Sign in to follow this  
peteinpa

Front Race Tech springs install help.

So a bit of a rant...I'm sick of the lack of caring/customer support out there. Just give me your money and get out of my face is the new mantra. It's viral everywhere.

E-mails to Race Tech, Sonic Springs,  Company I got the Race Tech springs from, all un-answered.

I wanted to see if I wanted to return the Race Tech springs and go Sonic but got ZERO. I'll have to pay shipping to return the Race Tech springs. Rather avoid that hassle.

All I have left is you guys. Should I cut the OEM spacer to account for the added length of the Race Tech spring?  (I want to leave the spacer 5-8mm longer then the math calls for, for more preload) I'd like to do this only once correctly. I don't want to be removing forks during the riding season if it can be helped. 

1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

All I have left is you guys. Should I cut the OEM spacer to account for the added length of the Race Tech spring?  (I want to leave the spacer 5-8mm longer then the math calls for, for more preload) I'd like to do this only once correctly. I don't want to be removing forks during the riding season if it can be helped. 

Considering the circumstances, at this point -if it were me- since you already have everything ready to go, I would proceed with the plan of cutting the spacer. 

One thought on longer spacer length with stiffer springs - as an example (I'm using random numbers here) if a .70kg spring and spacer combo had a combined final length of 300mm and then you installed .95kg springs and spacer with the exact same 300mm final length, the stiffer springs will compress or sag less once installed (stiffer spring will require more force/weight  to compress equal distance). 

Combining a stiffer spring AND a 5-8mm longer spacer might make it difficult to achieve proper sag settings unless you are already currently using all of your preload adjustment on your fork cap.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Posted (edited)

If you don't go anywhere with Race Tech support for a return etc., I think you'll be good to cut the spacers, but first check the fit of the OE spacer against the new spring to make sure it sits right and doesn't flop about. There is a note on the FZ board about some kind of washer that Race Tech supplies... but that might be for their own spacer tubing. Obviously cut the spacer true or the washer on top of the spacer won't fit on properly, forcing the assembly crooked. Cut with a margin to be able make corrections. That spacer plastic feels like the type that may be easy to crack while cutting/drilling, so use caution.

This may be applicable... check diameter on each end of the spring. The end of the spring with smaller diameter should be facing up (against the spacer). This is what the service manual calls for. This may be because the OE spring was progressive, but anyway... so you know. The fit against the spacer is better that way anyway. My Stoltec springs measured different at each end, albeit not by much.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif - IBA #66956 - 2015 Yamaha FJ-09