Stuck on DC USB port install. Please help.

petshark

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, petshark said:

Oh man, I did three jobs today on the bike, and 2 out of 3 went wrong. I’ll start with this one (all three have their own thread here 🙂).

I thought the threads were plastic but there are metal. I spent one hour using sandpaper but in the end it still wouldn’t go through and the plastic ring no longer had grip. To make it worse it got stuck 3/4 of the way through and I had to resort to pliers to try and turn it more. It worked but the front plate of the plug got damaged even while I used a rubber band around it. 
So it’s installed and really tight without the ring nut.
And it works but I will order another one and a cone drill bit. I see different widths on Amazon so I guess I have one that is extra wide. It’s marked as 30mm and there are some that are supposed to be 27mm. Oh well. On to the next thread.

Bummer.  Sorry to hear that my alternative suggestion didn't work for you.  My device has a plastic body so there is the first difference, and as you say there are several on the market at different widths so it sounds like yours is one of the larger ones.

Seems like you had all of the factors working against you for that method of installation. 😞

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 1/17/2021 at 7:41 PM, texscottyd said:

So far, so good.  

And... I spoke too soon.  Mine gave up mid-ride today.   The voltmeter still works, so I know it’s getting power, but both USB outlets are dead.  My guess is the bike’s vibration did in something in the voltage transformer.   Oh well, they’re cheap and I have another one on the shelf...  

Anyone have a source for a durable, high-quality dual USB port?   I would gladly pay more to get one that is going to last... 

1 hour ago, ilanr1 said:

Hi , can you please explain what is quick charging here ? , we all know that it's a wire with 2A fuse ?

The peak current on Quick Charge 3.0 is the same as for Quick Charge 2.0 and most USB Battery Charging adapters: 2.0A. That's because it's designed to work over existing USB 2.0 connectors and cables, which are rated no higher… in fact, most USB jacks are rated at 1.8A.

Quick Charge increases power to the phone by increasing voltage, not current. A Quick Charge 2.0 device can charge at 5V, 9V, or 12V, while a Quick Charge 3.0 device can charge at voltages between 3.2V and 20V at 200mV increments. Both support power up to 18W, versus 7.5W from the standard Battery Charging spec of 5V at 1.5A.

Qualcomm says that 3.0 is mostly about increases efficiency. The phone can dynamically request just the power it needs, and since there is feedback between the phone and the power brick, this can compensate for voltage loss across the cable as well.

source:

On 1/18/2021 at 6:34 AM, texscottyd said:

I forgot about that little detail...  sorry!   The opening needs to be enlarged  just slightly to get the new outlet to fit.  I did it in about 10 minutes with a combination hand file and a grinding stone in my power drill.   The metal is soft, and you only need a fraction more clearance... it sounds more complicated than it actually is.    Just stuff a towel down underneath the hole if you want to try and capture any metal shavings.  

6C67A78B-C04C-4EBB-94E6-1B9B57672E98.thumb.jpeg.9c8867296d4900868de17705bd6824f8.jpeg

An earlier method that I used was simply to file away some of the relatively soft plastic threads on the new outlet...

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

5 hours ago, texscottyd said:

And... I spoke too soon.  Mine gave up mid-ride today.   The voltmeter still works, so I know it’s getting power, but both USB outlets are dead.  My guess is the bike’s vibration did in something in the voltage transformer.   Oh well, they’re cheap and I have another on one the shelf...  

Anyone have a source for a durable, high-quality dual USB port?   I would gladly pay more to get one that is going to last... 

I've ordered two new ones, both with closed lids for peace of mind. Although the one I used before on the Versys (and have now massacred with tools) has never failed me.

IMG_4DE53F3911B4-1.thumb.jpeg.9d93fa110b5dbd2acfe90aee7c21414b.jpegI have high expectations for this one.
It's a lot more expensive for a direct China order, most of the other one are 3 to 4 euros. It also has a USB C port so future proof. I will keep you up to date when I get it.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

An earlier method that I used was simply to file away some of the relatively soft plastic threads on the new outlet...

I tried this but mine turned out to be aluminium threads and when I finally sanded those down enough to get it almost through the hole the ring no longer had enough thread to hold on to. So this all depends which of the many versions out there you get. Who knows, some might even fit without modification...

All you need to do to the existing hole is take a small drum wheel sander with a dremel and take off maybe a 1000th if that of the hole and the thing just slides in. Then the nut will easily hold it in place. That is how I did mine no issues to date. Mine has the cover on it and I have washed the bike with no issues.

• Thumbsup 1

On 1/17/2021 at 9:23 PM, smeller said:

When I installed this voltmeter/charger on mine.

I had to use a step/cone drill and tried to catch the metal scrapings with paper. To prevent rust on the mild steel bracket I used some frame touch up paint.

96275_W3.jpg

Found on Google from harborfreight.com

I have exactly the same one coming (as well as the drill bit and some anti rust paint).

I'd be interested to hear your experience with rain on this charger. Can it still get under the cap or is this one really waterproof?

9 hours ago, petshark said:

I have exactly the same one coming (as well as the drill bit and some anti rust paint).

I'd be interested to hear your experience with rain on this charger. Can it still get under the cap or is this one really waterproof?

I have been driving in rain, parking the bike outside and washed the bike. So far it's still showing voltage, but I actually  don't know if it still works with regards to charging, because I stopped using it after I installed a holder with built in wireless charging.

On 1/27/2021 at 9:55 AM, smeller said:

I have been driving in rain, parking the bike outside and washed the bike. So far it's still showing voltage, but I actually  don't know if it still works with regards to charging, because I stopped using it after I installed a holder with built in wireless charging.

Nice!

I like that @petshark, having USB C is nice, I have cables that are standard USB to USB C to adapt it to older stuff.  

@smeller that's a nice wireless charger but I'm still nervous about putting my phone on the bars after it was messed up by my BMW which vibrated a lot more.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

I tossed the old cigarette lighter style USB plug in the saddlebag to have as a spare, just in case the fancy new dual USB outlet died.   Which, of course, it did...  

Here’s a pro tip on keeping those plugs firmly in place, as they tend to back out of the socket due to vibrations. 

DAB1CD36-A368-4672-BA6A-112AD2B2FCC7.thumb.jpeg.fb1291f004a1232b2b2d8fc6112a57b4.jpeg

Rubber bands are your friend.  Along with duct tape and safety wire, of course... :) 

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I tossed the old cigarette lighter style USB plug in the saddlebag to have as a spare, just in case the fancy new dual USB outlet died.   Which, of course, it did...  

Here’s a pro tip on keeping those plugs firmly in place, as they tend to back out of the socket due to vibrations. 

DAB1CD36-A368-4672-BA6A-112AD2B2FCC7.thumb.jpeg.fb1291f004a1232b2b2d8fc6112a57b4.jpeg

Rubber bands are your friend.  Along with duct tape and safety wire, of course... :) 

That's actually a great idea. 👍

I tried wedging thin strips of cardboard as a shim as well as pulling the metal contacts out wider on the power plug but it would always vibrate out and lose connectivity.  I finally gave upon it.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Installed a double USB charger similar to petshark above.  The body of mine is plastic so I had to file down the threads to get it to fit in the hole. Luckily there was still some grip left for the retainer screw to tighten down. Just to be safe I added some black silicone adhesive behind the retainer to prevent it from coming loose. I had originally purchased a Yamaha cig lighter type charger like the one installed on the left side, so I removed the connector from it. Now I could just plug into the 12v switched aux plug available behind the screen for a stock like connection.

I will hard wire my GPS to one of the two spare aux plugs and will probably run a wire from the second one for extra lights down the road, that is if these spare outlets will have enough oomph for lights?

I ordered some stock connectors that will plug into the spares from ebay.

Yamaha DC Power Outlet Connector with cable FZ6 MT07 MT09 FZ07 FZ09 XSR TRACER

USB FJ09 2.jpg

• Thumbsup 1