Sometimes wont upshift

I noticed that occasionally when , after pulling in the clutch , it would not upshift into gear. It is doing this in no paticular gear. With the clucth still pulled in , i let off pressure from the shifter and try again. It will shift gears after 1 or 2 trys. It is very random. Most of the time it shifts just fine. Its been 3 consecutive days its done this. Ive had the bike for 2 years and this hasnt happened til now. Ive adjusted the clutch cable , and checked the linkage. Everything seems in order.   I have over 30 years of riding experience , and have never had this happen. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Edited by Dave Shelton
Added content

This happens to me frequently, both using the auto shifter and clutch. In my situation it appears to be from my big toed (sp) boots. I have to make sure I make a conscious decision to make sure the shifter has been released by flexing my ankle / foot down. I have adjusted the shift knob, but may need to go a bit further. I hope that all makes sense. 

• Thumbsup 2

I noticed the same thing a few times when I first road mine home from the dealership. I  Iooked at the shifter and it seems  a bit low from the factory , I was going to try and adjust the linkage but instead moved the upper lever on splined input up 1 spline ,problem solved. 100 percent improvement. I think they had this designed for a crouching rider with a forward lean and now the motor is in an upright riding position bike..It worked for me anyway. OOPS maybe that was down to get the lever up.

MIKE

• Thumbsup 3

18 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

Like everyone else said, really touchy on being fully dropped on the shift lever.

Any chance you got new boots recently? That's when I noticed it was happening for me.

Boots aren't new, they're just big clunky adventure boots.

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, GTO MIKE said:

moved the upper lever on splined input up 1 spline ,problem solved.

I did this, also.  The shift lever was fine with the city boots, but the touring boots have a much fatter toe.  One spline up and I'm good in either pair of boots now.

• Thumbsup 3

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

I'm with the others on the boots. I have heavier boots for when I'm just riding and lighter hiking style boots for when I commute to work. Sometimes I'll miss a shift after swapping boots simply because the difference in boot. YMMV

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Same here........had this occur with new boots.  Went from Sidi to Alpinestars and the latter has a taller toe box.  After a while the toe box developed a slight indentation from using the shifter and the problem solved itself.  Just a matter of a few millimeters.

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

4 hours ago, koth442 said:

Make sure your shift linkage is all tight. @com3, didn't you have an issue with a piece of the shift linkage being installed incorrectly from the factory? 

Ehhh...everything was just a little wrong from factory... Haha! But no, they replaced the o-ring or something on recall...but since I run reverse shift, they put it back how it was, but screwed the bolt on from the backside instead of how it's supposed to be (threaded side out). Haha.