LED strip light on the edge of my Shad SH46 top case rack acting as a brake light (and added reflective tape to the top case as well as my Shad SH36 panniers), and the replacement programable brake / tail light with integral turn signals.  Additionally, I added amber LED strip lights to the side panels, and red reflective wheel rim tape.  I also run a headlight modulator and twin 8W LED driving / running lights mounted to my Givi case guards.  I have the Brake Free autonomous helmet brake light, and also wear a dayglo lime/green/yellow Hit-Air inflatable impact vest.   Of course I run full ATGATT, as I have for now going on 40 years+.

I wish you safe journeys but sometimes it just comes down to the luck of the draw despite our best efforts.

50 years of developing that 6th sense and constantly trying to improve my skills and staying ever vigilant IMO has been more effective that any modifications I've made to my rides. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 10/4/2022 at 9:19 AM, Infinity99 said:

This was my simple solution to getting rid of the orange pumpkins! 

Acelane Motorcycle Indicator Lights Flowing LED Turn Signal Lights Blinkers Brake Light Daytime Running Light Rear Front https://a.co/d/3e6Zowx

Then....

https://tstindustries.com/tst-led-flasher-relay-gen2.html

Cut, solder, and heatshrunk the plugs from ugly pumpkin....

All done! Beautiful results and cost effective.

I've been running those lights for several months and on my 6,500 mile trip.  I also have a running light/brake light on the back of my top case.  In addition have LED spots up front.  The LED strip o the top case puts it at eye level for a lot of vehicles.  I don't ride much at dusk or after due to wildlife but the few times I've been out after dark the spots really helped on lighting up the road.  In Helena MT coming back from dinner after dark saw a herd of deer - 6 total!  They were just making the turn into a suburb and lots of houses around.

To adapt the Acelane LED signals to the Yamaha hole I 3D printed some adapter plates I found on Thingverse - printed in PETG and they have held up very nicely even in 104F heat in Montana.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 1

6 hours ago, Wallygator said:

@marcuso here are the pics.

Front...sorry these are upside down🙃

IMG_20221024_184827357.thumb.jpg.3f9bda0770824774c696dd61eabc2e8a.jpg

Back....

IMG_20221024_184929951.thumb.jpg.9c823624058f97b673c51aab9f3bf425.jpg

horrible lighting on that one. But you can see the difference in the lights. Front and rear are the same length, about 5 3/8".

Thanks so much!

WOW those sure are big. They don't appear as large in the pic. I thought they were under 3" LOL

Appreciate the info!

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...

Notice for whom have changed the turn signals for the OE Yamaha LED from modern MT-07's and so on.

Those blinkers are hard plastic and even though my Tracer has Givi crash bars the blinkers protrude about an inch.

This morning I have had my first tip-over and the right turn signal instead of bending or broking it snapped inside, cracking the external side of the fairing and broking several points where the two piece plastic sandwich fairing fits together.

Luckily It seems that I was able to fix it with with epoxi resin and the crack is barely noticeable even if you get closer to the bike, but I'm afraid that maybe the next time I don't be so lucky.

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

47 minutes ago, miguelix said:

Those blinkers are hard plastic and even though my Tracer has Givi crash bars the blinkers protrude about an inch.

This morning I have had my first tip-over and the right turn signal instead of bending or broking it snapped inside, cracking the external side of the fairing and broking several points where the two piece plastic sandwich fairing fits together.

Thanks for sharing this information. I have a couple of questions.

When the indicator is installed in the fender, what is the connection to the fender like? I guess it must be a hard connection for the prying force to break the fender and not the indicator itself. Is there some sort of rubber grommet there? If not then that is not a good design. The stock pumpkins are designed to flex and while they would get damaged in contact with the ground, the fairing would likely be spared.

Edited by Grumpy Goat
  • Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Premium Member

I love my pumpkins!

I just put extra bright LED bulbs in them with a low load LED relay

now I also wired the rear for fronts and I have fronts front and rear 

Technically they should be red but that's life

what's life?

a magazine

how much does it cost?

25 cents

that's too much

that's life

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

Thanks for sharing this information. I have a couple of questions.

When the indicator is installed in the fender, what is the connection to the fender like? I guess it must be a hard connection for the prying force to break the fender and not the indicator itself. Is there some sort of rubber grommet there? If not then that is not a good design. The stock pumpkins are designed to flex and while they would get damaged in contact with the ground, the fairing would likely be spared.

The connection to the fender is soft rubber and has a grommet inside to prevent the indicator to slide to the outside, and the body of the indicator is hard plastic.

But if I try to flex them feels very very rigid compared to the original ones, them barely flexes and when you try it more hard you feel them wanting to snap

What I think that may have happened is that te body of the indicator is wider than the hole in the fender so it snapped to the inside and push it very hard against the fender and cracked.

• Thumbsup 1