Riding high

1 hour ago, keithu said:

I'll have whatever he's having.

Free to all. Just high on life and riding my bike. I confess to liking to play with words to try and get closer to what seems true. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

Free to all. Just high on life and riding my bike. I confess to liking to play with words to try and get closer to what seems true. 

That's exactly what I was thinking.

• Thumbsup 1

Salish900,

I`ll have to admit to a certain mental karma thingy going on while I ride but that`s primarily due to me concentrating on the road since while I`m riding, everything else falls by the wayside and it`s only the bike and I. A good reset for me.

I therefore have to caution you (if you`ll allow a pearl of wisdom from me that is) not to get so involved into your mental ruminations upon the "meaning of life" to fail to notice the new patch of gravel in the road or the car that`s running the stop sign just up ahead. Otherwise, you may be suddenly concentrating on what was the meaning of your life...😬 

Coop is good on imparting pearls of wisdom too...eh Coop? Just don`t ask him about his pet Bobcats 😁

If I were merely a space cadet or fluffy mind jockey I would need to more closely heed your well intentioned sharing @DaStray. In my case, I am one who has reached my 50's after seriously adventuring across and through many hazardous wilderness areas for extended solo journeys and seem fortunate to have a mind that can be laser focused on reality while spinning off some other neurons for flights of universal fancy. 

It's sort of like the saying that there are bold pilots and old pilots but no old and bold pilots. As an MSF rider coach I have the statistics near at hand on fatalities being the primary domain of young men 18-25 and older men who drink and ride. Toss those two things out, along with wearing a helmet, and you toss out over 70% of all fatalities. 

I actually think your first paragraph about the focus you feel when riding is the very source of the mental liberation I speak of. It's like other times of intense mental focus, you are somehow freed up for some part of our consciousness to release from the humdrum of minutiae. I find trail running to be a great mediation for this reason. Even more than riding a motorcycle safely, running a single track trail quickly requires the ultimate in focus. And yet when doing so I find my mind fully capable of considering the nature of time and by not thinking, I am free to think more clearly. If that makes sense, then we have much to discuss! 

It is unusual for a motorcycle forum to find willing ears for less than mechanical concerns, and so I appreciate this one for doing so. Today I oiled my chain and cleaned my bike. There, back on topic. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

I get what your saying, motorcycling is among the best "drugs" one can imbibe. Did sound a bit like you might have stumbled across a particularly potent patch of Psilocybin mushrooms whilst out riding🤠

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Ride365 said:

I don't feel much to be happy about these days as of late, but agree that a ride always helps calm the soul and mind for a bit.

That's why it is called "Two Wheel Therapy".  No matter what I am going through or how bad the work week was, a few hours out on the bike makes EVERYTHING seem better. 😎

This time of year my biggest hurdle is to get out of the warm house on a cold morning, once I'm underway though, the twisty roads and fresh air makes it all worth it.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***