Niken (non GT) metal top case and panniers

Bruno

Greetings folks, I really would like to equip my Niken with some luggage (top case and panniers).

I really would like to find some kind of way to fit the metal (black) ones. But wherever I look, Shad, Givi, etc, the only moutings brackets available for the Niken just fit the plastic cases, which I don't like so much.

Do you know any way to solve this? Or maybe any brand I am unaware of?

• Supporting Member
On 1/9/2021 at 5:13 PM, Bruno said:

Greetings folks, I really would like to equip my Niken with some luggage (top case and panniers).

I really would like to find some kind of way to fit the metal (black) ones. But wherever I look, Shad, Givi, etc, the only moutings brackets available for the Niken just fit the plastic cases, which I don't like so much.

Do you know any way to solve this? Or maybe any brand I am unaware of?

I've been looking at hard cases but not specifically the metal ones. I know that Givi makes a hard top case with mounting bracket which I have, but they specifically do not make  hard case mounts for panniers (I confirmed with Givi America). 

I ran across some hard metal cases from SW Motech. What I don't know is whether they actually produce a mounting bracket specifically for the Nikens. Only things I've seen are some smaller  metro cases available. 

I've not yet checked Touratech. They might be worth a shot. 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

A friend of mine has a 2019 V Strom 1000. This comes with SW Motech panniers like this: 

s-l400.jpg

Suzuki DL1000X AL8 V-STROM 2018 (3896). Right luggage pannier. It...
s-l400.jpg

GENUINE SUZUKI V STROM DL DL1000 SIDE CASE SET ALUMINIUM...

We compared and these will fit the motech rack that is on my Niken GT. So if you reference pannier then you should be able to get a set of these and fit them to a GT rack. You would need to be certain. To be fair the frames on the Strom are beefier, so if was fitting metal cases to a GT rack i'd put a cross bar in to provide some reinforcement.

Givi also do a PLXR rack 

s-l400.jpg

Portavaligie laterale a rimozione rapida specifico per valigie V35 v37...

These are of interest to me, as i have V35 cases (which ive been using for years and are covered in stickers) - but as far as i know Givi do not make a metal case for these racks.

As with all these things, do not take my advice as gospel - I'm pretty certain Metal Motech cases (with the correct interface) will fit the GT rack, but please double check before you spend any money.

I have been looking for a set of LoneRider MotoBags. These are a mix of hard and soft luggage. They tell me they have a Niken owner who fit these using the OEM racks using only a few tweaks.
I think I am buying the OEM racks and try these...

As for the Motech, they tell me only racks to fit Sysbag15 is avaliable... Any bigger is not, maybe because of weight concerns?

6 hours ago, Bruno said:

I have been looking for a set of LoneRider MotoBags. These are a mix of hard and soft luggage. They tell me they have a Niken owner who fit these using the OEM racks using only a few tweaks.
I think I am buying the OEM racks and try these...

As for the Motech, they tell me only racks to fit Sysbag15 is avaliable... Any bigger is not, maybe because of weight concerns?

Agree totally - if i did use the OEM Yamaha-Motech rack with metal panniers id be adding reinforcement; this would probably be a cross brace from one frame to the other. I really dont think they'd support metal boxes with loads, as they are.

• 1 year later...
  • Supporting Member

I wish to mount my Shad 58X top case on the Niken GT. I don’t want to lose the stock grab bars and saw that there is a kit to use those bars to mount a top case. I’ve been looking for install instruction for the Yamaha kit to see if I can use it with my Shad mounting plate. Any insight appreciated. Funny to see Shad advertises there gear on a Tracer against Yamahas recommendation to not have a top case and panniers together.

https://shopyamaha.com/product/details/niken-top-case-mounting-kit?b=Search&ls=yamaha-motor-company&dealernumber=

image.thumb.jpeg.5e513d2709d096bf04efc6e3e10e2f57.jpeg

• Supporting Member

From the Facebook Yamaha Niken owners forum, someone was able to mount givi trekker hard side cases to their Niken using a mount out of Motoco in Japan. http://motoco.co.jp/EU OBK KIT/EUOBK NIKEN/OBK NIKEN.html?fbclid=IwAR2vXCamsCI9328NxCsfhtQLdNxyRKbuXyF409I3gRjKvPUu0t3WuTwe3cY

niken_motoco1.jpeg

niken_motoco3.png

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• 3 months later...
  • Supporting Member

I'm in the market for a small tank bag. I like the one listed on the Yamaha Euro site under Niken accessories. The tank bag ring loads the bag below the fuel filler hole. This means there is no need to remove the bag when filling up, but it also prevents the bag from blocking the GPS mounted on the center of the handle bar. I can't find a seller for this set-up in the USA, so before purchasing I'm looking for feedback from those that may have installed same.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/rs/sr/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/niken/accessories/tank-bag-ring/bd5-tnkrn-00-00/?path=/?page=4#/

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/rs/sr/products/accessories/accessories-overview/tank-bag-sport/yme-ftbag-sp-00/#/