Beaky Bills and High Speed Aerodynamics...

• Supporting Member

Interesting findings.  Funny write-up!

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

If the beak is putting downward pressure at speed seems like it would be better for the Tracer GT as its a bit light in the front. As for the front tire I could see one causing that.  On my previous bike I mounted up an older Pilot Road 4GT, it had been on the bike before - swapped it back on to replace a newer Road 5.  It had a bounce/vibration.  Replaced it with a new Road 5 front and the vibration was gone!  It was a good tire then i took it off but somewhere it became not so good.  I did, and still plan to do, lots of 5,000 to 7,000 mile trips and not wanting to change tire in the middle of a trip I go thru a fair number of tires.  Upside is I have a spare tire if I need it and my friends get good used tires with a 4 or 5 thousand miles left.

Just a thought:

I noticed you had your beak fitted with the spacers. Many "beakers" (myself included) fit the nose without them, beak touching the lower part of the front fairing. Maybe that small gap between beak and nose fairing creates some weird aerodynamics?

Disclaimer: I haven't tested my bike with the beak yet😁

• Premium Member

Tire and/or suspension issues.  I find getting low over the tank is a must at "speed", the bigger the screen and/or beak, the more drag, the more vortex shedding to deal with.  Could be a loosened steering head, vibration due to NOT being flush (I'd install a thin rubber damper layer between), and/or the spacers causing vibration, etc, etc

Down force is good but is a very complicated when speeds, steering, braking are traded off each other.

But tires and suspension are most likely.

• Thumbsup 3

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, fjray said:

I've had my beak for a while now and have not noticed any issues with it.  I like the way it looks too. 

Not every one is a Sensitive Little Fuk...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rick123 said:

Not every one is a Sensitive Little Fuk...

Rick has been warned another outburst like this will get him banned. For now, he's been suspended for a week. 

Let's return to our normally scheduled content...

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 2

'15 FJ09

On 1/2/2021 at 9:46 AM, koth442 said:

Rick has been warned another outburst like this will get him banned. For now, he's been suspended for a week. 

Let's return to our normally scheduled content...

I think you should’ve first read the original posting here before you issued this warning!!! If you still don’t see what I was referring to I can quote it to you.

• Thumbsup 1

I love the look and I put a beak on mine over a year ago, haven't noticed an issue at all and have run it up to 230km/hr (140mph)...

I did order mine off Ali express, and the first one I got cracked when I tightened the screw, so they sent me a replacement. Since then, no issues!

Also not to get into forum 'drama', but I think @Rick123 was making a joke to OP's post where he refers to himself as a 'sensitive little fuk'

Edited by Husqy
  • Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Husqy said:

I love the look and I put a beak on mine over a year ago, haven't noticed an issue at all and have run it up to 230km/hr (140mph)...

I did order mine off Ali express, and the first one I got cracked when I tightened the screw, so they sent me a replacement. Since then, no issues!

Also not to get into forum 'drama', but I think @Rick123 was making a joke to OP's post where he refers to himself as a 'sensitive little fuk'

Wow, somebody got it. Thank you! The best part is that I’m planning to install the beak on my bike too😀

Edited by Rick123
  • Thumbsup 1