Textile touring jacket.....what have you got?

johnmark101

I have always worn leathers but stopping to put on a rain suit over leathers is a pain and it gets hot in summer riding.  I am attracted to the waterproof textile touring jackets and would like something that can be ridden in all seasons, or at least from early spring to early winter.  I want something that offers excellent protection in the event of an accident, has plenty of storage pockets and will ventilate very well in the hot days of summer.  Good ventilation is important to me.   Have looked at several on line, as there is no place locally that sells decent riding gear.  The Firstgear Kilimanjaro looks decent.  The Klim Latitude appears to be a very good choice but it is not cheap.  However I don't mind paying for quality and am not put off by price if the value is there. 

For those of you who ride in a waterproof, textile touring jacket, please share with me what you have and the positives as well as the negatives.  Keep in mind I am looking for a waterproof shell, good crash protection, good ventilation and pockets for storage. 

Thanks in advance for your replies.  👍

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

@johnmark101 - I haven't found a waterproof jacket that also vents well enough for Summer use, there are many times when even my full vented summer jacket is too hot in the high 90's and triple digits.  I have both waterproof jacket and pants and full vented jacket and pants. 

Everyone's tolerance for heat/humidity and venting are different, I overheat way to quickly when using my 'winter' riding gear above 60-65 degrees and have to switch to my vented gear.  YMMV.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I ride with a Revit Sand 3 jacket year round except for the hottest of summer days, when I use a fully vented Joe Rocket. it doesn't quite breath well enough for that, even with all of the vents open, though you might get away with it in Kentucky. It comes with both a waterproof and insulated liner which keeps me quite warm in the cooler months. It has two pretty sizable front pockets as well as a few smaller pockets here and there. My only real complaint is that putting in the liners is a bit of a pain in the rear end. So if you think you're gonna get in some showers, it's best to put it in before you leave. Shoulder and elbow protection comes standard, but no back armor. I'm not even sure if they make this particular jacket anymore, but Revit does make some solid gear.

• Thumbsup 2

I bought a FirstGear Kilimanjaro last spring.  It's vents better than you would expect and has been comfortable into the low 80 degree F temps.  I goes over my heated liner well for cold weather.  I still switch to mesh gear for the hottest part of the year here in Georgia.  After a couple thousand miles, I really like this jacket.  Got mine at Revzilla on sale for about $380.  

I got a cheap denim jacket and change all the protector, elbow, shoulder and back to a better one.... for short distant ride. recently got a Dainese Carve Master 2 during sale and i used it for long distant trip. rode on heavy rain, it works to keep me dry. 

Currently using a KLIM Latitude Misano (that model is no longer available) - bought it lightly used in like new condition off of 

adv_og_logo-1.jpg

Adventure Rider is the center of the adventure motorcycle riding world...

forum.  Previously had been using an Aerostich Darien which needed to be replaced.  Love the KLIM jacket - very functional.  During the summer months I wear an Olympia textile/mesh jacket.  On the Adventure Rider "flea market" gear section there a lot of nice lightly used gear advertised.

Have had both First Gear Kilimanjaro & KLIM Latitude jacket & pants. I found both to be very good.

However, I would go KLIM again despite the price....it is well worth it.  Underneath in colder weather I use Warm & Safe full heated suit.

My husband also has both KLIM Badass jacket & pants and again money well spent.

Hope that helps.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

I have just very recently bought a set of Oxford Mondial advanced textile riding gear. Havent had the chance to use it yet as the bike is tucked away for the winter. I bought it partly on a Friend's recomendation, being a laminated outer shell it should be very waterproof and the vents should be much more efficient at letting air flow through the jacket. I have never found the vents particularly effective on any set with a drop waterproof liner that I have tried. Only annoying bit is having to buy a back protector as an extra feel that should be fitted as standard. Time will tell if I have made the correct decision.

• Premium Member

I scored a smoking deal on the Held Carese II at chromeburner.com.  Not currently on sale by them but it’s a very nice jacket with vents aplenty.  Waterproofness via a Goretex liner that can be worn inside or outside the jacket.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming.

In the summer months I ride in a RS Taichi perforated leather jacket and it flows air pretty well.  As long as I am moving it works well in temperatures into the upper 80's farenheight.  At 90 and above it is too hot.  

Wondering if jackets like the Klim Lattitude would flow air as well with all the vents open.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

Don't know if this counts as a "jacket" but Aerostich R-3 light one piece suit for the past 10 years. Beat out my Dainese GTR textile jacket in terms of functionality, waterproofing, armor,and ventilation. Other surprise is how well it's built to accommodate electric heated vests and gear with tailored pass through holes for wired connectors while keeping water out. Super comfortable with assorted vents to keep you cooler in the hot days and can all be zippered to keep you warm when it gets chilly. 

Aerostich, the place to find motorcycle jackets, suits, helmets, boots...

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

I have two textile jackets, I'm very pleased with both.  A BMW Rallye Pro 2 jacket I have owned for about ten years. Very well made, versatile, and well armoured jacket for almost any season. As it is is showing a bit of wear(chiefly the velcro fasteners) I also purchased a Fieldsheer Adventure tour jacket, and it has been wonderful!  It has 90% of the quality of the Bmw, but when I got it, it was about 25% of the price.  I don't think you can find one for sale anymore, but if you can, snap it up!!  Well made, heavy cordura body, extremely well vented and comes with a gore-tex like rain liner as well as a thermal liner. A solid 3 season jacket.  There seems to be a similar version available in Canada, but it does not have the same Cordura outer shell, so buyer beware!

fieldsheer_adventure_tour_jacket_neck.jp

Fieldsheer Is Back With The Adventure Tour Outfit Fieldsheer is...

Edited by Basket

• Premium Member

Firstgear Kilimanjaro with Klim forecast rain pants when necessary. 

6'1" ~200lbs 34" inseam 

Waterproof, warm when needed and vents really well too.

20201025_155049.jpg

Firstgear Kilimanjaro Jacket - RevZilla

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA