Drive Mode B

Skidood

Welcome!  I have not seen the extreme jerkiness that is sometimes attributed to the Tracer GT.  Think some of it is due to the earlier model FJ09.  But for my experience.  2 and a half years ago I traded a 2014 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 for a BMW F800GT - LOL 2 very different bikes.  BMW was a good bike just needed a bit more power.  Before the ZX6R had a couple of sport bikes that really defined the meaning of jersey throttle at low revs.  So I was 1,100 miles from home when the BMW broke down.  Was planning on trading for a Tracer GT at the end of the trip but when it broke found a good price on a new Tracer GT in Sioux Falls SD.  Fixed the BMW and rode 250 miles and traded.  So here I am having read all the threads about jersey throttle response and wimpy suspension trading for a bike I was going to have to load with all my gear and ride 100 miles to where I was staying!  To say I was nervous was an understatement.  B mode and I think level 2 on traction control.  I did do a 3 mile test ride before moving all my gear over - full sidecases, duffle bag on rear seat and a 12" tool bag from WalMart filled with my tank bag stuff!  Eased out of the parking lot, giving it good revs so as not to stall like the BMW liked to do if not enough revs.  Wahoo nice and smooth takeoff, easy to balance, hey I'm liking this!!!!  Put 600 miles on it over the next 3 days and then had the first service done.  This was South Dakota and pretty flat so easy to take off, but still no problems with jerky throttle response or anything.  Get back home with no problems.  So going to ride out of my driveway, it short and steep but I have seen much worse.  13 or 14 foot elevation gain over 60 feet.  First time I rode up almost stalled the bike, pulled clutch in and then gave it too many revs but made it ok.  No that Ive done that a few times it is not hard at all - secret is slipping the clutch properly. That is my worst experience in dealing with a jerky throttle response.  

In summary IMO the throttle is not super smooth but not horrible either, when starting off if going up a grade a few revs and slip the clutch, learn to take off slipping the clutch correctly then it works and is not jerky or abrupt.  However in traction control mode 2 it will chop the throttle if you are too ham fisted with it - and roll quickly to full throttle in 1st gear.   Front wheel will start to lift and then throttle is abruptly chopped.   Haven't done much riding with TCS in mode 1 but think it is not so abrupt chopping the throttle when the front wheel lifts.  All in all I'm happy with the bike and the throttle response is not perfect or perfectly smooth all the time but in general not as bad as some make it sound like.

As already documented, there was definitely existing abrupt throttle response problem on 2015-16 models. Personally, after 6 weeks and 5000km (since I got my 2017) I am not expiriencing any jerkiness issues. 2018 and up GT models are perhaps  even more polished in this department.

• Thumbsup 2

I found the throttle response a bit abrupt in A mode, but as mentioned before you adjust to it over time and a smooth throttle hand helps quite a bit.

I sent my ECU off to Ivan's Performance and it was a big improvement in the on/off throttle response in A mode.  However I still prefer Standard mode as it provides throttle response that is plenty rapid enough while being a bit more smooth.  Mode B I only use when traction is compromised by rain or road debris.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On 12/18/2020 at 6:15 PM, texscottyd said:

Now I just feel personally attacked...  

For the record, I prefer the term ‘enlightened’ to ‘extremely careless’  :D 

Are you going to have preferred personal pronouns next?  LOL!  When I picked up my bike after the first oil change the tech left it in standard mode.  Wheeeeeeeeeeee!  It was noticeable.  LOL! 

16 hours ago, Coop said:

Are you going to have preferred personal pronouns next?  LOL!  When I picked up my bike after the first oil change the tech left it in standard mode.  Wheeeeeeeeeeee!  It was noticeable.  LOL! 

My experience was the opposite. Pulling onto a non limited-access divided highway going to work after hauling my wife around over the weekend in B mode and wondering what the issue is?!?

Mine pretty much lives in A. I wish the rotary thumb switch ran the throttle mode & traction control mode with the menus/grip heat on the left switch gear though. 

On 12/18/2020 at 12:13 PM, HGP61 said:

I had mine set to "B" mode for the first few weeks after I bought it. you will get used to the bike very quickly. Just take it easy and enjoy getting to know the bike. If I remember I try to switch to B mode for any low speed maneuvering or U turns and such like. 

Are you saying that you're switching modes while in motion?  I thought that was verboten according to Yamaha.  I never tried it though, so...

When I took delivery of my FJR, the tech (and the manual IICR) expressly advised against doing that.  What gives?

Speaking of the FJR and abrupt throttle...yes my FJR had the same off-idle fueling issue and severe chop on decel.  But with its larger engine/flywheel, and massive weight, it wasn't as noticeable as on the Tracer.  More inertia, apparently.

On-the-fly mode switching and up/down QS would make the Tracer a whole lot more fun.  Please don't tell me I just spent the whole summer not knowing I could switch modes at will!   😉

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, 2WHLOZK said:

Are you saying that you're switching modes while in motion?  I thought that was verboten according to Yamaha.  I never tried it though, so...

When I took delivery of my FJR, the tech (and the manual IICR) expressly advised against doing that.  What gives?

On-the-fly mode switching and up/down QS would make the Tracer a whole lot more fun.  Please don't tell me I just spent the whole summer not knowing I could switch modes at will!   😉

Yes, - roll off throttle for a second, switch mode and roll throttle back on... good to go. 👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, betoney said:

Are you saying that you're switching modes while in motion?

Yes, just as quick and easy as betoney states above. I have only been caught out by a jerky throttle action a few times. Each time at slow speed from a fully closed throttle in standard mode. Never felt it dangerous and perhaps pushed up to a foot off my intended line Never felt it in B mode.

• Thumbsup 1

On 12/18/2020 at 3:43 PM, Salish900 said:

This has been my experience with the 900 as well. Smooth throttle inputs. The 900 is actually far smoother than my Connie had been. Man, if you aren't careful on a Connie you are peeling out the rear wheel on wet roads half the time.  I ride my 900 almost exclusively in Std and find it incredibly smooth at low speeds. But like @betoney says, it's all in the wrist...

Oh yeah I had an 08 C14 and the on/off throttle response was MUCH WORSE!!! I don't find my GT to really be much worse than my Strom 650 was, I typically just stay in standard mode. 

Edited by Ride365

7 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Oh yeah I had an 08 C14 and the on/off throttle response was MUCH WORSE!!! I don't find my GT to really be much worse than my Strom 650 was, I typically just stay in standard mode. 

Should have had that Connie flashed by Ivan, all that nonsense goes away and will absolutely smoke the Tracer. The best $300 you will ever spend. I don't notice this on the Tracer though. The factory map in the Kawi's was horribe.

Edited by Shizzle

56 minutes ago, Shizzle said:

Should have had that Connie flashed by Ivan, all that nonsense goes away and will absolutely smoke the Tracer. The best $300 you will ever spend. I don't notice this on the Tracer though. The factory map in the Kawi's was horribe.

HATED that damn bike in so many ways, yet it was fast....and heavy.....and hot.....and cumbersome, and had plenty of annoying issues which ruined what should've been a great platform for Kawasaki and in at least my owner experience. The FJR is/was all around better machine IMHO, and I am not so sure that a C14 will smoke a Tracer. ;) Sure it has a faster top speed, and "might" get a Tracer in the 1/4 mile.......but in any other performance and reliability category the Tracer basically smokes the C14. 

• Thumbsup 1

I found the hurkey jerkey to be obnoxious until I had Ivans flash done.  Can't recommend it enough.  I was lackadaisically pulling away from a stop sign with only one hand on the throttle and the bike lurched.  I instinctively held on which in turn increased the throttle.  Causing the bike to accelerate even more.  Damn near dropped it.  It was my fault for not being more attentive, but I never had that happen before in my 30 years of riding.  

Edited by iitywygms

Lots of significant changes in 2010 on the Concours, some good some bad. I wouldn't compare a 2010 and up to an 08 that's for sure. But the love of the bike really came after Ivan's Tune. Fixed all the fueling issues when going full closed throttle. It was a great machine but definitely demanded respect. Mean looking bike too and with aftermarket exhaust sounded as bad as it was and pushing 150 hp it was a blast to ride.  Loved that bike. Mine was a 2011. I sold it before I killed myself on it.