New member 900 GT questions

sabre85

Gentleman, thanks for your replies. Checked the bag latches, well only the one I have (one bag was damaged on the showroom, replacement on order), and all seemed to be good. Chain was adjusted correctly, thanks for the heads up Johnmark, will keep an eye out for that. That may help with my chain maintenance shortcomings! 

Randy, as for your take on the Roadsmarts, that is spot on with my experience. Tires are really a subjective topic, but for me after about 15 sets of the roadsmarts I highly recommend them. Brakes fall into that same category too, I have always gone for HH pads, like that initial quick bite.

Took a short ride yesterday and took note of the rear brake and was satisfied with its performance. Probably going to have adjust my riding style a bit coming off 20 years on the  VFR with the linked brakes. 

Randy I see you've also got a wing, had my F6B to Traxxion for the "full monty" upgrade... transformational on my wing. It seems from what I've read here that I'll be looking for upgrades on the Tracer. I think I read somewhere that the Penske shock that they use does not have remote preload adjustment. That would be a non starter for me. I love the Ohlins on my VFR, fully adjustable, rebuildable, and oh so pricey. Guess Ill have to wait for the weather till I can get out and do some "scratchin'" to see how much the credit card is going to suffer!

Johnmark101 we should try and hook up when the weather breaks, we've probably covered a lot of the same roads.

wrenchbender same goes for you too if your close enough in Ohio.

Once again, thanks guys

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, sabre85 said:

Randy I see you've also got a wing, had my F6B to Traxxion for the "full monty" upgrade... transformational on my wing. It seems from what I've read here that I'll be looking for upgrades on the Tracer. I think I read somewhere that the Penske shock that they use does not have remote preload adjustment. That would be a non starter for me. I love the Ohlins on my VFR, fully adjustable, rebuildable, and oh so pricey.

You are correct about the Penske, -no remote preload adjuster- but the preload is easy enough to change with the supplied tool if you ride two-up.  I only ride solo but a few times a year I put the side bags on for road trips, I have never bothered to chang the preload for that minimal weight change though.  I had my Penske built through Traxxion and it is "OMG-AMAZING", small adjustments have very noticeable changes between canyon carving and highway touring plushness.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
On 1/19/2021 at 6:04 PM, Shizzle said:

The bike is fine right out of the crate for most. I wouldn't want to be a passenger one one though. I'm 6' 235 and the suspension works fine for me as do the stock tires. Wear that set of tires out and then buy what you want.

Ride what makes you happy.  I'd like to look at your "chicken strips." Because the stock tires are not good at all, took mine off at 500 miles for safety's sake. Again, I've ridden a Goldwing for years aggressively down in NC/TN on a car tire rear tire.  You can pretty much do anything on any bike if you want to.  I used to race an enduro 125 Yamaha back in the day against the YZ's, because that's what I had.  Never won, but never came in last either.

Edited by fjray
additional info

On 1/22/2021 at 7:52 AM, sabre85 said:

It seems from what I've read here that I'll be looking for upgrades on the Tracer. I think I read somewhere that the Penske shock that they use does not have remote preload adjustment. That would be a non starter for me. I love the Ohlins on my VFR, fully adjustable, rebuildable, and oh so pricey. Guess Ill have to wait for the weather till I can get out and do some "scratchin'" to see how much the credit card is going to suffer!

Ohlins makes a shock for the Tracer GT that has remote preload adjustment.

YA 537 I have this shock on my 2019 TracerGT and it works really well

22 hours ago, betoney said:

You are correct about the Penske, -no remote preload adjuster- but the preload is easy enough to change with the supplied tool if you ride two-up. 

Have a model number for this Penske?  Sounds like it might fit what I am looking for.

Edited by iitywygms

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, iitywygms said:

Have a model number for this Penske?  Sounds like it might fit what I am looking for.

Penske 8983.  👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***