maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member
23 hours ago, NikenLee said:

You can add 4 for Ireland, I have 1, and 2 donor (ex track) Nikens and a friend has another one.

Just to clarify - is this all of Ireland including northern Ireland? I may need to  adjust my UK total counts depending upon your answer. Also what year, GT or nonGT, and if you could confirm last four digits of your VIN so I can cross check with recall info to confirm that I'm not double counting niken totals with the UK please. 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

Here are 2 of the 4 VIN numbers,  I have the 2 others elsewhere but will get them at some stage

My niken was registered in Southern Ireland (Republic of Ireland) in July 2019 the VIN is JYARN581000000470

and my donor track bike  is JYARN581000000046 and was never registered.

Both are Graphite Black non GT versions

best regards

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, NikenLee said:

Here are 2 of the 4 VIN numbers,  I have the 2 others elsewhere but will get them at some stage

My niken was registered in Southern Ireland (Republic of Ireland) in July 2019 the VIN is JYARN581000000470

best regards

Thank you sir. Will adjust my total counts. 

2019 Niken GT

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 2/4/2022 at 12:10 PM, NikenLee said:

best regards

My lady and I are planning to visit Ireland in May this year. Any recommendations on good routes to ride? I'll be renting a Harley Davidson while I'm there to see the countryside.  

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Add me to the list 2019 Niken GT #0011. Sales guy said it is new as it was never registered. I'll wait to see what happens when DMV processes the paperwork. Traded my 2017 FJ-09 for the Niken, (actually got more for the FJ than I paid for it, almost 3000 miles and 2 years ago, as a left over with zero miles). My sales guys said that the North America got about 500 Nikens. They were told it was only designed and sold for the patent?... and that the real money is in Yamaha's smaller three wheeler that they will be selling in the US sometime in the future. So no more Nikens according to them. 

As a some what older inexperienced rider I love how much confidence the Niken delivers. No more tensing up when approaching a pothole or bump, driving this thing is smooth. Now I will admit I didn't do enough to get the suspension right for my weight on the FJ, but I drove 205 miles for the trade and the 205 mile drive home was much more relaxing. It feels like a bigger bike but rides the same. It was in driving mode 3 which made it feel a little less powerful, but when I changed to mode 2 I felt no real difference from the FJ-09. Now that's coming from someone who never got the FJ over 6000rpm's, that honor will be for whoever purchases my well farkeled Blue/Purple FJ-09 with cruise, heated grips, quick-shifter and numerous other bits and pieces. 

The only issue I have with the Niken is the seat height. I am on my tippy toes all the time. The GT seat is higher than the non GT which I had sat on once, and I had the FJ lowered. I didn't get a whole lot of documentation, and only one key until I make a trip back with some of the stock bits I have lying around and offered up during the sale.

I was trying to figure out how to remove the pannier case rack and gave up, but later found some short keys that may work? Also Yamaha says the GT comes with a security system which I can't find. The two books I got are the Riding Tips/Practice Guide and the MTX9GTK Owners Manual. The owners manual don't seem to cover the additional items on the GT, so I'm wondering if other GT owners got another manual or more documentation with instructions for the extra's?

Already I have a list of accessories to work through. Anyone found hard panniers with the same mounting hardware as the GT soft bags? Which Crash bars offer the most protection. Is there a taller windscreen with holes in the same place as the stock GT, for easy changing out with the seasons. Sexy Brake/Clutch levers and maybe the Yamaha lowering link?

I've read that the grab rail on the back accepts a top case, I'm interested in knowing what would be needed to fit my Shad 58X? 

Didn't sleep much last night even though I was wore out from my 410 miles. I was like a kid with a new puppy in the garage. Funny how a bike can do that to us. Hoping for a better night tonight. Bye for now.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/pages/niken-vs-niken-gt-comparison

20220318_144111.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
On 3/1/2022 at 8:27 AM, maximNikenGT said:

My lady and I are planning to visit Ireland in May this year. Any recommendations on good routes to ride? I'll be renting a Harley Davidson while I'm there to see the countryside.  

Consider the coastal route...

• Supporting Member
On 3/19/2022 at 11:08 PM, Heli ATP said:

Add me to the list 2019 Niken GT #0011. Sales guy said it is new as it was never registered. I'll wait to see what happens when DMV processes the paperwork. Traded my 2017 FJ-09 for the Niken, (actually got more for the FJ than I paid for it, almost 3000 miles and 2 years ago, as a left over with zero miles). My sales guys said that the North America got about 500 Nikens. They were told it was only designed and sold for the patent?... and that the real money is in Yamaha's smaller three wheeler that they will be selling in the US sometime in the future. So no more Nikens according to them. 

As a some what older inexperienced rider I love how much confidence the Niken delivers. No more tensing up when approaching a pothole or bump, driving this thing is smooth. Now I will admit I didn't do enough to get the suspension right for my weight on the FJ, but I drove 205 miles for the trade and the 205 mile drive home was much more relaxing. It feels like a bigger bike but rides the same. It was in driving mode 3 which made it feel a little less powerful, but when I changed to mode 2 I felt no real difference from the FJ-09. Now that's coming from someone who never got the FJ over 6000rpm's, that honor will be for whoever purchases my well farkeled Blue/Purple FJ-09 with cruise, heated grips, quick-shifter and numerous other bits and pieces. 

The only issue I have with the Niken is the seat height. I am on my tippy toes all the time. The GT seat is higher than the non GT which I had sat on once, and I had the FJ lowered. I didn't get a whole lot of documentation, and only one key until I make a trip back with some of the stock bits I have lying around and offered up during the sale.

I was trying to figure out how to remove the pannier case rack and gave up, but later found some short keys that may work? Also Yamaha says the GT comes with a security system which I can't find. The two books I got are the Riding Tips/Practice Guide and the MTX9GTK Owners Manual. The owners manual don't seem to cover the additional items on the GT, so I'm wondering if other GT owners got another manual or more documentation with instructions for the extra's?

Already I have a list of accessories to work through. Anyone found hard panniers with the same mounting hardware as the GT soft bags? Which Crash bars offer the most protection. Is there a taller windscreen with holes in the same place as the stock GT, for easy changing out with the seasons. Sexy Brake/Clutch levers and maybe the Yamaha lowering link?

I've read that the grab rail on the back accepts a top case, I'm interested in knowing what would be needed to fit my Shad 58X? 

Didn't sleep much last night even though I was wore out from my 410 miles. I was like a kid with a new puppy in the garage. Funny how a bike can do that to us. Hoping for a better night tonight. Bye for now.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/pages/niken-vs-niken-gt-comparison

20220318_144111.jpg

Welcome to the group! Have fun with all of the product upgrade research. Made a bunch of threads on all of the same questions I had when I first joined this forum. At the time there was very little in the way of centralized internet knowledge on the Nikens in English from actual owners, but we've evolved thanks to the community into one of the best owner driven forums for all things Niken. 

Insightful feedback from your local dealer.  The low volumes in the US would make sense if Yamaha did the Niken only to secure the specific patents for future invasion by Yamaha Tricities. Makes sense with current gas prices hovering at $5/gallon for premium in the USA and with the severe automotive shortage. 

Also would love to learn where their 500 estimate comes from since we've got hard recall data that  confirms Niken numbers in the US at less than 300.  May have just been talking in broad swaths...

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

Very good video(s) if you include the south of Ireland one he did earlier.   They cover most of the 'remote' things to see.  He was unlucky with the weather, usually it changes quickly from day to day and hour to hour. 

It all depends on how long you plan to stay and your start/end ports.

I think he should have stayed a night in a few larger towns/cities too such as Donegal, Galway, Killarney, Kilkenny to balance up the experience.  After a few days, solitary scenery becomes enough.

Some arrive in Dublin port and depart Larne to visit Scotland, others depart Dublin and take in Snowdonia in North Wales (fab).  You can also go from Rosslare to Fishguard in south Wales, or Rosslare to France.

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Supporting Member

I don't suppose anyone from Europe has one of the newest 2023 Nikens already or is on order for one? Would like to see what sequence numbers they're starting with the 2023 production runs and update my worldwide estimates. 

2019 Niken GT