Who has the SW MOTECH Engage tank bag?

I picked up one and like opinions on the best “location” to install the mounting bracket under the bag?? Don’t want to drill holes and find out after that it’s too forward or back. Tried sitting the bag over the gas cap but it’s not an exact science 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m cheating here and want to learn from other people’s success or mistakes

if you post pics or give me measurements of the underside of the bag and a comment of how your happy or unhappy with the install of the bracket I’d very much appreciate it😁

cheers

@NormR I love this bag, here's how it sits on my bike, when you do install the bag it's a good idea to leave the supplied template on the bottom of the bag and fix the mounting plate to it. Otherwise you may find the bag sits a tad low and you have to fiddle around to get it to lock easily. See the discussiopn part way through this thread.....

I'll whip the bag off the bike and get some pics with measuremens for you shortly

IMG_0355.JPG

Edited by bowlin01
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I didn't install mine. I bought it used off of a member. 

20201230_081214.jpg

20201230_081229.jpg

20201230_081253.jpg

20201230_081438.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, NormR said:

I picked up one and like opinions on the best “location” to install the mounting bracket under the bag?? Don’t want to drill holes and find out after that it’s too forward or back. Tried sitting the bag over the gas cap but it’s not an exact science 🤷🏻‍♂️

Before I drilled the mount plate holes, I installed the tank ring and then the mount plate so it was stationary.  I sat the tank bag on the mount plate and slid it fore and aft until I got the best position (for me) to fit to the tank curve.  In my case, the mount plate was in the rearmost position, pushing the tank bag as far forward as possible, though your individual tastes and preference could be different.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Ditto, of course, where / how Betoney did it.  BTW, as revealed in an associated thread, I bought a 5 mm Cleco type pin that if you drill the hole as instructed, when inserted, locks the bag to the ring (meaning a casual thief could be stumped even if they cut a zipper pull lock off.

Fddriver2, it appears you mounted your McCruise Slim switch where I did (based on my input?). 😎

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Fddriver2, it appears you mounted your McCruise Slim switch where I did (based on my input?). 😎

Most likely. 😀 I read that thread pretty hard and didn't make a final decision until the last steps. That's where it belongs IMO. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

Most likely. 😀 I read that thread pretty hard and didn't make a final decision until the last steps. That's where it belongs IMO. 👍

As the French would say "but of course"

I managed to have them send me both the slim switch and the standard switch and actually was going to work out a template for them for an adapter plate but after evaluating, as any good 70s era aerospace engineer would have done, found the only logical option was to bond with clear double-side 3M tape a 4.5 mm thick spacer between the slim switch and the underside of the left control pod (2nd pic) versus as tried by McCruise (1st pick to left of control pod, or to its right; an even more awkward stretch); which has worked out well for me even if is a bit of stretch with your thumb (and I have size 11 mits albeit with shorter fingers) to the press the far right button, which for me and most people, I think is the resume button.

Crusie switch Left of switchblock.jpg

20200318_164820.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I didn't realize with the GV that you could see the red lock ring when it was on I like my engage better if for any other reason

I also appreciate that it is sculpted to the bike and not just a box on a ring.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif