maximNikenGT

Just now, maximNikenGT said:

OMG!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVE A PHOTO OF YOU AT THE ACCIDENT STILL STUCK UNDER YOUR BIKE!?! 

In the US bystanders generally help you get the bike off you? 

On a separate note this make me want to look closer at my SW Motech crash bars to make sure if this happened to me then hopefully my foot wouldn't get crushed by the bike...

LOL, its from the traffic police who happened to be near by. i was able to pull my foot out just fine. no damage to the inner side of my right foot. i am recovering pretty well. will pick up my bike later this month if my doctor says its ok 

• Sad 1

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, Frank Hoo said:

LOL, its from the traffic police who happened to be near by. i was able to pull my foot out just fine. no damage to the inner side of my right foot. i am recovering pretty well. will pick up my bike later this month if my doctor says its ok 

Your family must have flipped out when they saw your photos...I'd be afraid to send that shot to my mom...

I'm glad to hear that you're ok and recovering well. Be sure to join both the Facebook Niken owners group(~600 people) as well as the broader Yamaha Niken Facebook (~1000 people) groups. Some interesting stuff people have done to their Nikens world wide.  

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

9 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

Your family must have flipped out when they saw your photos...I'd be afraid to send that shot to my mom...

I'm glad to hear that you're ok and recovering well. Be sure to join both the Facebook Niken owners group(~600 people) as well as the broader Yamaha Niken Facebook (~1000 people) groups. Some interesting stuff people have done to their Nikens world wide.  

I lost my FB account years ago. haven't used it since i finished college in US. BTW Charlotte is a lovely city. almost bought a apartment and make the investment immigration

also accessing FB is a bit challenging here in china as well

Edited by Frank Hoo
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, Frank Hoo said:

I lost my FB account years ago. haven't used it since i finished college in US. BTW Charlotte is a lovely city. almost bought a apartment and make the investment immigration

If you're ever in Charlotte hit me up. Always glad to meet with fellow Niken riders. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
34 minutes ago, Frank Hoo said:

the impact is to my right foot, so i had to go through a surgery

Yikes!  ..been there, man.  Took me about a year to recover from each lower extremity injury.  Had a low side and fractured #4 and #5 metatarsals in my left foot - took a year.  Then radiused my right foot which resulted in an ankle fracture, and my plate and pins look similar to yours - also took about a year.

Not that you need my advice, but one thing I'd do differently is start and remain diligent with rehab.  Start moving it as soon as you can, as much as you can.  Thankfully it's a very common injury, so there is lots of information.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

50 minutes ago, knyte said:

Yikes!  ..been there, man.  Took me about a year to recover from each lower extremity injury.  Had a low side and fractured #4 and #5 metatarsals in my left foot - took a year.  Then radiused my right foot which resulted in an ankle fracture, and my plate and pins look similar to yours - also took about a year.

Not that you need my advice, but one thing I'd do differently is start and remain diligent with rehab.  Start moving it as soon as you can, as much as you can.  Thankfully it's a very common injury, so there is lots of information.

thank you for your advise. it's the fibula that got hit. it carries less weight.

I actually started walking back in mid Jan, CT scan shows its getting there. I will defiantly seek doctor's option first. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

UPDATED WORLDWIDE NIKEN TOTALS: Source: from Niken owners. 

New high VIN confirmed for 2018 model year out of Portugal. This brings worldwide estimate to:

2018 Nikens =759,

2019 Nikens=1553, and

2020 Nikens =2258

Still no serial numbers confirmed for 2021 Nikens for a new worldwide total of 4570!

Country representation so far includes: Australia, Canada, China (only 23-24) Czechoslovakia, France, Italy (<120), Israel, Japan, New Zealand (only 14), Philippines, Portugal, Scotland, Serbia, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, UK, US, Wales.

For reference there were only 4795 Maserati 3200GT ever made. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
23 hours ago, Frank Hoo said:

thank you for your advise. it's the fibula that got hit. it carries less weight.

I actually started walking back in mid Jan, CT scan shows its getting there. I will defiantly seek doctor's option first. 

Took a closer look at my SW Motech crash bars and it didn't look like they would help to mitigate the scenario much  in your photo where my foot could get caught and crushed by the bike at a full stop on its side.  May have to get some R&G frame sliders just in case. 

2019 Niken GT

I saw a Niken in the wild!!!!  Sunday was on highway 54 west of Nevada Missouri and saw one!  Think it is the first one I have seen in the wild.  Tracer GT's are not exactly common but Nikens are rare indeed.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

UPDATED WORLDWIDE NIKEN TOTALS: Source: from Niken owners. 

Just learned of a Niken in the Dominican Republic. No updates to worldwide estimate but added to country representation list:

2018 Nikens =759,

2019 Nikens=1553, and

2020 Nikens =2258

Still no serial numbers confirmed for 2021 Nikens for a new worldwide total of 4570!

Country representation so far includes: Australia, Canada, China (only 23-24) Czechoslovakia, Dominican Republic, France, Italy (<120), Israel, Japan, New Zealand (only 14), Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Scotland, Serbia, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, UK, US, Wales.

For reference there were only 4795 Maserati 3200GT ever made. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I want one more and more all the time.  Almost entirely as a conversation piece, if I'm being honest.

I wouldn't trade my Tracer for one - I love my Tracer - but not gonna lie.  It looks fun

Go for a test ride - the stupid grin on my face after my test ride wouldn't leave for awhile. But the real question is whether or not it fits the style of riding that you prefer doing. For me it was a fantastic alternative to a BMW K1600 GTL or the latest generation Honda Goldwing full touring bikes. I even remotely considered the Yamaha Eluder before I was considering the Niken because the Transcontinental Eluder looks awesome and comfortable for my style of long distance riding.  

eluder.png

2019 Niken GT

• 3 weeks later...

I can't assist with the worldwide totals, but from what I can tell there must be 110 Nikens and 170 Niken GT's distributed in the USA for a total of 280.  They are all 2019's, as there appear to have been no 2018 or 2020 models sold here.  The VIN numbers in the U.S. are 005 - 174 for the GT model and 301 - 410 for the standard Niken model.  My wife has a Niken GT and I have Niken, so we have VIN numbers that fall into each of those ranges.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 5/2/2021 at 10:12 PM, FourSwords said:

I can't assist with the worldwide totals, but from what I can tell there must be 110 Nikens and 170 Niken GT's distributed in the USA for a total of 280.  They are all 2019's, as there appear to have been no 2018 or 2020 models sold here.  The VIN numbers in the U.S. are 005 - 174 for the GT model and 301 - 410 for the standard Niken model.  My wife has a Niken GT and I have Niken, so we have VIN numbers that fall into each of those ranges.

Greetings FourSwords. Welcome to the group.

That jives with the serial numbers and model years I've heard from US owners so far. So far I haven't been told by fellow owners of anyone with a 2018 or 2020 Niken in the US. 

[CORRECTION] Double checked owner posts in the Niken Facebook owners page and that there was an owner in Colorado #383 for a 8/18 manufacture date. Am checking with him separately to see if his was considered a 2019 model year.

If these numbers are remotely in the right ballpark then these numbers are even lower than what I would have minimally guessed for sales totals in the US. I would have expected at least 1000 of these to be on the road.

But if it comes down to only 170 GTs and 110 Nikens for a total of only 280 Nikens in the entire US, all of which happen to be 2019s, then that is dramatically lower than my lowest estimate. This averages out to almost 6 Nikens per US State.  

May I inquire as to how you got those US numbers?  

2019 Niken GT

I spent the last two months identifying all of the Nikens available for sale in the U.S., as found on Yamaha's website, on Cycletrader.com, and on Motohunt.com.  I purchased a brand new 2019 Niken GT for my wife and then a brand new 2019 Niken for me.  

In the process, I accumulated just under 50 VINs from Nikens for sale, about 3 from salvage auctions, a couple from your posts with other members, and one from an old article, for a total 54.  I noticed that they were all 2019 models.  Since there are 2 dozen never-sold 2019 Nikens sitting on showroom floors today and no 2020's listed anywhere, including the Yamaha main website, it is apparent  that Yamaha chose not to put any 2020's on the floor with all of the unsold inventory.  

And since I managed to get a sample of about 20% of the VINs and none of them are for 2018 models, I don't believe there were likely any sold in the U.S. for that model year.  One manufactured in August of 2018 was presumably for the 2019 model year.

I also noticed that all of the under-170 VIN numbers are Niken GT's and all of the over-300 VIN numbers are Nikens.  I have roughly every 4th VIN for Nikens and roughly every 6th VIN for GT's, along with where they are for sale, or were for sale, in the U.S. in the last two months.  Since none of the ones I found are between 169 and 307, either (1) Yamaha produced only up to about 170 GT's in their first run and left room to produce more if they needed to later, or (2) the ones that are numbered between 171-300 were shipped to another country.  Same goes for the standard model Nikens that ended at 410 - anything above that went elsewhere or Yamaha may have left a gap after 410 to have headroom for another production run.

Then I hit the NHTSA's website for the Yamaha recall on the brake switches.  It gives the VIN ranges for affected Nikens, which confirmed the approximate numbers I had assumed from my list of 54 VINs.  Look on the second page at VIN Range 3 (Niken GTs) and VIN Range 4 (Nikens).  It shows #5-#174 inclusive (total of 170) and #310-#410 inclusive (total of 110): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20V814-4925.PDF 

Edited by FourSwords
  • Thumbsup 1