stock windshield experiment

I like the look. How is it with the wind noise and buffiting?

Definitely improved. A taller rider say 6ft or more, it would be perfect. I'm only 5ft7 or 5ft8, and while its a good deal better and much more tolerable, if I rise up another 2 or 3 inches it gets even better.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

I like the look. How is it with the wind noise and buffiting?
Definitely improved. A taller rider say 6ft or more, it would be perfect. I'm only 5ft7 or 5ft8, and while its a good deal better and much more tolerable, if I rise up another 2 or 3 inches it gets even better.

I am the same height as you and find that I get alot of noise and buffiting with the ermax touring and was thinkin of cutting it and adding something that brings the wind screen more foward. What did you use to shim and how did you cut the screen?

I am the same height as you and find that I get alot of noise and buffiting with the ermax touring and was thinkin of cutting it and adding something that brings the wind screen more foward. What did you use to shim and how did you cut the screen?

I just masked the screen and cut it wit a fine blade on the jigsaw. Sanded the edges after and "flame polished" the edges with a propane torch. It is shimmed at the bottom of the plate that has the rubber mount plugs. (From behind) The bottom 2 screws for the screen are also shimmed to tip the whole angle back. I figure this does much the same as cutting it shorter. The shims are plastic coated aluminum washers I have from the transmission rebuilding trade.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Maybe try cutting the stock first? You payed good money for the Ermax....
2015 Matte Grey

Maybe try cutting the stock first? You payed good money for the Ermax....
The ermaxx is around $100. Something tells !e if you were to get a replacement stock Yamaha you would be looking at 200+ just a guess of course. 

I'm sure there will be plenty of good barely used stock ones around soon as folks swap for aftermarket upgrades.
2015 Matte Grey

• Premium Member
Anyone try taping over the channels to the side and below the headlights? Or maybe taping the gaps where the handlebar guards fit and riding straight. I'm wondering how much the fairing aerodynamics affect noise separate from the windshield.

The wind noise is loud, but I don't get any head buffeting like I experienced on a friend's original gen FZ1 years ago. I'm wondering if it's a combination of wind adding up.

Edited to add: I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam. Seat in the high position and windshield in the low position solves my noise problem acceptably. Wind hits me on the neck, which is fine except in the winter.

It's nice to have a choice. With the seat low, windshield high, and a little slouch, I can be in completely still air. Good for riding through frog stranglers.

Archived