Too Hot to Ride??

I own a Triumph 800 ABS which, when the ambient temperature is 27 C higher, is extremely uncomfortable to ride due to radiant heat from the engine.  My legs and bum get so hot that it feels like they are burning up.  I want to change over to a similar machine not plagued by this problem. The FJ-09 seems perfect so long as it does not put out excessive heat in warm to hot weather.

So, I would be grateful for any feedback you might have around this issue.  I realise most of the early owners of the FJ-09 will in the northern hemisphere where it is cool to cold at the moment.  But maybe people in Florida or similar will have warm enough temperatures to test this out.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to you all!

James

• Premium Member
This is one of the reasons the FJ-09 took over as top contender for my next bike from the KTM 1190 Adventure. The heat coming off the rear cylinder on that bike is pretty severe from what owners are saying on another forum. Maybe I wouldn't think much of it if I lived up north and not Florida. The FJ's design and low exhaust should make it a non-issue.

I have never had a problem with radiant heat on my previous bikes, so the Tiger 800 was an unhappy surprise.  I'm curious about your comments relating to the FJ-09's design mitigating any heat issues.  What is it about the design that you think helps with this (in addition to the low, short pipe)?  

• Premium Member
I have never had a problem with radiant heat on my previous bikes, so the Tiger 800 was an unhappy surprise.  I'm curious about your comments relating to the FJ-09's design mitigating any heat issues.  What is it about the design that you think helps with this (in addition to the low, short pipe)?  

Mainly that it is virtually identical to the FZ, about which I have heard nothing in terms of complaints of radiant engine heat.

You should have your Triumph dealer set the radiator fan to come on at 95C instead of the stock 103C. It helps considerably. He can do that with his computer, or you can with a program called TuneECU. 
Kevin
Thanks, Kevin.  I hadn't heard of this but it makes sense.  I'll give it a try.

Quick answer, I have a FZ-09 and there isn't enough heat in the cold weather. I did notice a little heat last summer, but there should be heat, it is a internal combustion engine that like to run around 180 degrees. That's hot. Heat is not an issue on the FZ and I am assuming the FJ will be the same.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Quick answer, I have a FZ-09 and there isn't enough heat in the cold weather. I did notice a little heat last summer, but there should be heat, it is a internal combustion engine that like to run around 180 degrees. That's hot. Heat is not an issue on the FZ and I am assuming the FJ will be the same.
Yes I understand that engines, by definition, get hot.  It's just a question of design.  If you don't feel much heat on the FZ-09 during summer then Yamaha must have designed something into it to minimise heat for the rider. Triumph didn't address this issue in the design of the Tiger 800.  From about 25 C upwards it just about cooks both legs and radiates heat up the front into the helmet.  Hence my interest in the FJ-09.  Now, if it only would take GIVI Trekker Outbacks... 
Thanks for your information, redfjniner.  It is quite helpful.

Archived