Cruising Range/MPG - How many miles on a tank of gas

Wolfp4cker

4 hours ago, Yamagun said:

That's a big improvement. I assume you had to buy a larger chain?  Do you notice less torque in the lower gears with your new setup? 

Nope. Same length as stock FJ at 110 links.

Torque seems all there from 4K rpm up and I’m just dropped down a gear in most situations.

Launch requires more clutch finesse but I’m not at the drag strip very often !!

And You can always put the 16 back on if you don’t like the effect of the 17. Change out takes 20 minutes once you’ve done it.

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

One of the things I do, is to keep track of what the Calculated or Actual MPG is, and the MPG Readout.  As you can see from this screen capture, it does vary.  In these cases, the MPG readout is lower than I'm actually getting.

image.thumb.png.0959ae17bb6cae8a8f58f3dae5eaa457.png

Sometimes, by quite a bit.  In this case, by 6 mpg.  At 49 mpg, I have a range of 196 miles supposedly.  But at the actual 55 mpg, I'm up to 220 miles and can breathe a lot easier if I'm planning on a fuel stop at 180 miles.

image.thumb.png.fdf00f7a37f51e1bfeffe84f0823a706.png

That's why I think it is important to know your bike.  Find a way to determine what your approximate MPG is before you end up walking.  On my F800GT, the gas tank is under the seat and of an odd shape.  So BMW didn't try to show the upper half of the fuel level.  It's full...till it is not.  So for me, I look to see what I'm getting for an average MPG as I'm riding...and at how many miles have I traveled when the fuel gauge goes below half.  Because at the halfway point, it's getting serious and I'd better know whether my plans will work, or not.  

I've seen the fuel tank hit the halfway point at 112 miles...which doesn't mean at all that I have a 224 mile range.  :)  It means to me more likely that I'm getting about 49-50 mpg.  Is my next fuel stop within the next 60-70 miles?  If so, great.  :)  If not, I'd better slow down and stretch the MPG out.  If I reach that halfway mark and I'm over 120 miles...say 128 miles...I'm really really happy.  Because I'm getting somewhere around 65 mpg and have no issues at all.

My point is simply, to know your bike.  

I talked to the campground host at one of the campgrounds in the North Cascades National Park.  There's no gas in the park.  But he had encountered numerous bikers who just assumed (that's an acronym that you should look up, if you don't know what it means)...anyway, they had assumed there would be gas in the park...and there wasn't.  He had to bail them out from their own stupidity.

I also left a town in Montana and refilled at about 80 miles down the road once.  Why?  My comfort zone or planning range is 180 miles.  That's way early and a "waste of time".  It was because I was headed to Lolo Pass and there's no services for at least 100+ miles.

Around town, I don't worry.  Gas is everywhere.  But I'll put on 15,000 miles this year and most of that is touring.  And that's when I need to know what my range is...and not what someone else's range is.  

Chris

Edited by daboo
  • Thumbsup 4

I filled up today, bike said 2.9 gallons used but I put 3.2 in.  Always mentally calibrate a bike to myself and riding conditions, don't trust what it says as it can vary but usually when they are off they are consistently off.  When I see 2.9 gallons used I'll know that 3.2 are probably gone.  Half doesn't necessarily mean half and Ive noticed the Tracer GT isn't consistent as to how many miles each mark below half lasts.  

@Daboo I did get 224 miles on the F800GT ONE TIME before the fuel light went on :-)  Had it go on at 140 as well - going a bit faster that time.

I've actually done better in the more remote areas because I know I have to be careful but in more populated areas sometimes I find myself trying to make "one more exit" and have come closer than I'd like a few times.

Another variable in the MPG equation for me ambient temperatures I'm riding in.

With E10 fuel I notice a slight reduction in mileage in cold weather (below 50 deg F.)

Really noticeable with the car when its below 30 deg F for sustained periods.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, nhchris said:

Another variable in the MPG equation for me ambient temperatures I'm riding in.

With E10 fuel I notice a slight reduction in mileage in cold weather (below 50 deg F.)

Really noticeable with the car when its below 30 deg F for sustained periods.

I notice the same thing, - in the summer or riding in a warmer region, I get much better fuel economy.  Higher altitude can increase fuel economy as well.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

I notice the same thing, - in the summer or riding in a warmer region, I get much better fuel economy.  

Perfectly normal, and there are many contributing factors.

Why is winter fuel economy lower?

Cold weather affects your vehicle in more ways than you might expect:

• Engine and transmission friction increases in cold temperatures due to cold engine oil and other drive-line fluids.
  • It takes longer for your engine to reach its most fuel-efficient temperature. This affects shorter trips more, since your car spends more of your trip at less-than-optimal temperatures.
  • Heated seats, window defrosters, and heater fans use additional power.
  • Warming up your vehicle before you start your trip lowers your fuel economy—idling gets 0 miles per gallon.
  • Colder air is denser, increasing aerodynamic drag on your vehicle, especially at highway speeds.
  • Tire pressure decreases in colder temperatures, increasing rolling resistance.
  • Winter grades of gasoline can have slightly less energy per gallon than summer blends.
  • Battery performance decreases in cold weather, making it harder for your alternator to keep your battery charged. This also affects the performance of the regenerative braking system on hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and electric vehicles.

Source: 

iStock_000033250404_470w.jpg

Cold weather can reduce your fuel economy. Our tips can help...

• Thanks 1