Drive Mode B

Skidood

2 minutes ago, Shizzle said:

Lots of significant changes in 2010 on the Concours, some good some bad. I wouldn't compare a 2010 and up to an 08 that's for sure. But the love of the bike really came after Ivan's Tune. Fixed all the fueling issues when going full closed throttle. It was a great machine but definitely demanded respect. Mean looking bike too and with aftermarket exhaust sounded as bad as it was and pushing 150 hp it was a blast to ride.  Loved that bike. Mine was a 2011. I sold it before I killed myself on it. 

Yeah I am very familiar with the C14 model, friend of mine had a 10 and still had many of the issues which occurred on the 08/09. Kawasaki screwed up with that bike, still doesn't have ride by wire and cruise control.  I had an Area P exhaust and yeah it sounded sick and was fast, looked great with the bags off too. 

9 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Yeah I am very familiar with the C14 model, friend of mine had a 10 and still had many of the issues which occurred on the 08/09. Kawasaki screwed up with that bike, still doesn't have ride by wire and cruise control.  I had an Area P exhaust and yeah it sounded sick and was fast, looked great with the bags off too. 

I added Rostra cruise to my 2011. Should have never sold that bike. 

• 3 weeks later...

Little late with a reply here, but here goes.

I find the Tracer very abrupt too.  To me, it feels like the old turbos on cars.  Smooth up to a certain RPM.  Then it "explodes" with acceleration.  Even in B mode.

I found a little of this on my Gen 2 , FJR.  I put on a G2 Throttle Tamer and it helped a lot.  Still have the FJR.  Compared to the Tracer, the FJR feels totally linear, like a rheostat, but like someone else here said, that could have a lot to do with weight and inertia stuff.

I did the same on the Tracer.  It does help a little, but it's still jerky.  Easy fix though, so I'd recommend it, (see below).

BTW, I searched for info on the Tracer mapping to find if the modes actually affect horsepower.  Some mapping software just dials back gross HP, and some do a more sophisticated remapping.

Anyone know which method the Tracer uses?

I've tried measuring 0-60 times in A and B and feel there's little measurable difference.

stew-gobbler-123.jpg

Shop G2 Throttles at our official online store. Quick Turn, Throttle Tamer...

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, Chris FJR said:

Little late with a reply here, but here goes.

I find the Tracer very abrupt too.  To me, it feels like the old turbos on cars.  Smooth up to a certain RPM.  Then it "explodes" with acceleration.  Even in B mode.

I found a little of this on my Gen 2 , FJR.  I put on a G2 Throttle Tamer and it helped a lot.  

I don’t understand you feeling the abrupt throttle in B mode, mine is absolutely electric and linear.  There is no explosion of power, just ultra smooth throughout the throttle range,  I use B mode in sketchy conditions like cold, frosty roads or slippery conditions, very similar feeling to a Toyota Camry.

Is the slack taken out of your throttle cable?

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

OP here...so on the weekend I took the Tracer out, just up and down the residential street here, first time driving this bike, and any bike after 25 years away from biking...even in Mode B I was very surprised at how abrupt the throttle response was when just coming off a bit from zero throttle ...mind you this was in first and second gear...quickly I realized you really have to hang on tight to the grips!.....I almost lost my grip on the bars a couple times when I wasn't expecting the bike to literally leap forward........I'm not worried about it, just have to get used to it and work on my wrist action,...last bike I had was a 85 Virago and you did not have to "white-glove" the throttle but that's a totally different bike and motor.....but with the Tracer, if you're in stop and go traffic,, unless you're always feathering the clutch, I can see this <maybe> being pretty annoying.  But I still look very much forward to becoming as one with this machine.

• Thumbsup 1

Interesting, I'm like @betoney as in B mode my throttle is pretty tame IMO.  I generally don't have any problem with having to "hang on" but if I'm not paying attention and give it a pretty good bit of throttle it will jerk me backwards - not saying you are not paying attention but more I adjust and compensate for the acceleration and don't notice it so much.  I tend to grip the bike with my knees and try and keep a light feel on the bars.  When I first got my bike was surprised at how smooth it was - low throttle openings and low RPM but well above stalling territory.  

• Premium Member

Daju Vu all over again...

I've said it before, A Mode was a bit snappy but wrist control is the key.  Try a 500 cc 2-smoke in loamy soil with patches of clay.  Since the flash I only run STD in really tight stuff, when I'm tired or it's going to be a long day.  I've only run B to check it out a few times but haven't needed it due to sketchy conditions (yet).

Clutch feathering and a smooth throttle, using the slip - assist function and keeping the revs above 7, 200 and I find my fastest red 15 FJ very controllable and predictable.  If actually a little dull or lacking in oomph, pick-up.  But I'm jaded by my 2-strokes.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Try a 500 cc 2-smoke in loamy soil with patches of clay.  Since the flash I only run STD in really tight stuff, when I'm tired or it's going to be a long day.  I've only run B to check it out a few times but haven't needed it due to sketchy conditions (yet).

But I'm jaded by my 2-strokes.

I have ridden 2-stroke dirt bikes most of my life and currently have a YZ250.  The first time I rode a CR500 it scared the hell out of me, it was either wheelying at the slightest crack of the throttle or throwing a 30' rooster tail of mud.  Throttle control indeed.

My last sport bike was a ZX6R 636 which was nice but had a great high RPM rush!   In 1st or 2nd if the throttle was slammed open at 8,000 wahoo hang on!  I'm sure nothing like a big 2 smoke dirt bike :-)  

I also appreciate what @Skidood is saying, if you are not used to the power of the modern bikes the Tracer GT can be surprising.  It is a very quick bike in the sport touring group.  Other bikes have more speed but it's a rare bike that is faster than the Tracer GT thru the first couple of gears.  It's not a beginner bike and needs practice and respect.  However I'm sure they will be up to speed in no time.  I found the Tracer GT to be a really nice bike just poking around on with smaller throttle openings and lower RPMs.  Other than a 2 mile test ride my first ride on my Tracer GT was with full side cases and a full 58 liter duffle on the rear seat.  I was nervous as I didn't want to drop my new bike.  It was so easy to balance and ride!  I wandered around Sioux Falls a bit looking for gas before winding up across the street from the dealership!  The rode 100 miles to where I was staying!  However!  But!  I made it home and the 1st time riding out of my driveway was almost a disaster!  South Dakota was pretty flat, no so my driveway.  My house is 4 or 5 feet below street level with a garage basement.  I came out of the garage and turned to ride up the driveway.  Not enough revs and almost stalling so pull in clutch and a=give some gas - top way too many revs, careful with the clutch!  It was ugly but I made it just barely.  LOL now not so hard just give it some gas and carefully slip the clutch and i go right up!  I do understand how it can be tough but in my case a little practice made it very easy to ride up the driveway and stop at the street.  

4 hours ago, Skidood said:

OP here...so on the weekend I took the Tracer out, just up and down the residential street here, first time driving this bike, and any bike after 25 years away from biking...even in Mode B I was very surprised at how abrupt the throttle response was when just coming off a bit from zero throttle ...mind you this was in first and second gear...quickly I realized you really have to hang on tight to the grips!.....I almost lost my grip on the bars a couple times when I wasn't expecting the bike to literally leap forward........I'm not worried about it, just have to get used to it and work on my wrist action,...last bike I had was a 85 Virago and you did not have to "white-glove" the throttle but that's a totally different bike and motor.....but with the Tracer, if you're in stop and go traffic,, unless you're always feathering the clutch, I can see this <maybe> being pretty annoying.  But I still look very much forward to becoming as one with this machine.

am coming from Triumph T100, the initial part yes, in B mode these bike really wants more and more, now have gotten used to it, switching between Standard and B, though have only use A mode couple of times when i need more andrenalin pumping to my heart ! 

@Skidood

Throttle control / muscle memory is a big part of it. Also have you considered Flashing the ECU? There are several settings that are addressed that really smooth things out. If I remember correctly, much of the on/off throttle abruptness is caused by a setting which cuts the fuel to the injectors during deceleration to improve fuel efficiency. Disabling this feature with a flash makes a big difference. Several other settings can be adjusted as well to get what your looking for.  I used vcyclenut for mine... Now I have it start in "A" mode and literally never change it.

s575699203315984840_p2_i12_w576.jpeg

store to purchase ECU flash for yamaha...

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

@Skidood

Throttle control / muscle memory is a big part of it. Also have you considered Flashing the ECU? There are several settings that are addressed that really smooth things out. If I remember correctly, much of the on/off throttle abruptness is caused by a setting which cuts the fuel to the injectors during deceleration to improve fuel efficiency. Disabling this feature with a flash makes a big difference. Several other settings can be adjusted as well to get what your looking for.  I used vcyclenut for mine... Now I have it start in "A" mode and literally never change it.

Same here, mine is set to A-mode by default and stays there 99% of the time.  Once flashed the bike can be VERY smooth.

• Thumbsup 2

B-mode makes the bike feel broken to me :(

Mine's a 2019 Tracer 900 GT, so I've missed the FJ09 extreme jerkiness.  I've got a Booster Plug, which certainly helps a lot with the off-idle jerkiness.  The GT doesn't need a flash but, like anything else, would still benefit from one.  I'm a fan of the Booster Plug though because it's removeable in a couple minutes and has no danger of voiding a warranty as a result (they'll never know it was there, muahah!) 

As to the 0-60 times noted above, I can't say I've measured, but throttle is HEAVILY limited in B mode until you get above ~5000rpms.  There's a HUGE difference in performance.  But all it does is basically limit throttle position until you get to higher RPMS and then it has no impact - B-mode at 6000RPM and A-mode at 6000RPM are identical.  Still, that's a substantial loss off the line, so if you're getting the same 0-60 times in B mode and A mode, you're launching very, very weakly in A mode.  

If you've got a Tracer (vs the FJ) accidental wheelies are *possible* but you've got to work to do it; that 2" of extra swingarm length makes a huge difference. 

• Thumbsup 1

B mode is usually for if the road surface is usually wet or damp or loose, try hard acceleration away from traffic lights and see what happens compared to A or STD modes, especially if someone is going to hard accelerate behind you who either as TC or not on full power

Edited by littlebruv

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, betoney said:

I have ridden 2-stroke dirt bikes most of my life and currently have a YZ250.  The first time I rode a CR500 it scared the hell out of me, it was either wheelying at the slightest crack of the throttle or throwing a 30' rooster tail of mud.  Throttle control indeed.

I would love to have a street legal CR500 SuperMoto, but then again I think a TZ750 would be the perfect bike to ride to church on Sunday😁

• Haha 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.