WTF? Anyone else experience this?

wordsmith

Out on the SP a cuppla days ago I noticed that the gear position digital indicator on the display screen was stuck on 6.   I could change gear quite normally, up or down, and when stopped in neutral the green N light worked, but that's all.

Back home I put the bike onto the rear wheel paddock stand and turned the wheel by hand, changing gears as I went.   The display worked correctly, as it did today when out for another ride.   Anybody else have this occur, and if so any thoughts on the cause?

While pondering the possible cause I couldn't help thinking that over my few MT-09 Tracers plus a Tracer GT - all well-used - and now this SP, this is the first malfunction of any kind I've ever had, which is a testament to the design and quality of these Yamaha machines I believe.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

I’d guess the doohickey down there next to the front sprocket that knows what gear your in had a hiccup. Mine reads 4th intermittently. 3rd is starting to blink out. Sometimes you can take it out and clean it for a fix. Or at least that’s what I’ve been told. 

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

Thank you so much, enx!   I hadn't expected any really helpful input like this, but will keep it 'on file' for possible future use!

Very much obliged!

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.