Front end vibration at highway speeds

Hey everyone. I have about 6k miles on my 2019 GT and I’ve had a vibration with the front end ever since about 1,000 mile in the clock. It shakes the TFT display and is very appearing at speeds 70 and up. I got the front tire balances today and it seems as if it is even more aggressive now. When I’m going 70+ I can look down at the bottom of the forks and see that are shaking forward and aft pretty decently and only gets worse as speed increases. I checked the steering head and everything was fine there. Any suggestions on what else could be the culprit?

I think I’m going to go to a different shop to balance my tire. There isn’t too much wear on the front or rear either. Thanks everyone.

If you rebalanced and it still shakes, sounds like a tire problem.  I'd raise the front, push the brake pads in and spin the wheel. look for run out and bulges.

Some times the mold didn't get hot enough and the tire layers delaminate.

• Thumbsup 1

This could indeed be a tire issue. In fact the Orig equipment tires are not that great and may be worn badly at this milage... Maybe, but ing that were the case the tech should have noticed. but it also may not be.

This is really dangerous and can result in a tank slapper which can be very hard top control.. Did you have the dealership guy ride i and actually feel it first hand?

It could be a bad tire, but also several other issues are possible, but it is a problem the dealership should experience and deal with. I can't believe they actually rode the thing experienced this and then sent you out on the road. 

Please make sure the dealership, a Yamaha Dealership since your bike is nearly new, experiences this themselves, and don't ride the bike until it is fixed. This is not OK.

On 1/10/2021 at 4:47 PM, peteinpa said:

If you rebalanced and it still shakes, sounds like a tire problem.  I'd raise the front, push the brake pads in and spin the wheel. look for run out and bulges.

Some times the mold didn't get hot enough and the tire layers delaminate.

Just put a Perelli Rosso 3 on the front and took all the weights off and balanced it. Seems to have fixed the issue! Smooth sailing 100MPH+. I don’t go fast often but it’s just a warm and fuzzy that there won’t be premature wear on the front end now. Has there been anything saying people have had issues with the stock tires on the GT’s or base tracers? Thanks for the help!

• Thumbsup 2

I bought my ‘19 Tracer GT used with 4400 miles and it had a new set of “balanced” Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires.   The front tire/wheel had a severe hop above 75mph so it was rebalanced by me on my static NoMar tire balancer, re-installed, and then rode smooth as glass.

You did the correct thing in replacing the apparently bad OEM front tire.....it happens as I have had a couple of bad tires in the past.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Thumbsup 1