2019 Tracer 900 GT fork oil

Bimbim18

Ok so I gotta replace my dust seals. For stock suspension what fork oil do I need and how much? 

Seal kit arrived, I bought a bench vice and suspension compressing tools and I think in ready to go.... everything but the oil lol. I lost my owner manual,  and in google searches I can only find people discussing aftermarket and modified forks it seems. 

Stock fork oil is Yamaha Suspension Oil 01. If this oil currently suits your needs in terms of compression and rebound damping then you might want to stick to it. Personally when changing my front fork springs I used Motul 7.5W which has a bit more viscosity than the stock oil. I switched because I was almost at the end of the adjustment range on both adjusters.

Regarding volume I used the fork oil level method (175mm air gap for both legs when measuring from the top of the gold fork tube with no spring, no spacer, no cap). Another method is to measure how much volume you pour out and pour in the same volume inside the fork leg. I suggest you watch Dave Moss videos especially the one for the R6 forks which are quite similar to the Tracer forks.

Edited by 2WCaptain
  • Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, Bimbim18 said:

Ok so I gotta replace my dust seals.

Why does a year-old bike need new seals?

My Fazer was 16 years old when I sold it, original seals and no leaks.

45 minutes ago, andz said:

Maybe they have stopped barking for fish? Can't get reliable help these days. 

4 hours ago, andz said:

I have another post in here explaining why. 

Still Not sure what would happen to cause it,  but it doesn't change the fact it needs to be changed.  Im just gonna replace both to keep them symmetrical. (Oil age, type,  levels etc) 

• Thumbsup 1

6 hours ago, 2WCaptain said:

Stock fork oil is Yamaha Suspension Oil 01. If this oil currently suits your needs in terms of compression and rebound damping then you might want to stick to it. Personally when changing my front fork springs I used Motul 7.5W which has a bit more viscosity than the stock oil. I switched because I was almost at the end of the adjustment range on both adjusters.

Regarding volume I used the fork oil level method (175mm air gap for both legs when measuring from the top of the gold fork tube with no spring, no spacer, no cap). Another method is to measure how much volume you pour out and pour in the same volume inside the fork leg. I suggest you watch Dave Moss videos especially the one for the R6 forks which are quite similar to the Tracer forks.

Hmm I missed that video,  thanks for pointing it out I'll definitely watch it.  I remembered him recommending cutting down the spacers (I think it was on tracers)  in a video but can't find it now.  Is that still a thing? 

I believe the video you're referring to is about the MT07 / FZ07 preload spacers. He experiments with different lenghts of preload spacers since the bike doesn't come stock with adjustable preload. This allows for a very cheap fix to the MT07 poor stock suspension. The Tracer has adjustable preload so that wouldn't be an issue. If you can't get the preload right even with the adjustement (because of your weight and/or ability) then you might want to consider new fork springs.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, Bimbim18 said:

Ok so I gotta replace my dust seals. For stock suspension what fork oil do I need and how much? 

Seal kit arrived, I bought a bench vice and suspension compressing tools and I think in ready to go.... everything but the oil lol. I lost my owner manual,  and in google searches I can only find people discussing aftermarket and modified forks it seems. 

Make sure you also have a fork seal driver

Fork-Seal-Drivers.jpg

To perform a quality at home fork service you need to have the right tools...

As well as a fork oil level measuring tool

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs...

For oil level, (there are many You Tube videos available) I 'usually' hear recommendations of 150mm - 120mm - measured from the top with the forks collapsed and springs removed.  I bought cartridges from "Forks By Matt" and his recommendation oil level was 150mm.  The higher your oil level, the less volume you have for your air gap.

Oil brand doesn't really matter but viscosity surely does, find a quality brand that you can get easily without having to special order and start out with their 5w oil, Maxima, Bel Ray, Motul, Amsoil etc. might all have different viscosity readings for their 5w rated oils.  From what I have tried, one quart will be enough for both fork legs.

Before doing anything, I would personally ensure that you have correct sag set so you are certain that you have the correct springs for your weight.  No sense doing the job twice if you have to later install the correct springs.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***