Do I need specialty tools to change out fork cartridges

Wingnut

I'm replacing the stock fork cartridges and springs on my 2019 Tracer with Ohlins. The NIX 30's have their own tool requirements. Question: if I'm essentially "gutting" the innards of the stock Yamaha fork tubes, re-using nothing, do I need to disassemble them? (remove springs using a compression tool) or can I just hold the assembly while removing the bottom cartridge bolt?

This is a one -shot deal so I'm reluctant to spend money on special tools that I'd never need again. I can make my own pull-up tool and cartridge wrench.

Best video I've found. Will answer all questions.

You "can" go homemade on a spring compressor, wood, metal,... You Tube again.

I figure all the money I'm saving on labor, a little can go towards tools.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

If you're not keeping anything, unsrew top cap from fork tube, dump the oil, undo the bolt at bottom (need a long hex bit) and remove the assembly.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Still need the spring compressor to get the fork cap. Unless even that is replaced.

He's replacing it all but the fork tubes. It helps to use an impact driver to undo the cartridge bolts, but not necessary.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Still need the spring compressor to get the fork cap. Unless even that is replaced.

Replacement cartridges use custom fork caps, the cartridge, spring and cap are assembled as one unit, pull out the old one and drop in the new one.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Ya, "some kit", pushing a grand 🙄. I'd love to do all my own machine work but I lost most of my years of acquired tools to an ex's lawyer. The cost of replacing all that and STILL doing all the work didn't make sense so opted for a "someone else figured it all out" kit. I get a lot of satisfaction making my own tools, but I can't help but grind the molars a bit when I see obscene prices for little stamped out pieces of crap (I've had that job a few times). Curse of my background. 

Hey all, thanks for everything!!

• Thumbsup 1

46mm socket for the cap. oil level set with slurp tube (motion pro-like thing). It'll all be set before assembly. I've rethunk my original post, the damper rod rotates freely in the damper tube when hot connected to the fork cap, not much help in holding the cartridge from rotating when removing the bottom retainer bolt. Other manufacturers have a slot or groove in the bottom of the fork stanchion that mates with the cartridge foot. So other than aligning and seating the damper tube foot before cranking on the retainer bolt there're no special tools req'd. Since Yamaha offers the tool I'm assuming that design feature isn't present in my fork tubes.

THIS ...is NUTS!

https://www.partsvu.com/damper-rod-holder-90890-01582-00.html

It's a piece of 30mm tubing with notches at one end to engage the cartridge to keep it from turning while torqueing the retainer bolt. It isn't massive, it isn't built to jam into the wheels of an attacking M-1Abrams, it's just to keep a slippery hard-to-reach component from rotating until the bolt bites. Unbelievable usury. Yes, I know that Motion Pro makes one too but it's too short, disappears into the fork stanchion, requires some garage McGyvering to use it.

Edited by Wingnut

• Supporting Member
34 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

THIS ...is NUTS!

It's a piece of 30mm tubing with notches at one end to engage the cartridge to keep it from turning while torqueing the retainer bolt. It isn't massive, it isn't built to jam into the wheels of an attacking M-1Abrams, it's just to keep a slippery hard-to-reach component from rotating until the bolt bites. Unbelievable usury. Yes, I know that Motion Pro makes one too but it's too short, disappears into the fork stanchion, requires some garage McGyvering to use it.

If I remember correctly, a few years ago someone here made one like this out of PVC tubing.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
55 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

THIS ...is NUTS!

It's a piece of 30mm tubing with notches at one end to engage the cartridge to keep it from turning while torqueing the retainer bolt.

I made one here... but again, you don't need it to remove the OE cart, and your new NIX carts will need a different tool anyway. Didn't you say the kit comes with tools to install?

Edited by piotrek
  • Thanks 1