Brake pad install

Hi brain trust, I have a question,

Is it really required to bleed the brakes when installing new pads in the front? I have the shop manual and it says to open the bleeders and drain into a vessel. I understand the concept of brakes. Can’t I just push the pistons back with my fingers?

• Thumbsup 1

Yes, just push the pistons in.......clean them first and make sure the reservoir isn’t too full.  I clean the pistons with brake cleaner soaked pipe cleaners and usually remove some brake fluid from the reservoir......then, top off after the pads are pumped into contact with the rotor(s).

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, Waldo Jeffers said:

Hi brain trust, I have a question,

Is it really required to bleed the brakes when installing new pads in the front? I have the shop manual and it says to open the bleeders and drain into a vessel.

No, not at all.  Just remove a caliper, swap the pads, reinstall the caliper and repeat on the other side.  VERY simple process and both sides can be done in only a few minutes.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

10 hours ago, betoney said:

No, not at all.  Just remove a caliper, swap the pads, reinstall the caliper and repeat on the other side.  VERY simple process and both sides can be done in only a few minutes.

Or...about an hour in my case..but still easy and relatively quick.

• Haha 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Depending how fresh your last flush is  just run it out the bleeder. The fluid in the calipers is the worst, it gets all the heat.

No better time to do a flush then when doing pads. 

Exactly. Why wouldn't you change it?  

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Waldo Jeffers said:

Because the bike is pretty new and I’m lazy

Reason enough.  When I'm charging into downhill switchbacks, I want new fluid in the system.  You have a 2020 model but it might be a full year at least on that fluid.  I'm lazy too, which is why I haven't changed to steel braided lines on mine.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Yea, I'm with @Waldo Jeffers but you make a good point.  Mine is a 2020 but production date is late 2019 so fluid probably a year old.  LOL brake pads are on the list after I finish installing LED driving lights and controller and Sound Bomb Mini, fix my Wife's Smart car, install the charger for my new BoltEV .....  The list seems to go on forever and I'm getting further behind!  Wonder what project I will do first?  It will be the wife's car!  

• Thumbsup 1