GPS hardwire connection

joe72t

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Just hardwired a Garmin Zumo 595 LM on a 2015 FJ-09. 

Pretty straight forward.  On a 2015 there are 3 open switched connections behind the windscreen in front of the gauge. I went the simple route. Cut the Yamaha connector off. Spade connectors double heat shrinked. 

The 595 has a lot of redundant hardwire. An audio in, an audio out and a microphone connection. Plus a USB. 🤔

In a world of Bluetooth and it's Bluetooth capable. It seems ridiculous 🙄.  YMMV 

I only rode around the block as a service check so it's functionality is to be determined. It will get a fairly good shakedown this weekend. My oldest son is coming in and we will ride through the weekend. 

All the extra wire ended up behind the plastic cover between the windscreen mounting arms. For the record.  It's tight back there. I can see checking how things are going back there later on. It really doesn't seem to matter. There's no where else for it to go. IMO.

20210104_120919.jpg

20210104_122648.jpg

20210104_185325.jpg

20210104_185333.jpg

20210104_191628.jpg

20210104_195457.jpg

20210104_201536.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

A short add to this post.

About a week ago I went to get some crab cakes. Round trip is about 175 - 185 miles.  About 30 miles from home the gps lost power, about 2 minutes later regained power.  A few minutes after that It lost power for the remainder of the trip home., 45 minutes-ish.

The next day I start with fuses. All fuses on the bike are intact. I physically checked them all. 

I completely disassemble  the gps connections behind the screen. Right down to checking the spade connector crimps. The weak link IMO. All is well back there. No chafed wires (would blow a fuse? Right?) Snap it back in the cradle it's fine.... 

WTF?

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA